DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

But it's too cold outside to enjoy flying my Drone…

Great video of the frozen forest, thanks for sharing. I have not had good results with the touch sensitive gloves.

To be fair, our country doesn’t have the population (to drive demand) to support such items when so few would use them. We don’t have extended winters like some do. Gotta complain about something, right? 😉

Reactions: LoudThunder
my fav snowy vid (not mine):

Great Video, Thanks for Sharing. I hope the Originator (Volvo Camper Life) Shared a Hot Chocolate with the little Mini 2 when they got home…

PS: When the Mini flew up to them and they "wiped it nose," it reminded me of when I was a little kid and my Mom would call me in and I run up to her and say, "Ah, Gee, Just a little longer?" and she would wipe my nose and say, "5-minutes more…"

There was a time when my toilet was a bucket inside the house that had no insulation in the walls so every night (-50F anyone?) it would get down to ambient temperature. I slept inside two sleeping bags as the home made wood stove could not hold heat for an entire night. Winter groceries were a two hour snowmobile ride across rivers and tundra in the dark, sometimes -40F, rolling at 60mph when possible (check THAT wind chill temp), pulling a freight sled that on one occasion led to me being lost on the tundra with cloud cover (no stars to navigate...no GPS or cell phones). Flying a drone at -20F? meh.
Like I said, no wimp, LOL. It takes a tough human to live up in the Great White North for sure!

Guess I’m a whimp but really cold Missouri days I fly from inside my nice warm car whenever possible.
you don't picture anyone sitting in a chair flying their drone at -25F in a 25mph outside do you? LOL. Personally, my cutoff for sitting outside is -20F in a 20mph wind.... (joke)

my cutoff for sitting outside is -20F in a 20mph wind....

When I look at your avatar (the photo, You?); I wonder if that's a mustache and beard or frost still clinging to your face after you've sat in your lawn chair, flying your bird when it's -20F in a 20-mph wind...

freeze.png

• Haha
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
my fav snowy vid (not mine):

When I look at your avatar (the photo, You?); I wonder if that's a mustache and beard or frost still clinging to your face after you've sat in your lawn chair, flying your bird when it's -20F in a 20-mph wind...

View attachment 151889
That's a frosted beard after a winter bike ride. :). I see you found a picture of my riding partner... LOL. Once I had to ride in the sled in back of a snowmachine (snowmobile) with snow being thrown up over me by the sled's track for 40 miles. When we got where we were going my face and head were completely covered in snow and ice. My breath kept a tube through which I could breath with no problem. It wasn't even concerning to me but as the sled pulled up to the village it got quite a few onlookers. They had to lead me, blind as I was, to the school and a large sink where they could run water over my head and get it all melted. Once a body part is frozen it doesn't hurt but the thawing is always a bit of an issue :). I have always been sad I never got any images from that. I have stories....

That's a frosted beard after a winter bike ride. :). I see you found a picture of my riding partner... LOL. Once I had to ride in the sled in back of a snowmachine (snowmobile) with snow being thrown up over me by the sled's track for 40 miles. When we got where we were going my face and head were completely covered in snow and ice. My breath kept a tube through which I could breath with no problem. It wasn't even concerning to me but as the sled pulled up to the village it got quite a few onlookers. They had to lead me, blind as I was, to the school and a large sink where they could run water over my head and get it all melted. Once a body part is frozen it doesn't hurt but the thawing is always a bit of an issue :). I have always been sad I never got any images from that. I have stories....
@akdrone I have to say I envy your life. I've always wanted to live in Alaska. In the farthest away corner from anybody lol. I actually dream of it often. I would be a good off gridder:) just my style 😎

The more snow the better in my opinion, just a nice cabin and my ham radios.and my drone sounds like a dream to me!

Cheers!

@akdrone I have to say I envy your life. I've always wanted to live in Alaska. In the farthest away corner from anybody lol. I actually dream of it often. I would be a good off gridder:) just my style 😎

The more snow the better in my opinion, just a nice cabin and my ham radios.and my drone sounds like a dream to me!

Cheers!
If your interested in some really great off grid video follow this young couple. They live off the land and put out a video at least once every two weeks of their Adventures.

Reactions: NewAir2sMan
See, that would be the dream right there, thanks @Agustine ! Great suggestion I had to subscribe.
Great people
I sent them some bread starter two years ago and they could not believe someone from Ontario cared enough to send them something. Eric needs to learn how to clean Pike but both are pretty good at fishing. Wish I could get some of that Copper Rive salmon they just netted. :)

Great people
I sent them some bread starter two years ago and they could not believe someone from Ontario cared enough to send them something. Eric needs to learn how to clean Pike but both are pretty good at fishing. Wish I could get some of that Copper Rive salmon they just netted. :)
You and me both, those salmon would keep me happy for ages!

The problem with supposed touch-sensitive gloves is that they are intermittently unreliable — and of course you just know that they'll fail when you really need to touch that ___ button in the UI (fill in the blank...).

Bare hands are best IMHO, but best to have hand cream or something to keep them slightly moist: when it is below -20C, skin gets very dry, which means it doesn't work on a screen either.

I find that gloves with no ends on the fingers & thumbs work well, but my go-to approach for flying in anything below -25C (-13F) is to sit in a heated car.

Cheers!
Don't forget you'll need to be on a river and have a good motorboat to bring in the 55gal drums of gasoline to run the electricity to charge the drone batteries and run the ham radio. Of course, since this is a mind-game you could just have your own plane and clear a landing strip with the Cat you had hauled up the river on the barge. You'll want to envision yourself as independently wealthy. Short of that it's really, really hard to pull off living in the bush in a cozy little cabin. Dreams, however, are free! :) best to ya.... You can catch a few other Alaskan videos and quite a few biking videos in Denali National Park along with a drone video from Atigun Pass you might enjoy at my mostly ignored youtube channel :). https://www.youtube.com/user/digibud/videos

Don't forget you'll need to be on a river and have a good motorboat to bring in the 55gal drums of gasoline to run the electricity to charge the drone batteries and run the ham radio. Of course, since this is a mind-game you could just have your own plane and clear a landing strip with the Cat you had hauled up the river on the barge. You'll want to envision yourself as independently wealthy. Short of that it's really, really hard to pull off living in the bush in a cozy little cabin. Dreams, however, are free! :) best to ya.... You can catch a few other Alaskan videos and quite a few biking videos in Denali National Park along with a drone video from Atigun Pass you might enjoy at my mostly ignored youtube channel :). https://www.youtube.com/user/digibud/videos
Oh I've seen alot of your videos, it's not ignored trust that! I just don't comment alot but I do have a question though, are you living off grid/in the bush life? I can't really tell by what little I can glean from here and YouTube.

Oh I've seen alot of your videos, it's not ignored trust that! I just don't comment alot but I do have a question though, are you living off grid/in the bush life? I can't really tell by what little I can glean from here and YouTube.
The couple I posted a link to their youtube channel live completely off grid year round. They shower outside all year in a make shift shower room, they get power from their solar panels. They get eggs from their chickens, they kill moose and what ever is in season to feed them selfs and their dogs year round even if its road kill that the ministry will give them a call to come pick up. They have a garden and green house to dye for. Many videos are about preserving food in jars. They have bee hives for honey. The make birch syrup just like maple syrup. Not one thing is on grid other then their truck and gas for the boat, snow machines and what ever needs it to run which is very little. Alaska weather is not much different from Northern Ontario weather in the winter time. 40 below is 40 below no matter where you live. The nice thing about Alaska is the long days during the summer, something we don't get here. It helps

Reactions: NewAir2sMan
no no...not at all. I lived for four years in an Eskimo and Indian village when I taught school in the bush. Then I met "the wife" and moved to North Pole. Still have moose and eagles and ducks and beaver in the slough in back of the house but now my house has insulation...oil heat...electricity...UPTOWN!

no no...not at all. I lived for four years in an Eskimo and Indian village when I taught school in the bush. Then I met "the wife" and moved to North Pole. Still have moose and eagles and ducks and beaver in the slough in back of the house but now my house has insulation...oil heat...electricity...UPTOWN!
LOL movin on up like George and weezy! 😀

The couple I posted a link to their youtube channel live completely off grid year round. They shower outside all year in a make shift shower room, they get power from their solar panels. They get eggs from their chickens, they kill moose and what ever is in season to feed them selfs and their dogs year round even if its road kill that the ministry will give them a call to come pick up. They have a garden and green house to dye for. Many videos are about preserving food in jars. They have bee hives for honey. The make birch syrup just like maple syrup. Not one thing is on grid other then their truck and gas for the boat, snow machines and what ever needs it to run which is very little. Alaska weather is not much different from Northern Ontario weather in the winter time. 40 below is 40 below no matter where you live. The nice thing about Alaska is the long days during the summer, something we don't get here. It helps
I've watched a few of there videos so far, real inspirational I might add

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada