DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Blacked out camera, right out of the box - Please advise

Eskimo4277

Reactions
Brand new to drones, advice welcome! Not able to get any image on phone or iPad. The app shows all the data, but no camera image. Only flown it in beginner mode about 10 times, but never seen anything but black screen. Never had any error messages either...

So far I've tried:
Read the manual
Update firmware through app DJI GO 4 (V01.03.1000)
Refreshed firmware through the DJI Assistant 2
Gimbal responds fine (no binding, moves smoothly) during start up and with controller
Tried app on both iPhone 6 and iPad Air - both fine with data but no image
Restarted app
Deleted app, reinstalled
Adjusted exposure value up and down
Tried strong daylight and nearly dusk
Checked the gimbal mounting bands - look ok to me
Nothing blocking the lens
Always removed the gimbal lock prior to powerup
GPS map shows fine

What's next? Thanks!

upload_2017-8-30_20-31-17.png

Reactions: Elan
You may have already tried this. Have you checked the lightning cable from the controller to the phone/iPad to make sure it's not bad?

You may have already tried this. Have you checked the lightning cable from the controller to the phone/iPad to make sure it's not bad?
I tried both the supplied lightning to mini USB cable on the controller arm and a good standard lightning cable to the USB under the display - same black screen

Are you able to record to the SD card?
Yes, just once when it was on the ground, but I cannot duplicate it. I tried clicking every camera button on the controller and app, no dice. I can move the gimbal, but no visual. I did re-format the card to see if that helped - no dice.

I think it could be faulty.

But.

In your screenshot the app does show it's in recording mode and EV at 0 so not utterly under-exposed which can cause panic).
You should be able to stop and start the recording from the controller using button on top left.
There is an audible confirmation as you stop and start.
The point being if you can initiate recording to the card without the app, there isn't anything wrong with camera, in which case it could be an incompatible device or cable issue.
It's showing the proximity radar so clearly some other things are working and showing on screen

Different lead(s) in the bottom USB *with side one completely removed* is always a worth trying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7