DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Birds and drones

Hi - I am new here with my first question. I have a Tactic Air Drone on order and it should arrive sometime next month. I am a retired bird photographer and I am wondering if there are any rules about photographing birds with a drone. I did not buy it to photograph birds, I have other uses, such as inspecting the roof on my RV since I am too decrepit to get up on my roof now. I am guessing that most birds will flee at the site of a drone.

Not necessarily, there have been many bird attacks on drones. You are not supposed to harass birds but you can video them,I put a set of large Moon Eyes on each of my batteries, this seems to work as I have had no strikes since

The other day I was out with the Mini, trying to get a good shot of the city through some trees, a big bird was circling around me a few seconds after.

Thought my baby was about to be birdie food.

Reactions: BSauce955
Nice portfolio, Tom! Waiting for your photos as a pilot. Did you receive it? Why did you choose this model exactly?

Nice portfolio, Tom! Waiting for your photos as a pilot. Did you receive it? Why did you choose this model exactly?
Thanks Frank. It has not arrived yet. I chose the model because it was cheap. I just want to dip my toes in the water cheaply. If I enjoy it I will be upgrading.

Thanks Frank. It has not arrived yet. I chose the model because it was cheap. I just want to dip my toes in the water cheaply. If I enjoy it I will be upgrading.
Just beware of the usual issue where you cheap out too much on your first experience, which is poor as a result so you don't enjoy it, so you give up and never get to see that if you had bought something decent you would enjoy it.

This thing looks like an piece of absolute garbage.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankMCT
Hi - I am new here with my first question. I have a Tactic Air Drone on order and it should arrive sometime next month. I am a retired bird photographer and I am wondering if there are any rules about photographing birds with a drone. I did not buy it to photograph birds, I have other uses, such as inspecting the roof on my RV since I am too decrepit to get up on my roof now. I am guessing that most birds will flee at the site of a drone.

I fly from my back deck most of the time, and I've been feeding birds (and squirrels) there for years. They used to all scatter whenever I fired up the drone (Mini 2), but they've learned to adapt to it.

I think they view it as just a weird bird, coming to get fed just like they are. At this point, the blue jays just squawk at it, just like they do at each other, and any other critter around.

A month or so ago when I was doing my "hover checklist", a hummingbird zinged by, stopped, turned around and watched the drone for a while, and then just continued on his original path. Most likely the biggest cousin hummingbird he had ever seen...

The squirrels are now quite content to come out and munch while I'm sitting in my chair happily flying my drone.

Peaceful co-existence!

:)

TCS

Reactions: seilerbird

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura