DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird attack killed the Mavic

FYI, jello isnt repairable, its how the sensors work... get ND filters...

There was definitely this one guy who complained about jello, sent it back, got a new one with no jello. There's also a fix on Youtube about re-aligning the rubbers holding the gimbal to fix it.

I thought ND filters were (including) to avoid sunglare and the props showing (or reduce the impact when flying towards the sun).

I don't think those pigeons attacked it, I think they ran into it unexpectedly, they are a very docile non-aggressive bird, your Mavic was just in the wrong place at the wrong time bud! Amazing footage until that happened.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: 4wd
There was definitely this one guy who complained about jello, sent it back, got a new one with no jello. There's also a fix on Youtube about re-aligning the rubbers holding the gimbal to fix it.

I thought ND filters were (including) to avoid sunglare and the props showing (or reduce the impact when flying towards the sun).
This
explains what ND is really for with examples. Very good visual explanation of the shutter.

Reactions: halley
Adding shutter time to the camera does not fix jello, it masks it a bit.

Jello is a direct consequence of vibration being transmitted from the vehicle through a camera mount to the camera. The sensor is being physically moved while it's capturing the image.

You can adjust the shutter time value component of exposure in a couple ways. I am talking about any camera; they call it the "Tv" or "shutter speed", not video frame rate. You can directly control the shutter electronically. You can add a filter that cuts light, so the camera automatically compensates. They're pretty much equivalent in their effect on shutter time.

However, slowing the shutter time on a moving scene will just blur the motion. You might not see the jello as a wavy line anymore, you'll just lose optical resolution on details that align across the direction of the motion.

psjwuWe.png

Real answer: fix the jello. Motor misalignment, motor imbalance, loose motor, propeller imbalance, loose propeller, loose gimbal connection, temperature or moisture differences in the gimbal mechanics, poor gimbal control, all can cause jello.

I absolutely agree, that wasn't done by purpose, you just were unlucky. It's a pity, though :-S I can feel with you, cause my Mavic arrived yesterday. Don't give up :)

Gesendet von meinem E5823 mit Tapatalk

Those pigeons did not see the Mavic in time!

The Mavic, with its grey color, is pretty invisible, except when silhouetted against the sky. I'm sure a bright orange color could potentially have prevented this mishap.

I wonder what effect a bright, unnatural color would have on birds that aggressively attack drones?

Does anyone have any experience in this regard?

The Mavic, with its grey color, is pretty invisible, except when silhouetted against the sky. I'm sure a bright orange color could potentially have prevented this mishap.

I wonder what effect a bright, unnatural color would have on birds that aggressively attack drones?

Hi, there are several posts concerning this within this forum and the Phantom forum as well. Just try to search for "bird" and "attack" for instance. You'll find some stuff there, also about colour [emoji4]
Best, Randolph

Gesendet von meinem E5823 mit Tapatalk

I wonder if pigeons can actually see color.

Nice video! Sorry for the unfortunate bird collision though. We were in Bratislava last year and enjoyed it very much.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98