DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

bluetooth gps for ipad mini wifi only redux

fxsales1959

Reactions
I mistakenly highjacked a three year old post, and wanted to add my own fresher question
Aftrer being chastised and told i don't need maps to fly with my ipad mini 5 wifi only, i've beeen serching this forum for a solution. I got the caching of maps reply, which with ios (to my understanding) does not allow th device to be shut down or you will lose cached maps. I bought the ipad mini soley to fly my mavic pro. no other apps installed. previously flying with iphone 6s plus. i've been told by my wife we are going leaf hunting this fall. I anticipate being in areas where there is no cell signal. I have dream of shooting some switchback roads in the hills from high altitude. If i buy one of these bluetooth gps units like

the GLO or Dual unit, do i need to add any other map package to my ipad? is DJIgo4 smart enough to use a bluetooth receiver and maps installed ith ios13.7 on my ipad?
thank you for your kind help

Aftrer being chastised and told i don't need maps to fly with my ipad mini 5 wifi only, i've beeen serching this forum for a solution. I got the caching of maps reply, which with ios (to my understanding) does not allow th device to be shut down or you will lose cached maps. I bought the ipad mini soley to fly my mavic pro. no other apps installed. previously flying with iphone 6s plus. i've been told by my wife we are going leaf hunting this fall. I anticipate being in areas where there is no cell signal. I have dream of shooting some switchback roads in the hills from high altitude. If i buy one of these bluetooth gps units like the GLO or Dual unit, do i need to add any other map package to my ipad?
It would help you if you understood that the maps you see in DJI Go4 are downloaded from the internet by DJIGo4.
The device you are asking about has a GPS receiver which will provide GPS location data wherever it is.
It has no internet connectivity and cannot help you to find or download maps at all.
Your Mavic already has its own GPS receiver and adding another one isn't going to help you at all.
The only way you can get the maps you want is via DJI Go4 with internet data.
is DJIgo4 smart enough to use a bluetooth receiver and maps installed ith ios13.7 on my ipad?
In case that wasn't clear enough .. DJI Go4 and your iPad cannot use the device you showed to download any maps from anywhere.

ps ... you weren't chastised at all.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
sorry for seeming snippy. i did what i thought was a ton of research here ( to the point of being annoying) bfor investing in the ipad mini. As a broacast engineer, somtimes i think "things should work"
so to end my fixation on maps, even iwth a cellular ipad, if there's no cell signal, there's no maps......
as i understand i cannot cache maps ahead of time with apple, unless i don't turn off he ipad between cching nd flying. Not good for omeone ho wanders around the everglades in my jeep, often with n hour between cell signal nd flight
thank you anyway. i appreciate yor time. just for shitzn giggles, where on the intrnet does gofly4 obtain maps? I hve maps of the entire caribbean on a micfo sd card for my boat navigation.

where on the intrnet does gofly4 obtain maps? I hve maps of the entire caribbean on a micfo sd card for my boat navigation.
DJI have used different mapping providers.
Originally they used Google Maps but later changed to Mapbox.
I don't have the latest version of DJI Go4 to confirm source which they are using lately.

Just swipe the go app the the background it uses a lot less power when your driving around looking for a place to fly. Or get a battery bank and plug the pad in and charge it while your looking around.

I have gone camping and had no cell service and flew with maps. I only put the iPad on airplane mod to save as much power while not flying . I had my maps for 5 days and charged the iPad back to full at night

I mistakenly highjacked a three year old post, and wanted to add my own fresher question
Aftrer being chastised and told i don't need maps to fly with my ipad mini 5 wifi only, i've beeen serching this forum for a solution. I got the caching of maps reply, which with ios (to my understanding) does not allow th device to be shut down or you will lose cached maps. I bought the ipad mini soley to fly my mavic pro. no other apps installed. previously flying with iphone 6s plus. i've been told by my wife we are going leaf hunting this fall. I anticipate being in areas where there is no cell signal. I have dream of shooting some switchback roads in the hills from high altitude. If i buy one of these bluetooth gps units like

the GLO or Dual unit, do i need to add any other map package to my ipad? is DJIgo4 smart enough to use a bluetooth receiver and maps installed ith ios13.7 on my ipad?
thank you for your kind help

I will say now that you have the first part figured out, that the device you are looking at can indeed give you GPS data to your iPad. As you have a wifi only, your Ipad doesn't have GPS module installed.

Many users of DJI in past years have discovered the bluetooth option of buying a GPS receiver and "pairing" it to the iPad. At first discovery if I remember right, this came from full size fixed wing pilots that were not happy with standard GPS results from certain versions of iPads. That tech then carried over and expounded from dual op pilots that flew Drones as well and has gained acceptance from there as a alternate to buying a 4G LTE version.

So then now you can cache maps with a wifi only ipad more precisely than a wifi only location input. If you then go to a flying field/ shoot location and then wish to cache maps for location. you simply hotspot to give your iPad wifi and paired with the bluetooth rcv'r your good to go. ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54