DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Broken micro usb port on the mavic pro controller

Cj86

Reactions
Hi

I would like to get some help with my broken micro usb port on my mavic pro controller.
The controller dont charge anymore and I think the charge port is broken.
I would like to know if anyone knows if it is possible to repair this yourself or if I should send it in to a service place.

Thank you

Reactions: Former Member
Very careful. You must pay attention to the orientation of the plug because it's a weak point on the controller . I may be wrong but the last I read was that this part is hard to get . Be very careful if you want to open up your controller . tabs and small ribbon cables are easily broken . Your best bet is to contact Thunderdrones on here

Is this a common fault? How careful do you have to be when plugging in/out of that port?

Great question. The controllers side micro USB slot is very fragile. If at all possible, I recommend people use it only for charging, and use the bottom USB port for data. On your charge cable that goes into the USB slot, mark the top of it so that you will know the orientation that it goes in. I use a dot of bright red nail polish to mark it. Even if you only use the side port occasionally, be careful when sticking your cable in. Just one or two times that you put it in the wrong way can loosen the tongue inside the port on the controller. Not long after that, you will be wondering where that little black piece of plastic inside your case came from, and also wondering why your controller doesnt charge any more. :eek:

Replacing the 5 way switch board is not difficult, but it really requires some manhandling of the controller to get it apart. You can easily scratch the screen, get dirt inside the display, tear a ribbon cable, or other incidental damage. Dont ask me how I know ;)

Last edited:
Thank you all for fast and good answers. As Thunderdrones said, I tried to connect the charger wrong 2 times and that was all that was needed to destroy the port.

I found a video where the controller is disassembled. And from what I could see there was no soldering or heat gun involved?

If anyone knows a step by step guide for changing the port I would be very thankfull.

Thank you all for fast and good answers. As Thunderdrones said, I tried to connect the charger wrong 2 times and that was all that was needed to destroy the port.

I found a video where the controller is disassembled. And from what I could see there was no soldering or heat gun involved?

If anyone knows a step by step guide for changing the port I would be very thankfull.

Here ya go...
  1. Pry up the 5 way switch. Slowly and carefully and dont scratch the screen.
  2. Use a 1.5mm hex driver to remove the 2 screws under the claws
  3. Pop the 2 pieces that you just loosened, best with a small flat head screwdriver
  4. With a plastic spudger, pry the bottom cover off, very very gently. Get it up enough to be able to pop it off with your thumbs
  5. Remove 2 silver phillips screws
  6. Pop the 2 bottom tabs up so that you can pop the display off
  7. Put some Scotch tape over the display. If you get it dirty or dusty it will be hard to get clean again
  8. Unlock the ribbon cable that connects the 5 way switch board to the main board
  9. Unscrew 6 philips screws
  10. Remove the 2 buttons for record and snap picture
  11. Remove the 5 way switch board. You will have to wiggle it from side to side to get it out. It gets stuck on the M USB connector
  12. Dont loose the clear plastic piece on the right side of the board. That covers your power switch LED.
  13. Insert the new board. Make sure the ribbon is above the board before you install it
  14. Line up the M USB port with the controller case, that has to go in first.
  15. Line the 5 way switch board up with the screw holes
  16. Screw it in.
  17. Replace the 2 record buttons
  18. Connect the ribbon, and lock it in. The lock can break easily, be gentle.
  19. Take the scotch tape off the display. Dont get any dust of dirt on it, it's like a dirt and dust magnet
  20. Line up the display cover with the top tabs and snap it in. Make sure that both sides snap in equally.
  21. Replace the 5 way switch
  22. Screw in the 2 silver phillips screws
  23. Snap in the bottom cover. Line it up with the top tabs
  24. Replace the claw covers
  25. Screw them in

Presto! 1-2 hours later your controller will be fixed. (Unless you have some screws left over :eek:)

Last edited:

Here you go
Step one : Box it up
Step two : Obtain Thunderdrones address
Step three : Mail to thunderdrones
Step four : Go to post office and pickup your repaired remote
I don't mean to be an a** but one screw up and your remote could be ruined ..Wish you the best

Here you go
Step one : Box it up
Step two : Obtain Thunderdrones address
Step three : Mail to thunderdrones
Step four : Go to post office and pickup your repaired remote
I don't mean to be an a** but one screw up and your remote could be ruined ..Wish you the best

Exactly what I was thinking Thumbswayup

Here’s my way to avoid any possible way of damaging the micro USB port.
I bought a 3 pack of reversible micro usb cables on amazon. This way I don’t need to worry about the orientation of the plug when I charger the controller.
I also only use a short lightning cable using the USB port to plug my phone in when flying instead of using the micro USB port.

Here’s my way to avoid any possible way of damaging the micro USB port.
I bought a 3 pack of reversible micro usb cables on amazon. This way I don’t need to worry about the orientation of the plug when I charger the controller. I also only use a short lightning cable using the USB port to plug my phone in when flying instead of using the micro USB port.

Do you have a link?

Do you have a link?
Here’s the link to the cables I have (the micro usb cables also support data which is helpful for updating through DJI assistant):

Reversible Micro USB Cable,JianHan [3-Pack] Braided Micro USB Charging Cable for Samsung Galaxy S6,S6 Edge, Note 5,LG G3 G4, Nexus, Motorola, Android Smartphones and More (1.5ft/3.3ft/6ft Red) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EV1LEIA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_GzjvBb3AQP98H

SKYREAT 1.14ft/35cm Lightning USB Cable Cord [Apple MFi Certified] Perfect Size Right angle for DJI Mavic Air/Mavic Pro/Mavic Platinum,Parrot Anafi,Autel EVO,DJI Phantom Inspire Series https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073PW3VBK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_sAjvBbTAS1VCF

Here’s the link to the cables I have

Could you possibly take a closeup picture of the inside of the micro usb end of the cable? Whoever designed it has a great concept.

This would help alot of people who want to use the side controller port, even though it will still be fragile for any cable.

I can understand a USB C being reversible, but how can the offset male tongue in the controller fit into that plug?

@zachschul22 can you take a head on picture of yours? I might have to order one to see for myself. Im not sure how the offset of the tongue can fit into the same sized slot as a micro USB. Also, the end of the cable micro USB you show is hexagonal. Does this really fit?

I can understand a USB C being reversible, but how can the offset male tongue in the controller fit into that plug?

@zachschul22 can you take a head on picture of yours? I might have to order one to see for myself. Im not sure how the offset of the tongue can fit into the same sized slot as a micro USB. Also, the end of the cable micro USB you show is hexagonal. Does this really fit?
Yes it is hexagonal. Here's a head on picture of the reversible micro usb.

Attachments

• 90185B26-5264-4814-8618-CFFA2671DFB9.jpeg
    90185B26-5264-4814-8618-CFFA2671DFB9.jpeg
    277.2 KB · Views: 263

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato