DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best small hobby drone

Iannuzzi4

Reactions
I’ve been doing as much research as possible on this and figured I’d ask for a little help. The few people I’ve chatted with on here have been amazing thus far. Looking for other opinions.

My 6yo son and I want a “better than $20 toy drone” to play with and take some video of him riding a bike or playing in the pool.
I live very close to an airport ISP on Long Island so getting more than a toy to fly at home won’t be possible (at least that’s the conclusion I’ve come to)

Thoughts on what would or could be a good option for me? I was i tidally looking to buy a used Mavric Pro, but I don’t think I’d even be able to take off in front of my house if I understand correctly. Was kind of bummed when I found that out.

Any help would be appreciated

Reactions: RayKelly
@Iannuzzi4 there are a multitude of decent gps drones with acceptable cameras on the market, decide on a price range say $150 to $250 as an example then go on Amazon or Ebay type in GPS camera drones and decide if you want folding ones of not and put your price range you will then be presented with a lot to choose from
remember the cheaper ones dont have the flight time of more expensive ones and most require some batteries for the remote controller
so if they come with an option to have more than one battery then give that some thought as well
if funds run to it try to get one with at least a two axis gimbal though 3 axis is the best and if possible a return to home feature as well
when you find some you like then go on the web and watch some reviews before you make up your mind. (hope this helps)

Last edited:
As far as an operating system similar to the Mavic series, the Tello might suit your needs. Just make sure you get the correct game controller b/c flying it with the virtual sticks via the phone screen isn't user friendly IMO. They hover very nicely and the camera is pretty good. Plus it's a good indoor quad as well. It is limited (in the stock configuration) to about 30 feet max height and distance isn't great but reasonable while staying w/i sight. But there are a lot of cheaper well made drones out there that do a good job as well. The Tello is also so small that most think of it as a toy where a larger drone might raise some eyebrows flying in controlled airspace.

A couple Tello pics:

1520296875986.jpg1520734210274.jpg

The Tello looks cool. May be a good option. Would I be able to get away with the Mini? Or would I not be able to even take off with that?

My neighbors grandson was flying a month ago. I just asked what he had and he has the Parrot Anafi 4K and he was able to fly no problem.

It's whether or not you want to fly in compliance. Even though the Mini is light enough that it doesn't require a FAA registration number, you still are required to follow FAA flight rules. But that's for most anything that can fly including your buddies Parrot. I'm coming at it as the Tello looks more like a toy and is more likely to be dismissed as one. I'd suggest researching where you can legally fly close to your home. Maybe you can travel a short distance to find spots to fly at. Download the free version of Airmap to show where you can fly at. If that is something you're able to do then a better quad is worth a look.

DJI products seem to be built around planned obsolescence so that is a factor purchasing a older Mavic Pro. The new FAA regulations have not been hammered out yet and we don't know what will be implemented in three years. A refurbished MP-1 would still be a reasonable choice and would work fine using it (flying in compliance) for the next three years. The Mini would also be a good choice as it's a step up to the Tello and probably less expensive than a refurbished MP. But the Mavic pro is a work horse & arguably better than the Mini because it has occusync, and ability to handle higher winds. Perhaps you can use LAANC to gain authorization to fly locally?

Here is a link about the Mini

Reactions: Gindra
Tello is worse for wind than the mini though, isn't it ?
I've read many posts saying it should really only be used indoors, or in still air outside, and then only low and close, selfies etc.

Likewise the Mini is just too prone to wind flight problems, power, and uncommanded descents to be a reliable investment overall.

It sounds to me like you are looking for an Air, and as the original Air is about to be superceded, there will probably be some good deals going soon.

You just have to investigate the unlocking of certain airspace, and what you can do this around your home, and parks / other places you normally want to use the drone.
Yes, you'll have to take a simple online test and register the drone, but it will be a lot more reliable in wind.

You oter choice of a refurb or used M1P is good too, a much better drone with signal ocusync, but again you must check if you can unlock in the areas you want to use it.

Or, go with Yuneec, Parrot, other brand in a suitable budget and feature specs.
Still have to take the test and register / label drone.
Most of these are not geofenced like DJI, but be aware of the dangers of flying outside FAA regulations.

Yeah the Tello struggles in wind but I've flown it in a 5mph breeze. And the camera is fixed so it's limited in that aspect. There is no reason not to consider other manufactures and if the OP wants to get around geo-fencing that would be a personal choice. I have one friend with a typhoon and it does a good job. The Manis Q is another entry level drone that would work.

In the US, the recreational test has yet to roll out but quads heavier than the mini must be registered.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I’ve been doing as much research as possible on this and figured I’d ask for a little help. The few people I’ve chatted with on here have been amazing thus far. Looking for other opinions.

My 6yo son and I want a “better than $20 toy drone” to play with and take some video of him riding a bike or playing in the pool.
I live very close to an airport ISP on Long Island so getting more than a toy to fly at home won’t be possible (at least that’s the conclusion I’ve come to)

Thoughts on what would or could be a good option for me? I was i tidally looking to buy a used Mavric Pro, but I don’t think I’d even be able to take off in front of my house if I understand correctly. Was kind of bummed when I found that out.

Any help would be appreciated
I love the Mavic Mini (easy to fly) but the Mavic Air 2 is being released April 27. You need to get the AirMap, Kittyhawk and b4ufly apps to see where you can fly legally.

Appreciate all the feedback thus far!

I did download all of the apps thus far I'm not sure I fully understand it.

When I go to Kittyhawk and type in an address I would fly at (my brothers house) which is about a mile away from the airport. it comes up with 4 alerts.

UAS Facility Map: Permissible altitude for authorization: 0ft But when I click the more option, it says LAANC: Further coordination available upto 400ft. I do know that ISP airport is part of the automated LAANC airport list when I tried to do it.

next warning is

Long Island Macarthur Airport Class C

Next is

Long Island Macarthur Airport Class E2

I have no problem registering the drone and I want to be respectful to the laws for sure, but I would also love to just take do some low flights in the backyard while in the pool etc, but have the option to get some really good shots around the island that are 100% legal. I have no intentions of flying above 20-30ft by my house that is inside the 5 mile range.
When I saw my neighbors grandson flying, he was just going up and down the street (we are on a private road) which is similar to what I would do. He was obviously able to take off and land.

That said, I try to "get Authorization" and it won't let me choose a height. It says that it's not eligable for anything over 0ft.

Would the Anafi be a better choice for me for what I want to do? I found some used ones on Ebay for around $400 which would be ideal price wise. Or would I need to go with something no bigger or better than the Tello?

If you want good video and pics, consider something better than a Tello. Just understand you are responsible for your flights. I mainly fly in remote spots away from the public and follow the FAA and AMA guidelines these days but even away from the crowds I still had a really close encounter with a small aircraft. I never need LAANC authorization because I avoid areas around classified airspace.

I've been into (amateur) photography since the 70's and my MP is just another tool. I also have an OSMO-III and it is a great addition to my equipment.

Thanks. I have absolutely no issue being responsible for my flights. Without a doubt, I would not put myself or anyone else at risk flying too high in an area of my house or my brothers. I would stay at house /tree level the whole time.

Looking at reviews and recent price drops I think I will go for the Anafi

Looking at reviews and recent price drops I think I will go for the Anafi

They look very good, don't they ?
Some of the features, specs, this would be a far better travel drone than most of the DJI range.
There must be some things that aren't as good, no ocusync, but they state "With ANAFI’s new transmission system, each drone leg contains a dual band antenna (2.4GHz & 5GHz), improving HD video streaming and the piloting experience up to 2.5mi away (*)."

Enjoy whatever you end up with, remember there is a ParrotPilots forum too !!
See below, and maybe go spend some time there to really see if there are any issues ??

Reactions: dronerdave
I was just checking pricing, which isn't bad.
No stock in Oz, and this may be the case in the US too, not sure.
Maybe that's the main 'other' drone brand problem, supply and distribution . . . DJI have that sewn up well and truly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk