DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brand new to drones..... Just bought the Mavic 2 Pro!!! Hello from New Jersey! Have a few quick questions.

The batteries need updating too??? I don't understand. Batteries and just batteries, aren't they??

Unfortunately, they contain a bit of code to make them smart (as Thomas mentioned). I think the message is “inconsistent firmware” when they need an update. You can just agree and it only takes a less than a minute if I remember right.

The batteries need updating too??? I don't understand. Batteries and just batteries, aren't they??
The firmware on the batteries is not updated often. If an update is available, you will see an "Inconsistent Firmware Found" message in DJI GO (like this). You should always install those updates when you see that prompt.

Thanks everybody! Loving the forum!!

- Joe
[/QUOTE]
The more experienced pilots here please correct me if I'm off on this---when you're ready to take it out of beginner or tripod mode I found it helpful to turn down the sensitivity of the control sticks.That way a movement of the stick gives you a smaller/slower movement of the drone.Have fun!

CONGRATS on the new UAV

Come fly with the Jersey Droners lol. join us on Meetup.

Seriously.... Find a wide open field. If its a park make sure its mostly empty and no rangers.. usually only see them in the bigger county parks. Technically there is only one county park in each county that allows "model aircraft" which they consider us to be. Usually empty township parks are okay.

I went to Duke Island county park before I knew any of that and practiced everything.. It was with my used Phantom 3.. I tried the RTH for the first time there and ran it down to low battery to see what would happen. I love the phantom because you can turn off GPS and positioning with the flick of a switch on the remote. I did that and practiced flying without Positioning or GPS.. That way once something goes wrong (compass error or position sensor error) you know how to fly. That being said I have almost no errors with the Mavic 2.... I did have sensor error and almost hit the ground hard when landing because if you have no sensors it won't slow down before it hits the ground to land.

The big open empty park was the best.. really made me comfortable. I also ordered a Bolt Bee from Holy Stone. for $40 It's a little fun racing drone that has nothing except a flip function.. That way you learn how to fly.

The only mistake I ever made that could have been real bad was flying my spark with only goggles and remote.. no monitor and no spotter.. I lost connection and couldn't find the drone. Wasn't sure if I should press RTH because it never told me it was recorded.. I did and luckily it came home.

The biggest mistake I have seen other people make is taking off abruptly and just going.. It's so important to hover (let the mavic record its take off site for precision landing). and look over all the data as you hover. Check battery voltage, check for any warnings and errors. Someone I know took off from a deck of a house that had piping running under it. Got compass error and lost positioning. The wind blew his drone towards people and then it crashed into a house. Luckily aside from props it was fine.

Its also better to fly above everything until you get some experience. That way if you have any issues you have time to react calmly and get your bird home.

As far a. NFZ. you should use Airmap and you can check the location on the GO4 App before you fly there. Also checking FAA.gov for TFRs is. a must especially if you plan on flying way out over water. If the president come to NJ you will be forced to suddenly land and I don't think it gives you that much time.

As far as updating and set up. The DJIGO4 app does it all for you and explains very clearly what to do. I think someone already mentioned beginner mode and the limits on height that it comes set to. You can change all that in settings. Do it before you go out to fly and waste time and battery trying to navigate the settings. You can everything inside your home except calibrate the compass. That has to be done away from any metal and is a quick process that you can do when you fly.

Firehouse strobes. are a great way to increase VLOS by miles.

You should consider getting your FAA Remote Pilot Certification. Part 107. Just in case you get the opportunity to do any commercial work.

I don't know what part of Jersey you are from, but Jersey Droners is flying out of Ideal Beach on Saturday morning at 6:30am. RSVP if you are coming because we don't want to many pilots.

Congrats again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BigAl07
Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will enjoy your M2 Pro.

I recommend that you make sure you have the latest version of DJI GO 4 installed and then update the firmware. Make sure you turn the bird on and connect with each of the batteries because there may be updates for them as well. I would also download the latest manual for the Mavic 2 and read it cover to cover. A ton of questions posted on this forum can be answered by the manual.

When you get ready to fly for the first time make sure there are no warnings in the app or on the controller. Verify that the radar indicator points the same way as the drone and take off and hover for a minute or two to make sure everything is copacetic then just enjoy.

Your advice is spot on and very well written. Thanks for taking the time.

Correct, I am not yet 107 Certified. I will get there though in time.

Not so hasty. I too thought "well, better get the 107 and be prepared". If someone offers me a job and then asks "of course, you have to be part 107 certified -- you do have that, yes?", I would need to be able to say "yes", right?

Then I learned that it's only good for 2 years, at which point you have to take it again. So maybe now I'm thinking of waiting until I need it.

To all: I read just this morning someone complaining that it's $150 a pop (every 2 years) to take it again -- is that true?

Chris

I used to think batteries were just batteries but I found out not all batteries are not alike.
These are "smart" batteries. They have computer chips inside. When you do an update you have to turn the drone off, remove the battery and put the next one in. Do that for all batteries you have.
These batteries left dormant for over 10 days will start to discharge.
These batteries are very powerful and don't like to left charge. Get your battery holders from Drone Valley to keep them. They are Lipo battery holders. It protects the battery's.
As battery technology advances you will see batteries go the way of "Super Capacitors" That is what is in the future.
Take it one step at a time. Fly safely and "Don't do anything Stupid".

I saw where it was suggested to watch youtube videos. I totally agree!!!!!!
You should make some popcorn and grab you favorite non-alcohalic beverage and plan on a marathon. There is so much valuable info, do's and don't do's, and many opinions out there in youtube land. Plus you get to see your bird in action. You should also read the manual, yes, but youtube is the good stuff. Closest thing to hands on you can get from home. Congrats!!!

Hello all!

So, my new drone (M2P) will be arriving tomorrow. What should I do first when I receive it? I am afraid of the NFZ / DJI controversy (but obviously not enough to not buy DJI... hope this was a good choice and doesn't turn into a NFZ headache).

I am aware of NLD. I will use them if I NEED to. Hopefully I won't. According to the DJI online map I am not in a NFZ. So that's a good thing. I do have a tiny airport within 5 miles, but it must not have registered on their NFZ map.

So...... my questions are:

1) When I first turn on the drone, controller, and download the app (I'm assuming DJI GO 4??), should I do the firmware upgrades, or cancel them? I did not purchase the Smart Controller.

2) Anything else I should or should not do when I unbox/get this new drone up and running??

Thanks everybody! Loving the forum!!

- Joe
Welcome Joe from Southern NJ. I'm new as well and I took it slow. I started studying for my 107 license so i can learn all the do's and don'ts. Passed it after a week of studying. I try and practice flying drills in my backyard every day. Making boxes, figure 8's, landing on a pizza box (my kids just bought me an official landing pad for father's day). I also find watching drone videos I find errors others make and file that away so i don't duplicate them. Great time so far. This forum is a great place to start as well as you are finding out. Have fun and fly safely. Roger

The firmware on the batteries is not updated often. If an update is available, you will see an "Inconsistent Firmware Found" message in DJI GO (like this). You should always install those updates when you see that prompt.
Three quick comments:
1) When you do the battery update - do not be in a hurry! If you interrupt the battery update process before it finishes, you can make your battery nonfunctional! I did it once outside with a poor internet connection and ended up with a battery as a paperweight.
2) FAA rules are changing but in addition to paying for the 107 license, the larger expense is that your personal liability insurance covers you if flying as a hobbyist but you need commercial liability insurance if flying 107. But if you do anything commercial (getting paid / compensated or for a commercial purpose), you need the 107.
3) Your first flight - do it in the middle of a large open field - not inside, not on your porch, not in a tiny forest clearing, not on a public sidewalk, etc ?

not on a public sidewalk
And not on sidewalks ever since many of them contain rebar that can negatively affect the aircraft compass.

As a newbie myself spend a few days looking at You tube lots of information there. Also only fly in beginners mode for a good few times. You may be a natural flier and pick it up quickly but there will be a time where you will be thankful for the time spent of researching and watching vids. Also lots of great guys on this forum will be there for you. Last thing, crashes of any kind are not good for you or the drone. Best regards.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys