DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Boeing & Airbus Afraid of 5G

Now they agree to delay 5G rollout after rejecting regulators request.
I wonder if a little extra pressure was applied.

Saw an interesting piece on the BBC news the other day that suggests there may be another party we should be pointing fingers at for being the root cause of the current issues, rather than FAA / Telcos. If correct, then it seems that when the spectrum was auctioned off (for stupidly large sums of money) someone forgot to put in some constraints on what the successful bidder could do with it, especially in terms of cell tower transmission power and locations, that might have avoided all this. The kinds of clauses it seems at least some other countries did include precisely because of these concerns. I'd guess the document would have been drafted by the FCC, but then signed off by government - I'm not sure which house(s) though.

For the telcos, this is going to be something akin to buying a supercar and only then being told that there are going to be speed limits and some fairly significant suburbs roads where you are not permitted to drive, so you can kind of understand why they might be tad irked at all this, given the big players each have tens of billions of dollars to recoup! The aviation industry is already on the backfoot because of Covid travel restrictions, and after the Boeing MCAS debacle definitely won't want any kind of known issue causing fatalities, so they're going to be pretty entrenched in their position as well. I'm guessing many of the cancelled flights were not really viable anyway due to reduced passenger numbers, but that's still a pretty big move to make.

I'm fully expecting this to end up in the courts at this point.

Now the airlines are asking the White House (political opinion removed by moderator) to do something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw an interesting piece on the BBC news the other day that suggests there may be another party we should be pointing fingers at for being the root cause of the current issues, rather than FAA / Telcos. If correct, then it seems that when the spectrum was auctioned off (for stupidly large sums of money) someone forgot to put in some constraints on what the successful bidder could do with it, especially in terms of cell tower transmission power and locations, that might have avoided all this. The kinds of clauses it seems at least some other countries did include precisely because of these concerns. I'd guess the document would have been drafted by the FCC, but then signed off by government - I'm not sure which house(s) though.

For the telcos, this is going to be something akin to buying a supercar and only then being told that there are going to be speed limits and some fairly significant suburbs roads where you are not permitted to drive, so you can kind of understand why they might be tad irked at all this, given the big players each have tens of billions of dollars to recoup! The aviation industry is already on the backfoot because of Covid travel restrictions, and after the Boeing MCAS debacle definitely won't want any kind of known issue causing fatalities, so they're going to be pretty entrenched in their position as well. I'm guessing many of the cancelled flights were not really viable anyway due to reduced passenger numbers, but that's still a pretty big move to make.

I'm fully expecting this to end up in the courts at this point.
I‘m thinking that local city councils were not allowed the normal say over the 5G towers. Read it somewhere that the federal regulations prevented the city councils from having their normal due diligence. There were several health related concerns placed over 5G at its’ inception as well.

Reactions: frank candor
I‘m thinking that local city councils were not allowed the normal say over the 5G towers. Read it somewhere that the federal regulations prevented the city councils from having their normal due diligence. There were several health related concerns placed over 5G at its’ inception as well.

Yeah, I can well believe that. Given the sums of money involved it seems like it's pretty much "full speed ahead and **** the torpedoes!" when it comes to EM spectrum auctions here in the UK as well; IIRC, it was something like £26 billion in total for the spectrums now used by 4G/LTE/5G.

Anyway, it seems like this seems to be heading to a conclusion, with a whole bunch of aircraft altimeters now being certified as safe to use, although it's not clear if there are any constraints on the 5G deployment needed as well such as there are in Europe. For this to have seemingly blown over so abruptly, I'm guessing either the FAA has accepted its claims cannot be substantiated, field testing has shown there wasn't really an issue to start with, or there's been some form of compromise over the 5G deployment to reduce the risk to a level the FAA and airlines are prepared to accept.

From what the FAA briefed us on, they said our 5g towers push out 40% more jooooose than the other 40 countries running 5G. It does effect the magnetic compass on the 319, 320 and 321. But these are real pilots who actually fly a real aircraft, so when they crash its a little more than spilling the potato chips on your belly ;).

Reactions: frank candor

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54