DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best mounts system for crystalsky 5,5 w/ Mavic Pro

The DJI CS mount arrived in lightning speed from @Advexure in just 2 days like everything from them does and I can see it has it's use in the bag. It will not be my main go to mount because I don't like the balance of it in my hands. The MavMount is still the best for me mainly because of the balance and I use a lanyard with it so it helps support it. I rarely look at the screen on the remote, but in the event of a problem with CS I can just look over it to see the remote. I can see where the Shapeways mount could work but I would end up hitting my thumbs on top of the CS. Just in my opinion I'll stick with the MavMount as my main mount on the CS.

Another design flaw

Our thought is that could be because on the Spark (same CS adapter for both Spark and Mavic RC's) you have to use an OTG Cable Adapter prior to connecting the USB and if it was any shorter the cable would not be able to make that turn to connect to the adapter securely.

DJI mentions that the cable on this mount is very well insulated so hopefully it can withstand the wear.

Reactions: cvanhoose
The dji mount looks like it would make your hands uncomfortable while flying. I prefer the monitor above my hands. Just orderd the mavmount for my ipad mini 4. Think I am going to get the Crystalsky 5.5 for ultra portability.
I have heard this so many times, and i think it's true. having the screen below your controller is like having your windsheild below your steering wheel.

I own both the MavMount and the Evolution 3D Mavic CS mounts. After several weeks use, I'm looking forward to DJI's own solution here. MavMount is very well made, but hangs high over the RC, blocks the RC LED screen (which I like to use as a back-up, considering that app crashes occasionally occur, even on the CS). Also, seems like every manufacturer has their own version of a mount that attaches to the CS, so if I fly with a 7.85" on my P4P or Inspire and a Mavmount or other third party on my Mavic or Spark, then there is no quick release which is common to both. Most of us are used to the position of the phone holder on the Mavic RC, so if the CS is placed there as well, with the new mount, then it is where most of us are used to it being, anyway...
Just a heads up... we're making an adapter so that our CS mount will work with all DJI controllers... including phantom and inspire 1 and 2.

i can stand flying with the screen under the controller unbalanced, but I do like an easy swap.

Reactions: Advexure
DJI mount feels great in the hands with the Mavic controller. Having the screen below the controller is perfect. I can now full screen the CS for shots while seeing my flight parameters on the controller, which is highly important for us.
This is working well for live shots taken to the air from the Mavics via the hdmi output on the CS.
Huge benefit: the mount is always attached and fits in the GPC case.
Great setup
Quality hardware as always from DJI.

Last edited:
Tested out installing the new CrystalSky Mount for Mavic (from DJI) tonight. Very interesting mounting mechanism and have to say it's not intuitive at first. No instructions in the manual included that explain how to mount either.

Here are some quick, rough mounting instructions:

First, disconnect the mounting attachment bracket and place that in the grips (see in image 1 and 2). You just need to ensure the two screw holes are open to the bottom of the RC, there does not seem to be a top or bottom to that bracket.You can then push the hand grips in tight, or leave them out because that makes it easier to connect the USB. Take the main bracket, line that up with the two screw holes to the attachment bracket and secure with the two black screws by hand. You then have to mount the CS bracket to the CS Monitor. 2 screws with flathead provided (you then can leave that bracket always installed on the CS). CS slides onto the attachment bracket and then locks using the locking lever. Then connect the USB to the USB port on the bottom of the RC. This USB connection is awfully tight and really stresses the USB cable (we are quite worried about this for the longevity of the equipment). See the USB stress in image 3. After mounting you then have to rotate the display using the quick settings menu option "Flip Display".

This is a nice mounting solution for those who want a mounting option that is a little less obtrusive and works in most cases. Also a solution for those who prefer not to block the RC's telemetry screen (as the MavMount does).

These mounts are now IN STOCK and ready to ship from Advexure: DJI Crystalsky Mavic/Spark Remote Controller Mounting Bracket - Part 5 | Advexure

Feel free to reach out with any questions. Safe flying! :cool:

View attachment 21601 View attachment 21602 View attachment 21603 View attachment 21604

Thanks [emoji106]

Reactions: Advexure
This is a nice mounting solution for those who want a mounting option that is a little less obtrusive and works in most cases. Also a solution for those who prefer not to block the RC's telemetry screen (as the MavMount does).
Just a heads up, to switch from the MavMounts balanced mode, if you'd like the screen below the controller, loosen the ballhead and swing it around. You now have the screen below the controller. MavMount allows the pilot to decide whichever way they like.

