DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bitrate on H.264

peros550

Reactions
While waiting for my new Mavic Pro 2, I have already realised that I'm going to need a new computer. My current MBA '13 cannot play a few H.265 sample files that I downloaded.

Does anybody know what bitrate is used in H.264 encoding for the following resolutions?

4K 30fps
2.7K 60 fps
1080p 60 fps.

Thanks & Regards

I've also realised my 2016 Macbook Pro 13" cannot handle the h265 10 bit files without stuttering. I would suggest editing with proxies or converting to Prores (Optimised Media if you are using FCX). Both of these seem to run smoothly without dropping frames.

As far as I know, 10bit is only available with h265 and is not determined by the framerate, but rather the picture setting, as far as i know:

You must select either Dlog or HLG for 10 bit, and these options can only be used with h265. Normal picture profile is 8 bit and uses h264:

Dlog h265 HQ - 10bit
Dlog h265 Full FOV - 8bit (although some people seem to be saying the full fov footage also shows as 10 bit under the metadata when loaded into Davinchi - can anyone confirm this?)
HLG h265 HQ - 10 bit
HLG h265 Full FOV - 8 bit (again can someone confirm this?)

I don't actually own a pro, so people can correct me if I'm wrong here, I'm just going by what I've read & gathered from videos.

Also you can download both 8 and 10 bit straight from camera footage here to try out in your editing program:

Reactions: cpokrywka
I don't plan on using H.265 at least for the time being, hence the question for H.264 bitrates.

Definitely, I won't be using the full capabilities but that is only for a while, until I upgrade my main computer.

I've also realised my 2016 Macbook Pro 13" cannot handle the h265 10 bit files without stuttering. I would suggest editing with proxies or converting to Prores (Optimised Media if you are using FCX). Both of these seem to run smoothly without dropping frames.

As far as I know, 10bit is only available with h265 and is not determined by the framerate, but rather the picture setting, as far as i know:

You must select either Dlog or HLG for 10 bit, and these options can only be used with h265. Normal picture profile is 8 bit and uses h264:

Dlog h265 HQ - 10bit
Dlog h265 Full FOV - 8bit (although some people seem to be saying the full fov footage also shows as 10 bit under the metadata when loaded into Davinchi - can anyone confirm this?)
HLG h265 HQ - 10 bit
HLG h265 Full FOV - 8 bit (again can someone confirm this?)

I don't actually own a pro, so people can correct me if I'm wrong here, I'm just going by what I've read & gathered from videos.

Also you can download both 8 and 10 bit straight from camera footage here to try out in your editing program:

I've not downloaded the footage but it looks really bad on youtube, more like it was shot with the original Mavic. I don't believe it's out of focus because of who the author is but maybe a dud camera? Just doesn't look anywhere near the quality of other footage I've seen.

Don’t buy new PC thinking you’ll get smooth h265 previews in premier. I have a 10 core 20 thread I9 7900x + 1080Ti+ 32GB Ram and it still stutters. You have to use the proxy workflow when using h265 if you want any meaningful performance.

While waiting for my new Mavic Pro 2, I have already realised that I'm going to need a new computer. My current MBA '13 cannot play a few H.265 sample files that I downloaded.

Does anybody know what bitrate is used in H.264 encoding for the following resolutions?

4K 30fps
2.7K 60 fps
1080p 60 fps.

Thanks & Regards

Did you mean recording bitrate or color depth?

Don’t buy new PC thinking you’ll get smooth h265 previews in premier. I have a 10 core 20 thread I9 7900x + 1080Ti+ 32GB Ram and it still stutters. You have to use the proxy workflow when using h265 if you want any meaningful performance.
Yes, your are right. I wasn't aware of this process. I have decided to use H264 for the time being. For my needs, the H265 will not make a difference. Compared to the original Mavic Pro the bitrate, even when using H264, is now increased. This increase, although welcome, must have an impact when I'm trying to Airplay a 4K-2.7K video from my MBA to my ATV 4th generation. Now those videos won't play. The only format that can play through airplay is 1080P. With videos taken on MP1 I was able to stream 2.7K which had a bitrate of 45Mbps.

4K 30fps
2.7K 60 fps
1080p 60 fps.

Thanks & Regards
4K 30fps h.264 = bitrate100mbit / 8Bit
2.7K 60fps h.264 = bitrate 91.4mbit / 8Bit
1080 60fps h.264 = bitrate 71.1mbit / 8 Bit

Reactions: peros550
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics