DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beware of knock off ND filters..

after a long hike I thought I was able to relax and take my drone for a spin at glider's point(southern California), boy it all went down hill..took it out from my bag. I had the 'knock off' filter on them. While at home a few days back, I already had issues first time putting it on MUI not initilizing, but my idiot self thought it could work, a put a little pressure on the gimbal to put on, after a couple tries, well it did initialize. everything was good right? well no, got the notorious gimbal overload error first thing out in the field...

I'm always careful carrying my drone, never a had a crash. I only take it out from my room if I feel like using them..

So we all know the deal with gimbal overload error. I think I've pretty much watched all the videos on YT that may fix it without dissecting it from inside out (replacing the ribbon cable)..the 90 degrees temp fix does work but haven't tried it in action. I heard their all this random errors will show up so I'm having second thoughts if I should even try it out...

Already bought the replacement ribbon from amazon coming in 2 days, already got the necessary tools to take it apart. Mixed with excitement and worries that I might forget a step or two. Just got to be extra careful!

Wish me luck! I'll post an update after a week or so.

oh the filters I got from amazon. Don't let the reviews deceive you..
going cheap served me right..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZVK8B2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fell free to suggest nd filters that you're using and assures that will NOT break the very precious sensitive gimbal..
Polar Pro all the way

I bought a set of 6 filters before a big desert trip back in June, these . . .
NISI 6 pack

They worked fine until half way through the best parts of the desert I got the gimbal overload error and was unable to rectify for the remainder of the trip.

My gimbal would go through calibration but stop with gimbal facing down and a little to the side.

The Mavic had to go back, I got a refurbished unit back and all good.

I spoke to the Aussie company that are the full country distributor, they advised the biggest problem is people not seating them down fully to the ring mark on gimbal, then they are out of alignment and balance.

I tried them again, all fine with a couple of flights now :)

The other prob is weight and some being simply too heavy for the rather sensitive Mavic gimble.
The nisi ones are spec 1.2gms and after weighing found they are all within.
DJI ones are a lot lighter, obviously they know how important the weight is.

I also got a good tip on this forum about fitting them.
Put the gimbal clamp on to help keep it protected when removing or fitting.

If you have the info, check weights of your filters, but I think it'll probably have been the slightly ill fitting that caused this and once you know to watch this you should be ok.

I got a set of 6 Bower filters from Best Buy. Have used the ND4, 8 , 16s and they do the job. The gimbal has room to move if the filter is placed tightly. When I put them on and take off I always leave the gimbal clamp in place.

So you guys have me worried now. I have a set of Neewer filters - I think one of the later generation of theirs. They were cheap, and seem smaller and lighter than many of the other Neewer filters I've seen. https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Multi-coated-Pieces-Filter-Quadcopter/dp/B06WW7YW5G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505611153&sr=8-1&keywords=neewer+mavic+filters I don't really have a use for the ND filters after all, but I've been going back and forth on using the UV filter for simple lens protection. They are a LITTLE tight, but not really difficult to put on and off, unless the rubber inside curls or something. When I do use one, I always put it on with the gimbal clamp in place, and I hold the actual cam head firmly so it doesn't move while I push the filter on firmly. I'm not really worried about 'installation' damage, but I AM now worried that the weight of the UV filter over time might stress the gimbal such that I might get overload errors at some point. Should I just say screw it and go naked?

Would love some advice on this one...
LP

I've been using neewer as well. One thing I notice is that I need to make sure the filter is snugged in right. Make sure the end of the filter is covering the gimbal ring or you will end up with the overload error. It snaps off easily. Make sure ALWAYS have a GIMBAL CLAMP during the process of removing or putting it on.

Reactions: Chadnovz
I've been using neewer as well. One thing I notice is that I need to make sure the filter is snugged in right. Make sure the end of the filter is covering the gimbal ring or you will end up with the overload error. It snaps off easily. Make sure ALWAYS have a GIMBAL CLAMP during the process of removing or putting it on.

Like me, it sounds like others are happy with the newer Neewer filters. However, it still doesn't address the weight question. How do we know we're not stressing the gimbal? Anybody have an idea what might be acceptable from a weight perspective? How much do the PolarPro filters weigh? As we all agree, PP makes great stuff, so I tend to trust their judgement. (Even though I don't have PP filters, I have a bunch of their other products).

I just weighed my Neewer filters, and my CPL is 1.4g, and the ND filters are all 1.1g. I didn't weigh my UV filter because frankly I just don't want to take it on and off again unless I'm going to take it off permanently.

LP

Last edited:
Reactions: Chadnovz
How much do the PolarPro filters weigh?LP

Our ND filters for the Mavic weigh 1.06g each. ND-PL filters weigh 1.31g each. Our filters are well below the weight of what the gimbals can handle.

- Oliver from PolarPro

I got a refurbished Mavic returned, after sending mine in on warranty with a determined Gimbal Overload error.
The new unit seems to have a lot smoother calibration, doesn't throw it around quite as heavily as my original unit.
Maybe that had something to do with my original problem, but using Nisi filters (weighed a few and each just under 1.2gm).

That is an older thread discussing something we were encountering with the prior generation of Mavic filters. The calibration trouble it mentions has since been resolved.

- Oliver from PolarPro

Thanks Oliver. I totally get it, and I meant no disrespect - I think you guys make great products. I know none of your products conflict with the gimbal cal during startup now. What I'm questioning now is whether ANY load on the gimbal could cause a long term stress issue. With all the camera resets, discussions about ribbon cables, gimbal overloads, etc., for my own sanity I've just decided not to put any additional load on it.

LP

Thanks Oliver. I totally get it, and I meant no disrespect - I think you guys make great products. I know none of your products conflict with the gimbal cal during startup now. What I'm questioning now is whether ANY load on the gimbal could cause a long term stress issue. With all the camera resets, discussions about ribbon cables, gimbal overloads, etc., for my own sanity I've just decided not to put any additional load on it.

No worries at all, I completely understand the concern. I only replied because I wanted to make sure no one reading the comment came away thinking there was an ongoing issue. It's a fairly common question we get about the filters.

- Oliver from PolarPro

No worries at all, I completely understand the concern. I only replied because I wanted to make sure no one reading the comment came away thinking there was an ongoing issue. It's a fairly common question we get about the filters.

- Oliver from PolarPro

Totally fair...and I agree. Thanks!
LP

I got the Polar Pro Cinema Series Vivid Collection 3-Filter Pack and have had no problems. They are polarized neutral-density filters and do improve the video quality by allowing you to slow down the frame rate to control jittery video. Since they are polarized, before using them I looked through them while rotating to see the best polarizing effect, then I marked that position for mounting. It would be nice if these came with that spot already indicated.

Last edited:
I have both the Polar Pro(vivid collection) and the PGYTECH (ND 4 Set) filters. The Polar Pro is awesome and does a great job. :)
The PGYTECH is also great. The quality is really outstanding compared with some other brands. It is a good choice for those with a smaller budget !

folks, im not trying to bash the other filters, not my intention at all. I just wanted to share my own experience with the ones I got. If you have better experience with other brands/seller, then good for you. I just happen to have bought the bad quality filters.
Weather you brought bad filters or not the problem you have experienced with the gimbal flex failure would have happened regardless and has nothing to do with the filters, it's just a coincidence.

The gimbal flex for motor control when installed has a couple of half twists and the one at the top that exits from the gimbal can be installed slightly crooked.

As the gimbal go's through its calibration process and at its extreme extents the crooked part of the flex catches on (rubs) against the body of fixed gimbal holder.
Eventually the side of the flex over time is torn causing the fatal calibration error.

Only fix is new motor ribbon cable and make sure it is extruded straight from gimbal for half circle and not at Crooked angle or it will just happen again.

It also appears a certain batch of Mavics left factory in this condition and hence the result but DJI will fix free under warranty as they have done so for many already.

Last edited:
Reactions: Masheen
So you guys have me worried now. I have a set of Neewer filters - I think one of the later generation of theirs. They were cheap, and seem smaller and lighter than many of the other Neewer filters I've seen. https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Multi-coated-Pieces-Filter-Quadcopter/dp/B06WW7YW5G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505611153&sr=8-1&keywords=neewer+mavic+filters I don't really have a use for the ND filters after all, but I've been going back and forth on using the UV filter for simple lens protection. They are a LITTLE tight, but not really difficult to put on and off, unless the rubber inside curls or something. When I do use one, I always put it on with the gimbal clamp in place, and I hold the actual cam head firmly so it doesn't move while I push the filter on firmly. I'm not really worried about 'installation' damage, but I AM now worried that the weight of the UV filter over time might stress the gimbal such that I might get overload errors at some point. Should I just say screw it and go naked?

Would love some advice on this one...
LP
The newer filters are extremely light and thin and will not cause any problems with your Mavic gimbal. They are excellent filters and I have been using all their filters for months without one issue.

after a long hike I thought I was able to relax and take my drone for a spin at glider's point(southern California), boy it all went down hill..took it out from my bag. I had the 'knock off' filter on them. While at home a few days back, I already had issues first time putting it on MUI not initilizing, but my idiot self thought it could work, a put a little pressure on the gimbal to put on, after a couple tries, well it did initialize. everything was good right? well no, got the notorious gimbal overload error first thing out in the field...

I'm always careful carrying my drone, never a had a crash. I only take it out from my room if I feel like using them..

So we all know the deal with gimbal overload error. I think I've pretty much watched all the videos on YT that may fix it without dissecting it from inside out (replacing the ribbon cable)..the 90 degrees temp fix does work but haven't tried it in action. I heard their all this random errors will show up so I'm having second thoughts if I should even try it out...

Already bought the replacement ribbon from amazon coming in 2 days, already got the necessary tools to take it apart. Mixed with excitement and worries that I might forget a step or two. Just got to be extra careful!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZVK8B2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fell free to suggest nd filters that you're using and assures that will NOT break the very precious sensitive gimbal..

Interesting. I just bought a Sunnylife ND8 for my MP but have yet to fit it without getting the Gimbal Overload warning. This surprises me as the filter does not seem to be heavy and I would have thought that air loads on the gimbal in flight would have a greater effect than the weight of the filter. I have messaged the supplier for advice and will post any positive reply. Meanwhile, I am flying without.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser