DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best Drone Choice for stills.

Fltwrench

Reactions
Hello Everyone,
Looking for some opinions. I am only interested in still photos and could care less about video.
I currently have a mavic mini but am considering getting either the new Mavic Air 2 or the old Mavic pro platinum.
I could care less about video. Both fly more packages are about $1000.00.
Will the MA2 yield better results?
Thanks for helping me out.

If you also do not care about portability, you should look into a phantom.

Reactions: Fltwrench
Thanks for the input! I’d get the Mac 2 Pro, but was trying to stay around the $1,000 range.

The Mavic Pro jpeg images were not very good. The DNG files look OK when shot in good light and processed properly. The MA2 has a different sensor that can produce 48 Mp images in good light, but it is not a true 48Mp bayer sensor but a quad bayer one which only has 1/4 as many individual color filters. The photo sites are only 0.8 microns, very tiny, so you will see noise if the light is not bright. Also, the lens is diffraction limited at f/2.8 and 48Mp. You can find some downloadable samples here of MA2 images:

and also here:

Hello Everyone,
Looking for some opinions. I am only interested in still photos and could care less about video.
I currently have a mavic mini but am considering getting either the new Mavic Air 2 or the old Mavic pro platinum.
I could care less about video. Both fly more packages are about $1000.00.
Thanks for helping me out.
I recommend the Mavic 2 Pro with the 1-inch sensor.

The Mavic Pro jpeg images were not very good. The DNG files look OK when shot in good light and processed properly. The MA2 has a different sensor that can produce 48 Mp images in good light, but it is not a true 48Mp bayer sensor but a quad bayer one which only has 1/4 as many individual color filters. The photo sites are only 0.8 microns, very tiny, so you will see noise if the light is not bright. Also, the lens is diffraction limited at f/2.8 and 48Mp. You can find some downloadable samples here of MA2 images:

and also here:
I take it your comments refer to the "Mavic Pro" as you stated and not the Mavic 2 Pro.

Just get the MP2 and Be done with it. If you want the very best then just get the inspire.

.I currently have a mavic mini but am considering getting either the new Mavic Air 2 or the old Mavic pro platinum. I could care less about video. Both fly more packages are about $1000.00.
Yes, for stills and video, the MA2 will yield better results than a Mavic Pro. For that reason, the longer flight time, and better video transmission quality....I would recommend you go with an MA2.

Just get the MP2 and Be done with it. If you want the very best then just get the inspire.

Agree about the M2P if his $1k budget can be expanded, if it can't the MA2.

Inspire ?
Not sure what base Inspire 2 is worht there, but with basic Zenmuse X4S here it's AUD$15,500 (US$9,972).
Think it's a bit hard to imagine the OP is that keen.

As stated above, if you have a limited budget, the Mavic Air 2 would be your best bet because it will have better technology over a older original Pro or Platinum. If you have the money for an upgrade, the Mavic 2 Pro is the best drone in that price range for stills. If you would like, feel free to shoot us a message and we'd be happy to get you over a few quotes and answer any questions you may have to make sure you get into the right set up for your needs.

Thanks,
FDS Team

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I had a MP - now have a M2P.

What a machine - I don’t need to fly at top speed, longest distance or highest legal height.

But I want great stills in RAW mode. This machine does that for me.

It has elevated my photography to new heights- so to say.

It was worth the extra funds.

Just saying

There's a good comparison video here
Skip to the 8:30 mark for photo comparison, but basically he calls it a draw.

So yes, the MA2 will yield better results and have new tech versus the original mavic pro/platinum.

Another alternative is picking up a second hand Mavic 2 pro. I got mine at the $1000 mark (barely used) but that is for a basic kit, no extra battery, etc.

Reactions: Fltwrench
There's a good comparison video here
Skip to the 8:30 mark for photo comparison, but basically he calls it a draw.

So yes, the MA2 will yield better results and have new tech versus the original mavic pro/platinum.

Another alternative is picking up a second hand Mavic 2 pro. I got mine at the $1000 mark (barely used) but that is for a basic kit, no extra battery, etc.
That video was end game for me thanks!!! My MA2 will be here tomorrow UPS!!
Thank you!!

I use my M2P primarily for still photography as well. I thought about getting the Air 2 as well until I saw how much more information (primarily in shadow detail) can be pulled from a RAW M2P file than from an Air 2 RAW file.

If you're not going to physically print your photos bigger than 8x10 the Air 2 should do a great job. But if you want more shadow detail and want to print bigger than 8x10, wait until the M3P comes out and buy a M2P in the used market.

I use my M2P primarily for still photography as well. I thought about getting the Air 2 as well until I saw how much more information (primarily in shadow detail) can be pulled from a RAW M2P file than from an Air 2 RAW file.

If you're not going to physically print your photos bigger than 8x10 the Air 2 should do a great job. But if you want more shadow detail and want to print bigger than 8x10, wait until the M3P comes out and buy a M2P in the used market.
On the close crops there seemed to be much better detail in the 48 MP shots on the MA2 though. The M2P looked really soft.
But there is no beating the low light performance on the 1” M2P sensor.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78