20170927_101109.jpg

Last edited:
Just a heads up, to switch from the MavMounts balanced mode, if you'd like the screen below the controller, loosen the ballhead and swing it around. You now have the screen below the controller. MavMount allows the pilot to decide whichever way they like.
]

Good info, thanks for sharing @Aerial West

Still waiting for my MPP but I have been using the Crystalsky with my Osmo+. I got the DJI mount for the Osmo and it's the same quick release as the DJI Mavic mount.

There's no substitute for the convenience of being able to snap the monitor on either device in an instant. Inserting my phone into the controller arms was my least favorite part of the Mavic experience, and the phone mount for the Osmo is even worse. Most 3rd party mounts make use of these standard mounting options, requiring you to still have to fiddle with them.

With the DJI mount, you install it once and forever more the Crystalsky pops on and off with the pull off a lever. It's also great that it doesn't add a lot of bulk to the monitor or the device you're mounting it to. I'm thinking about buying a second Osmo mount so I can have one on the Osmo itself and one on the selfie stick, that way when I'm using it handheld I can have the monitor within reach and when I am using it as a tripod I can quickly swap to the mount on the Osmo.

Reactions: philh24
If this had already been done/posted — I apologize, but perhaps additional photos will help others.

My problem — I like the MavMount plate, but am not a big fan of the ball head. I am a bit fastidious and I always seem to be adjusting and re-adjusting the ball head to get it “just right”.

So, I removed the ball head from the MavMount and used the tripod socket on the MavMount to attach DJI’s Phantom-style bracket. Not way to hold it at the front, but it does not move if you really tighten the bolt at the back (I put zip ties on the front in hopes of keeping the front from moving).

Benefits for me… I can leave the bracket at my preferred angle and it’ll fit in my case that way. No need to adjust the angle when I pull it out to fly. I can use DJI’s quick-release bracket for the CrystalSky and move between my Mavic and Phantom with ease.
IMG_1574.jpg IMG_1576.jpg IMG_1578.jpg IMG_1579.jpg

Not sure if I’m missing the point here but I’ve had one of these for months. Sure. You need the DJI Mount too but I have several devices for it (phantom, osmo) and its a great solution to get the most from the CS across devices.

https://flyhighusa.com/product/mavic-pro-crystal-sky-onyxcarbon-fiber-mounting-bracket/

I have that Fly High USA mount as well. I don’t know why, but when I use the Fly High mount and get the CrystalSky at my preferred angle the CrystalSky seems to interfere with my thumbs on the control sticks. With this set up, I don’t have that problem. I suspect it has to do with how far forward you push the bracket. Additionally, I really like the lip on the MavMount that gives a secure fit to the controller. It is all just personal preference and this is the set up I prefer.

Thanks for all those pics @Paul7of8 I'm really liking that mod...

Could I ask for a couple more pics? One of the bottom of the mount (showing how it's attached) and also a pic of the screen attached and mounted in the Mavic controller? I'm curious to see how much space is left behind for the joysticks.

Also, what does the balance feel like? This is my main love of the MavMount, is the balance. But yes, I too have OCD and the fact I can never get it 'just right' without fiddling winds me up lol :D

Thanks for all those pics @Paul7of8 I'm really liking that mod...

Could I ask for a couple more pics? One of the bottom of the mount (showing how it's attached) and also a pic of the screen attached and mounted in the Mavic controller? I'm curious to see how much space is left behind for the joysticks.

Also, what does the balance feel like? This is my main love of the MavMount, is the balance. But yes, I too have OCD and the fact I can never get it 'just right' without fiddling winds me up lol :D

Strictly speaking, the nut on the bottom is not at all necessary as the tripod socket on the MavMount is indeed threaded. I just put the nut on the bottom to cover the exposed end of the bolt. I’m sorry, but these pictures are not great, but the best I could do quickly.

As for the balance… it is acceptable. I prefer this setup over the Dirty J mount, but I don’t like this setup as much as the Evolution 3D. I really liked the balance of the Evolution mount, but I had to remove that mount to get the controller to fit into my case. I guess I could have just picked up a new case, but I really like that the case I have as it holds everything I need and still fits under the seat in front of me when flying.
20171001-173425.jpg 20171001-173434.jpg 20171001-174439.jpg 20171001-174505.jpg 20171001-174536.jpg 20171001-174556.jpg 20171001-174609.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme