DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beyond VLOS (legally)

Ironically one of the Part 107 exam questions involves asking if a utility company can fly beyond line of sight. Guess they will have to change the test.

This is where I live so I hope their drone doesn't hit my drone.

Reactions: Kvark
You can fly BVLOS with a waiver , if you have the time to deal with the FAA BS, multiple rejections, stupid questions from some FAA nit wit, etc

I would think if you stayed away from their lines and you were in LOS you wouldn't have any issue SxSmith . :)

Reactions: rickw
BLOS waivers happen all the time. They were especially necessary during the hurricane relief to support utility crews last year. Don’t expect it as a hobbyist, though.

When you are trained, with proper license and have a co-pilot for redundancy, permits can be granted. In such scenario, we are talking about using drone for work applications, not fooling around. I am a client of a energy company that have some of their employees trained to fly drones. But if I am not mistaken, they need 2 operators, 2 RC, etc. Plans and permits needs to be lodged prior to getting airborne. They would most likely fly in a predicable path, not exceeding certain speed and height.
Some of these drones would be larger than the Mavic, and probably sending telemetry data like small manned aircrafts, so other pilots can be aware of these drones in the same airspace.

Reactions: Kvark
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78