DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird went down. :-(

brings up another question,we cant fly over crowded people,stadiums ect
how far away is legal?

So, went out flying this oh so calm morning, the clouds were pretty up against the mountains, a shot I've gotten a thousand times already in a place I've flown just as often, but what the ****, what's one more, right?

...Uh huh.

Fast forward a mere 11 minutes and change, a high wind warning pops up (completely calm all the way up to 1500M which is as far up as UAV forecast will display and, as we all know, WAY over what the limit is), my mavic pro almost instantly turns sideways, starts to spiral slowly at first, then quicker, and finally turns her nose down to the ground and hurtles towards the earth completely out of control in a scene that can only be likened to a fiery Hindenburg meeting her doom. A scene I had a first row seat in as I watched it unfold live on my galaxy S8.

Oh the horror.....and I'm pretty sure I screamed like a little girl.

I exaggerate (a little) but this SUCKS.

Don't know what happened, I can only assume it was a prop, but that's not for me to decide, but I now face the oft talked about grueling task of claiming Care Refresh, and waiting months to end up getting someone's refurb P.O.S that PROBABLY did the same thing and made him or her pee a little and cry a lot.....or getting told it was my fault and there goes my $2000 and counting investment. Poof.

Question is, has anyone had experience dealing with DJI and Care Refresh either way? Nervous as **** here and worried, mostly because A few rules MAY have been broken, and not sure what they take into consideration when deciding whether or not to honor it, and honestly ive heard a LOT of horror stories.

Seriously? This sucks. Can't wait to get in the air again.
Here's a link on how to retrieve the DAT files from your Mavic.

how far away is legal?
Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) is how far your supposed to fly. I'm sure he was outside of that, but then, haven't we all...

so if this were so he could take off from a mountain side and be within 400ft. top,then he would have stay to within 400 ft,since further would mean he would be higher than 400 ft
you gotta admit these are stupid guidlines

As mentioned above - those are Part 107 rules. There is no altitude limit for Part 101 but VLOS is required. An altitude limit of 400 ft AGL is advised by the FAA for hobbyist (Part 101) flights.

I'm not clear why you think the mountainside scenario means the guidelines are stupid - it is recommended to stay within 400 ft of the ground. So if you go up the mountain you can go higher while if you go down the mountain you need to descend in order to remain no more than 400 ft above the ground below.

The OP has not given enough information to know whether he exceeded 400 ft AGL or not.

I'm not clear why you think the mountainside scenario means the guidelines are stupid - it is recommended to stay within 400 ft of the ground. So if you go up the mountain you can go higher while if you go down the mountain you need to descend in order to remain no more than 400 ft above the ground below.

thats what i said

Right - and then you stated that these are stupid guidelines? Why?
I had a question for you about pulling DAT logs of a Mavic that is so damaged it is unable to power on. Is it possible or do you have to go with the TXT files off the mobile device? -CF

I had a question for you about pulling DAT logs of a Mavic that is so damaged it is unable to power on. Is it possible or do you have to go with the TXT files off the mobile device? -CF

If it won't power up then you would have to physically remove the internal SD card. And I've seen it reported that the later models don't actually have an internal SD card - just flash storage on the main board.

For some events the mobile device DAT file has enough information - depends on the event. The transmitted data stream has significant lag.

Reactions: MavicCF
because your no longer at 400 ft agl,
Say your walking up the side of a mountain, you start at the bottom at 0 feet of elivation, as you go up the mountain, you increase altitude over the spot were you started, however, you are still walking on the ground and are thus still at the same distance (0 feet) above the ground as when you started, the ground just happens to be higher than it originally was.

Reactions: DougBlueSkies
how far away is legal?
It's off-topic for this thread but ...

Airspace Restrictions

Stadiums and sporting events
Flying UAS in and around stadiums is prohibited starting one hour before and ending one hour after the scheduled time of any of the following events:
  • Major League Baseball
  • National Football League
  • NCAA Division One Football
  • NASCAR Sprint Cup, Indy Car, and Champ Series races
Specifically, UAS operations are prohibited within a radius of three nautical miles of the stadium or venue.

because your no longer at 400 ft agl,
It's above the ground directly below the location where the drone is currently located at any point. Thus the elevation above sea level may change during the flight. AND you would still be 400 feet above the ground.

Reactions: MavicCF
It's above the ground directly below the location where the drone is currently located at any point. Thus the elevation above sea level may change during the flight. AND you would still be 400 feet above the ground.
That's what I was trying to say:D.

he stated he was 4500 ft up
I think he said winds were calm up to 1500M which is as high as you can get winds on the UAV forecast. He might have simply been stating the reported winds. Not real clear, but I didn't see where he said how high he was.

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
So, went out flying this oh so calm morning, the clouds were pretty up against the mountains, a shot I've gotten a thousand times already in a place I've flown just as often, but what the ****, what's one more, right?

...Uh huh.

Fast forward a mere 11 minutes and change, a high wind warning pops up (completely calm all the way up to 1500M which is as far up as UAV forecast will display and, as we all know, WAY over what the limit is), my mavic pro almost instantly turns sideways, starts to spiral slowly at first, then quicker, and finally turns her nose down to the ground and hurtles towards the earth completely out of control in a scene that can only be likened to a fiery Hindenburg meeting her doom. A scene I had a first row seat in as I watched it unfold live on my galaxy S8.

Oh the horror.....and I'm pretty sure I screamed like a little girl.

I exaggerate (a little) but this SUCKS.

Don't know what happened, I can only assume it was a prop, but that's not for me to decide, but I now face the oft talked about grueling task of claiming Care Refresh, and waiting months to end up getting someone's refurb P.O.S that PROBABLY did the same thing and made him or her pee a little and cry a lot.....or getting told it was my fault and there goes my $2000 and counting investment. Poof.

Question is, has anyone had experience dealing with DJI and Care Refresh either way? Nervous as **** here and worried, mostly because A few rules MAY have been broken, and not sure what they take into consideration when deciding whether or not to honor it, and honestly ive heard a LOT of horror stories.

Seriously? This sucks. Can't wait to get in the air again.

Bummer, I hope they do the right thing, point is , birdy took a plumiting dive and you did not smash in to a brick wall, demand them to replace your investment

Reactions: Rnl
pretty clear to me

Fast forward a mere 11 minutes and change, a high wind warning pops up (completely calm all the way up to 1500M which is as far up as UAV forecast will display and, as we all know, WAY over what the limit is),
You are giving out all the wrong information. Please do not comment, you are confusing others and yourself. He clearly says that the app, called UAV Forecast only gives weather and wind information at up to 1500M. He never said that he was flying that high, the mavic will only go to 500M anyway.
Please pay attention.

i dont know,in all fairness you broke the rules and possibly endangered airspace,do you think you deserve another drone knowing this was careless and deliberate,not including other aircraft's flying,what about birds or drone failure?thats like a little missile at 1100 feet
i may get flamed but this is the reality of being careless.
He did not do anything wrong. If he is at the base of a mountain, he can fly up the mountain and still be less than 400ft off the ground. I have to do it every time I fly.
Also, the 400 ft limit is only a suggestion unless he is 107.
Please learn the rules before commenting, you are confusing people and yourself.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnny760