DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird attack killed the Mavic

Hi, there are several posts concerning this within this forum and the Phantom forum as well. Just try to search for "bird" and "attack" for instance. You'll find some stuff there, also about colour [emoji4]
Best, Randolph

Gesendet von meinem E5823 mit Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip, Randolph! Very interesting reading that's valuable to all drone flyers. Obviously, there are still many unanswered questions and a lot to be learned.

I've had at least two 'fake' attacks on my MP by two species of Plover that live in my vicinity.

f0479d971164e7e8893f605ce3ca366d.jpg
141b6ca5412b5d6f11cf66e3458a1da7.jpg

White Cattle Egrets always always 'scramble' when my Mavic approaches in horizontal flight at about 30m altitude, yellow billed ducks sitting on the banks may jump into the water, but those already swimming just carry on feeding undisturbed. So far, thankfully, no encounters with hawks or eagles!

Reactions: LeMur
Nd filters should correct that jello.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

It's the Crowned Lapwing (Vanellus coronatus) and this photo must be from Africa, maybe Namibia or South Africa ;-) correct?

Gesendet von meinem E5823 mit Tapatalk

Correct! The first photo is Vanellus coronatus and the second V. armatus or Blacksmith Lapwing. Both taken during the same flight at Midrand, between Johannesburg and Pretoria in South Africa. That's about 60km South West (as the Lapwing flies) from where I usually fly my Mavic named "Kieviet", which is also the local name of these lapwings. They get very noisy (causes acoustic jamming) when anything approaches their eggs or chicks, which are usually on very open ground, and will even mock aerial attack an elephant! Beautiful feisty birds. I'm fortunate to have them on my farm!

Hi guys

Watch out for YBK's and Egyptian Geese. The geese are like fast rugby props and are persistent in driving off the drone. They really move quickly and come in pretty straight with momentum.

They swoop from slightly below and up and use their body as like a ram and try to peck the drone. Best to climb quickly and leave as they are very persistent. I took two hits and the drone spun and recovered then avoided one more attempt, on the fourth attack (I thought they had left) dislodged a prop and the Mavic went down.

We were doing neighbourhood watch support for some guys in the bush so we hung around as long as possible.

Now I fly with prop guards and keep the gamble dome on when doing this kind of activity. Otherwise I fly as is without dome and guards.

Tough and very nice machine.

Reactions: kricke_de
Hi guys

Watch out for YBK's and Egyptian Geese. The geese are like fast rugby props and are persistent in driving off the drone. They really move quickly and come in pretty straight with momentum.

They swoop from slightly below and up and use their body as like a ram and try to peck the drone. Best to climb quickly and leave as they are very persistent. I took two hits and the drone spun and recovered then avoided one more attempt, on the fourth attack (I thought they had left) dislodged a prop and the Mavic went down.

We were doing neighbourhood watch support for some guys in the bush so we hung around as long as possible.

Now I fly with prop guards and keep the gamble dome on when doing this kind of activity. Otherwise I fly as is without dome and guards.

Thanks for the warning. They're also in my area, but, so far, well behaved!

Yes, lapwings in Europe behave similar :) nice name of your drone :)
Interesting reports on attacks by Egyptian geese, thanks. What do you mean with Ybk?

Hi guys

I would also like to know what a YBK is?

Really ?

My Mavic doesn't have jello like that, with or without ND filters, that looks just plain broken, especially the way it comes and goes in the middle of a smooth movement.

If you look at 1:55 it has horrible jello and then a second later perfectly stable video. Then again just before the bird-Mavic "interaction" the jello comes and goes a couple of times in one shot.

I reckon it had some sort of intermittent fault that was causing vibration to be transmitted through the gimbal. Maybe one of the motors in the gimbal had a sticky spot on a bearing.

Last edited:
I wonder if the last thing to go through that bird's mind was the Mavic itself?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR