DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

BREAKING Flights at Gatwick Airport halted amid reports of drone flying in area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty of lunatic environmentalist nut-jobs who'd do this sort of thing. Not just "the religion of peace" followers.
The radio dug up a few who said the people doing this should be given medals.

A large chunk of the drone user community seem unable and unwilling to follow the existing rules as well as highlighted by some of the posts and videos on this forum and elsewhere (and the countless unlocking, fcc, removing altitude limits threads on FB etc).

A large chunk of the drone user community seem unable and unwilling to follow the existing rules as well as highlighted by some of the posts and videos on this forum and elsewhere (and the countless unlocking, fcc, removing altitude limits threads on FB etc).

I fully unlocked my drone and my car can exceed the national speed limit but I don't break the rules in the air or on the road
!!

Absolutely zero point hacking a drone to fly within a NFZ or above the altitude limit if you have no intention breaking the law.

Plenty of lunatic environmentalist nut-jobs who'd do this sort of thing. Not just "the religion of peace" followers.
The radio dug up a few who said the people doing this should be given medals.

Thinking about exactly who or what the two arrested peoples intentions or motivation were to me there are a couple of considerations.

Followers of `The Religion of Peace` surely would want more violence, deaths etc and clearly had the opportunity to bring this about.

A couple of `nutters` doesn`t add up either, a bit advanced perhaps for the average idiot who would consider such actions.

So that leaves perhaps another group with an adgenda....and to my mind the Eco nut fits the bill, airport expansion etc

What do you think?

As to additional laws, restrictions etc, I really fail to comprehend how this would actually affect those who operate outside the law, it would surely just restrict those who operate within the law..

Absolutely zero point hacking a drone to fly within a NFZ or above the altitude limit if you have no intention breaking the law.

Exactly. Am I right in thinking that if you apply to the CAA for a one-off exception (and they grant it) that they/DJI can add a temporary exception to the geofencing? Thought I saw that here somewhere.

No matter the result, or who did this, this is not good for the drone flying community who are mainly law abiding enthusiasts. It may be a very "convenient" way to enact more laws and more surveillance after this, if you understand what I mean.... ;)

I really hope this does not lead to a blanket ban on drones.

How would whomever enforce a blanket ban on Drones? Impossible task my friend. Maybe Drones need IFF like aircraft?

This stinks! Who flies at midnight in the pissing rain?? What's with the bright light on the object?? Who flies again after causing so much disruption knowing there's a good chance they'll be caught?? I believe it reappeared at 3:am. Why is the airport still shut? Wow what incredible battery life!! Something's fishy.
I agree, something not right about whats this.
1 How can they fly so long, Drones the public can buy coould never reach the flight time of those involved.

2 The weather, and heavy rain, again no drone i know of ( other than military) could fly in those conditions.

3 Not even a complete idiot would keep returning.

4 This reeks of we are not being told the truth.

I think we should all wait for the facts to come out and not speculate on why!

I heard his girlfriend like to have sex under a Drone at night! Lol. Not

I unlocked the drone so I wouldn't be blocked from flying due to a forced update, or lack of internet connection and the DJI enforced NFZ do not reflect my local UAV laws and regulations.

What do you mean by a forced update? And geofencing works with GPS, not internet.

I agree, something not right about whats this.
1 How can they fly so long, Drones the public can buy coould never reach the flight time of those involved.

2 The weather, and heavy rain, again no drone i know of ( other than military) could fly in those conditions.

3 Not even a complete idiot would keep returning.

4 This reeks of we are not being told the truth.
Why does this keep coming up???
1) The drones were NOT hovering there for the entire hours of the flight-ban. The drones were flown onto the Airport into prominent areas where they were seen, then flown off - the problem for Airport Security was, that they had to confirm that the drone had gone and stayed gone before flights could resume. The drones were being flown onto the Airfield at regular enough times that Security could not guarantee that the airspace is clear. In essence, you only need a 10 minute flight every couple of hours to close down an airport indefinitely (just as we have seen)! One drone and a bag of batteries and you could make it last all night!
2) If you use Mr Google, you'll find a couple of DJI commercial grade Drones that will operate in rain, and rain-proofing for a Phantom 4 - as well as some other brands. ...
3) If that "complete idiot" was wanting to make a 'Save the Planet' eco-warrior type statement, then yes, they keep returning, to keep the airport on lock-down [see 1) above].
4) Only if you don't want to look into the logistics of flight safety and how it applies to the running of an Airport ...

Reactions: mnis
What do you mean by a forced update? And geofencing works with GPS, not internet.
importance of DJI GO app 4.1.3 forced update

DJI forced previous app updates and to update I need an internet connection - which is not available if your in a remote location. Geofencing is GPS based but the DJI enforced NFZ/Geofencing restrictions do not follow the laws and regulations of my country

DJI forced previous app updates and to update I need an internet connection - which is not available if your in a remote location. Geofencing is GPS based but the DJI enforced NFZ/Geofencing restrictions do not follow the laws and regulations of my country

Linking to an earlier thread full of misinformation doesn't make the argument. I'm not entirely sure about Android but I can say that there has never been a forced iOS update.

It is my fervent hope that these morons are, ultimately, fined and/or imprisoned to the full extent of UK law.

Mark

Reactions: old man mavic
Linking to an earlier thread full of misinformation doesn't make the argument. I'm not entirely sure about Android but I can say that there has never been a forced iOS update.
Okay:164809tdtt4la6ql5lq7n4.jpeg

Glad they caught the two people responsible.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but there is something not quite right about these reports. Not seen any clear pics / videos of these drones either which further fuels my suspicion.

I dunno, it just all seems very odd, and why is it taking nearly a whole day to deal with the matter? We look like a seriously incompetent, useless country right now.
Well after 2 whole days, the rozzers have apparently arrested 2 people. They were swanning around the whole time with Hi-Vis jackets on and yet no-one spotted them for 2 days. And apparently were 4 miles away from the airport! That's pretty good FPV flying at night, without getting disorientated? These people should be working for the military with skills like that.

Now that they have the people involved safely locked away in chokey, would it be perhaps too much to ask to see some actual pictures of these industrial type drones? Because all I've seen so far are a couple of blurry still pictures that could've been taken anywhere and a couple of even more blurry video's, that again, could've been taken anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tornado_33