DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Bird vs Done near miss - Ness Battery, Orkney

AlbionDrones

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
Another recent Orkney video, this one didnt go to plan, attacked by an Oystercatcher while trying to film the Ness Battery - meaning I got the heck out of there! Nice close up of the bird though!!

This was the reason I was really careful during our Orkney trip, from 22 flights there were 2 near miss, but this was the closest...

Those Oystercatchers are dangerous beep beeps. Having said that, I am left wondering if this was an attack or an attempt to get the attention of a potential predator and lead it away from chicks etc.?
From what I have seen, in videos, their attacks tend to be more aggressive than that appears to be, including at least one full on frontal collision. I think you did the correct thing.

I don't know about anyone else but the closing shot, across the water, of those mountains in the back ground appeals to me, any more of it?

Reactions: AlbionDrones
Yeh, perhaps Attack was a little harsh, but he came too close for comfort..

Have some footage of the MV Hamnavoe that shows the 'Mountains' of Hoy, will this suffice?

Reactions: Prop Wash
Sorry I did not mean to suggest that attack was harsh, it's just that the bird is 'well clear' of the drone, in front of the drone and flying away from the drone and possibly looking back as if to check what the 'intruder' is doing in response to the pass.
Having seen birds mob birds-of-prey they tend to come in from behind and above, to me this just looked different. Which is what made me wonder if this was a different behaviour ....
As for the other footage, what ever you post is very nice lol.

Another recent Orkney video, this one didnt go to plan, attacked by an Oystercatcher while trying to film the Ness Battery - meaning I got the heck out of there! Nice close up of the bird though!!

This was the reason I was really careful during our Orkney trip, from 22 flights there were 2 near miss, but this was the closest...

I was flying Mavic 3 Classic last week near a railroad lift bridge in the Bronx. A bird I later identified as a "Swift" circled around the drone and I thought, ok. his curiosity was done. He then returned and hit the drone. It wobbled in the air, chipped one propeller. Later discovered that the impact had cracked the tabs that hold the prop to the motor...fortunately I landed the drone...Swifts or "Cliff Swifts" are small but aggressive and live or hide in bridges and other big massive structures. I was lucky.

All very interesting. Great shots of the oystercatcher and good no damage done. Re the swifts they are amazing and I think only land to nest, the rest of the time they’re airborne.

Nice video and a good presentation of the event.
If you are flying in that environment, why not put reflective tape on your drone. Just yesterday I saw reflective tape made for scaring birds away.

If you are flying in that environment, why not put reflective tape on your drone. Just yesterday I saw reflective tape made for scaring birds away.
Can you please share that link with me on the reflective tape, I have real seagull issues on several flights.

Sorry I did not mean to suggest that attack was harsh, it's just that the bird is 'well clear' of the drone, in front of the drone and flying away from the drone and possibly looking back as if to check what the 'intruder' is doing in response to the pass.
Having seen birds mob birds-of-prey they tend to come in from behind and above, to me this just looked different. Which is what made me wonder if this was a different behaviour ....
As for the other footage, what ever you post is very nice lol.
Lol, no, I meant perhaps my pharseology was a little harsh, the Bird was just doing what he needed to protect his family, I was the intruder - he wasnt to know I meant no harm...

I was flying Mavic 3 Classic last week near a railroad lift bridge in the Bronx. A bird I later identified as a "Swift" circled around the drone and I thought, ok. his curiosity was done. He then returned and hit the drone. It wobbled in the air, chipped one propeller. Later discovered that the impact had cracked the tabs that hold the prop to the motor...fortunately I landed the drone...Swifts or "Cliff Swifts" are small but aggressive and live or hide in bridges and other big massive structures. I was lucky.
Yeah, we are invading their airspace, every time we fly we are risking the life of our poor drone, but hopefully they will leave us alone... I think when they have young is when they are most aggresive / defensive, all we can do is give them space...

All very interesting. Great shots of the oystercatcher and good no damage done. Re the swifts they are amazing and I think only land to nest, the rest of the time they’re airborne.
Thanks, close enough of an encounter for me, I will be happy not to get a repeat picture ;)

Thanks... Appreciated... Hadnt thought of reflective tape... may have to try that if it is an ongoing problem, tbh only had the issue on Orkney so far...

@AlbionDrones that was a typical reaction, trying to get the drones attention, to lure it away from its nest and young, as mentioned by @Yorkshire_Pud in his post #2

That was a near miss because the bird planned it that way. They're excellent fliers and have nothing to gain from a collision. (True for most birds; raptors are the rare exception in encounters with drones.)

I did some online searching and reading for bird "repellent" measures a while back and found no scientific or tested recommendations, just anecdotal suggestions. Hanging aluminum pie plates, mylar tape, and AOL CDs used to be recommended for keeping birds out of fig trees. In my experience, it never worked and I see few people doing it now.

I'm not confident that reflective tape is offensive or frightening to birds, but it certainly can improve visibility of drones for human observers.

That was a near miss because the bird planned it that way. They're excellent fliers and have nothing to gain from a collision.

I did some online searching and reading for bird "repellent" measures a while back and found no scientific or tested recommendations, just anecdotal suggestions. Hanging aluminum pie plates, mylar tape, and AOL CDs used to be recommended for keeping birds out of fig trees. In my experience, it never worked and I see few people doing it now.

I'm not confident that reflective tape is offensive or frightening to birds, but it certainly can improve visibility of drones for human observers.
He is certainly a good flyer, and I am glad he wasn't injured and I was able to exit the area with an intact drone. TBH I wasn't going to put either the drone or the bird at risk when he approached me, time to leave and live to fly another day :)

Walking the beaches and marshes out on the barrier islands and at Chandeleur Island, I've found that Peregrine Falcons sometimes follow me, probably to see what I might stir up. About ten years ago, I flushed an Oystercatcher on the beach that was taken down by a Peregrine before he could fly 20 feet. The Oystercatcher was too heavy for the Peregrine to carry more than 30 or 40 feet. After several hops, the falcon stood over the prey, turned, and screamed and glared at me.

As you say, time to leave.

Not that it matters but that was an "OYSTERCATCHER" bird. Perhaps you were near the nest.

Dale
Miami
Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 12.39.28 PM.png

Not that it matters but that was an "OYSTERCATCHER" bird. Perhaps you were near the nest.

Dale
Miami
View attachment 166230
Hi Dale,

I was at about 60ft up, using a MINI3 Pro at sub 249gm, and doing my best to stay away form the wildlife, but the Oystercatcher came after me, I can only assume that I must have gone too close to the nest, even though I didnt see it, but when faced with such a situatin I immediately climbed to 300ft and exited the area... Better safe than sorry...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N