DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Biggiest cons of the smart controller?

My concern would be forward compatibility. It is already incompatible with the Mini and I expect the M3 will have Occusync 3 which won't work with it. If past performance is any indication, DJI will always make you buy new products rather than making the new product work with last year's device. You will likely upgrade to a new drone before the battery needs replaced in the SC.

That's a fair point, but I don't think the Mini is forward technology, rather a step backwards since its Wifi only and no obstacle sensors. Wifi would make me too nervous in my big city.

DJI made a big mistake not making the Mini work with SC, because I would buy Mini as a stand alone (like Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom can be purchased at a discount without the controller, I think around $200 off).
That was a huge benefit to me buying the Smart Controller, to buy other drones without controller. That, and also it was only $470 extra with the Mavic2/SC package, and not $749.

Hopefully, if DJI is smart, i'll be able to buy the Mavic 3 device only. Not sure I would upgrade anytime soon if it forces going back to cell phone. At the very least, they could offer a USB adapter, but who knows. DJI doesn't make smart decisions sometimes. If people have to replace their entire drones and smart controllers, then that opens me up to considering all drone makers at that time. If I can simply use my SC to upgrade, then I mostly certainly stay within the DJI platform.

Reactions: MRomine
I doubt they'll offer AC only is mainstream purchase.
DJI did stick with Ocusync 1 for some time, both for P4 and M1. Hopefully the next full Mavic will also use Ocusync 2.

As technology progresses, there's the risk of older accessories becoming incompatible with newer devices.
Batteries, remotes and even ND filters are not interchangeable.

I am using the anchors from peak design and I share the peak design strap between my mirrorless camera and smart controller. Very versatile system, neat and tidy too. View attachment 80175

I’d like to do something like this too. All the purpose-built lanyards I’ve seen includes eye hooks for the SC which stick out quite a bit, and the protrusions would make it harder to pack. Where did you find those screws? Is the cord on the PD attachments just looped around the screws?

I’d like to do something like this too. All the purpose-built lanyards I’ve seen includes eye hooks for the SC which stick out quite a bit, and the protrusions would make it harder to pack. Where did you find those screws? Is the cord on the PD attachments just looped around the screws?

I now have Starz' screws. But originally I used D-rings you use to mount picture frames to wire for hanging. They tend to fold quite flat and should not interfere greatly with fitting the charger into a case. I used pan head screws which have a low profile and are rounded so that they don't catch on anything. The tubing was to keep the spring clips I used from scratching. I replaced that the the Peak Designs lanyard. I have seen smaller d-rings and black ones, too.
Lanyard2.jpg

I now have Starz' screws. But originally I used D-rings you use to mount picture frames to wire for hanging. They tend to fold quite flat and should not interfere greatly with fitting the charger into a case. I used pan head screws which have a low profile and are rounded so that they don't catch on anything. The tubing was to keep the spring clips I used from scratching. I replaced that the the Peak Designs lanyard. I have seen smaller d-rings and black ones, too.

Thanks, that’s a great idea with the D-rings. I should have thought of those, as I have lots of them on hand. Somewhere I saw what screw size/thread is needed, I’ll find that again and see what I can do.

Thanks, that’s a great idea with the D-rings. I should have thought of those, as I have lots of them on hand. Somewhere I saw what screw size/thread is needed, I’ll find that again and see what I can do.
The screws are 4M (metric). I used a toothpick to measure the depth/length. Never sure of what I needed, I purchased a variety (g)

4M screws.jpg

My solution to stay slim: slit a strap 5mm and use this screw:

Rändelschrauben (niedrige Form) - M4x10 - (2 Stück) - DIN 653 - aus rostfreiem Edelstahl A1 VA -Niro - SC653 | SC-Normteile[emoji768] Rändelschrauben (niedrige Form) - M4x10 - (2 Stück) - DIN 653 - aus rostfreiem Edelstahl A1 VA -Niro - SC653 | SC-Normteile®: Amazon.de: Baumarkt

205ac00d0b60dfcca50611bb1bc37fb2.jpg

48d732fc72521234a2c839769cd425d3.jpg

Reactions: ff22
Terrible range. Thats all I can say.
Roughly 1/3 range of my Mavic 2 controller. I sold mine after a few uses (at a loss).
Screen is wonderful.. range is rubbish, and I'm not the only person with this same issue.

Reactions: Oglo
Roughly 1/3 range of my Mavic 2 controller. I sold mine after a few uses (at a loss).
Screen is wonderful.. range is rubbish, and I'm not the only person with this same issue.

I have very consistent and excellent range, in fact I have never really tested it to see where it falls off because I am not comfortable going beyond 2 miles let alone the 3 I tested it to when I first got it.

What kind of range are you getting?

Reactions: RogerMav
I have very consistent and excellent range, in fact I have never really tested it to see where it falls off because I am not comfortable going beyond 2 miles let alone the 3 I tested it to when I first got it.

I get about 1.5km (a bit less than a mile) but I'm in a CE country.
The standard Mavic controller gives me 4km.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

If the FCC range were the same, it should be 5 miles or 8 km on both in the U.S..
The standard Mavic 2 controller is well documented at over 5.4 miles with clear LOS.
Seems the SC is closer to 2-3 miles at best.

Last edited:

I cannot support this experience.

neither can I, my std controller and SC are pretty much the same, I do have the NLD FCC mod but that is installed in the drone, not the controllers

Reactions: RogerMav
I wonder why the big discrepancy some see in flight distance or range from the standard to the Smart Controller while other see very little difference. I can't comment as I've never pushed the range more than a few blocks (g)

I cannot support this experience.
How far away have you tested it? If you never exceed 3 miles, you will likely not see a significant difference. The differences tend to show up at the extremes with clear LOS, and closer with lots of interference, where the stock Tx can penetrate better from a stronger effective signal..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard