DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can a UAV bring down a plane?

Danchow96

Reactions
Just a curious question, as I live directly over a flight path but very far from an airport.

How much damage can drones cause planes?

At what stage can plane pilots see the drone?

Do they have any special sensors for detecting birds or drones?

The results could be catastrophic so please do not put this theory to the test. Just a discussion for people to spread their knowledge on this subject.

To my knowledge, it could be catastrophic. If not with injury, you may cause an engine to blow when the drone gets sucked in causing massive damage for the engine similar to a birdstrike. And God knows what other kind of damage you could cause (snapping off sensors etc.) Risks that should indeed not be tested.
While airplanes are designed to fly with one engine, it's not a walk in the park for a pilot IIRC. Not to mention the damage one could cause to single engine airplanes.

Pilots could maybe see the drone 10 meters before it hits them. So, as in spotting a drone, near to impossible. Especially white and small drones, which are already hard to see from the ground, let alone from a cockpit while controlling an aircraft.

In that regard, they do not have sensors to detect such small crafts, and even if they had, there's not a chance a jet would deviate from its landing/takeoff course just to avoid a drone.

So my advice if you want to fly near an airport, do not go above the treeline. Ever. You don't want to be the first guy to hit the news with a drone to plane collision. And if you live far enough from the airport itself (check the nofly zones) staying below the legal height limit should be fine.

There's an infinitesimal chance that a drone could cause an airplane to crash.
It could do a bit of damage though, which would take the airplane out of service until repairs were made, a great expense.
Taking one through the engine would cause damage, but failure would be extremely unlikely.

Given the current environment, I believe a huge effort would be made to find the drone operator and hold him responsible for civil and criminal penalties.

They don't have sensors for such things.
Further, a pilot would absolutely maneuver to avoid a drone.
The problem is there wouldn't be enough time between visual detection and the ability to avoid it.
The difference between birds and drones is that birds are very adept at avoiding airplanes.
Drones are not.

Reactions: Danchow96
It all depends on speed and type of aircraft. A drone would most definitely come through the windscreen of a lot of aircraft, so you can imagine what this could do. It would also have a good chance of rupturing the leading edge fuel tank of a Cessna. Then you have multiple scenarios of what could happen if taken into a turbine. In my 40 years in aviation I have seen plenty of bird strikes and the damage caused by different sized birds so I am pretty sure of what a drone could do. (Actually saw the results of a snake strike believe it or not, but that’s another story :) )

I know there’s been a story I think in California of the first drone to take down a helicopter... is it just a matter of time before a catastrophe happens? Or is the aviation technology already ahead of fatal bird strikes etc?

When humans are involved there is always a chance of error I guess...

I know there’s been a story I think in California of the first drone to take down a helicopter... is it just a matter of time before a catastrophe happens? Or is the aviation technology already ahead of fatal bird strikes etc?

When humans are involved there is always a chance of error I guess...
You know what? Please provide a link of a consumer RPA 'taking down a helicopter'.......

Reactions: jcp411
Reactions: Danchow96
There's an infinitesimal chance that a drone could cause an airplane to crash.
It could do a bit of damage though, which would take the airplane out of service until repairs were made, a great expense.
Taking one through the engine would cause damage, but failure would be extremely unlikely.

Given the current environment, I believe a huge effort would be made to find the drone operator and hold him responsible for civil and criminal penalties.

They don't have sensors for such things.
Further, a pilot would absolutely maneuver to avoid a drone.
The problem is there wouldn't be enough time between visual detection and the ability to avoid it.
The difference between birds and drones is that birds are very adept at avoiding airplanes.
Drones are not.

I totally agree.

As a helicopter mechanic and pilot, there is no doubt in my mind that a collision with a drone, such as a Mavic could cause serious harm to a manned aircraft. As to whether or not this could cause a death, it would need to be very particular situation.

Keep in mind though, that "a plane" takes on many different meanings. The general public most-often thinks of Airliners (A320, B737, etc) because they have most of their airplane-related experiences there. The larger the aircraft, the more systems it has aboard, and the more redundancy is built into each system. (The 373 has a triple hydraulic system, for example).

There is another facet to aviation, called "GA" short for General Aviation. (aka not-the-airlines) GA Aircraft are generally much smaller, and many people are surprised at just-how-small they are (Being used to the largest heavier-than-air flying machines as 'the norm' standard tends to make one biased ; )

Examples:

R-22 Helicopter

Cessna 150

There are also "Experimental" and "Light Sport" aircraft, which make up a sizable part of the aircraft numbers in the U.S. (where I live).

I'm not 100% certain of the numbers, but I suspect Airliners are a minority of aircraft in the U.S., although they do on-average fly more flights-per-plane.

Every aircraft has vulnerable systems that need to be aligned, calibrated, rigged, etc. (I know because I provide this service) Most aircraft are built to be as light as possible, given the size they are, and there are a lot of strength-to-weight trade-offs.

Like ascension said:

Birds are wired for survival, most drones can't even look up.

Last edited:
i chased a MYLAR balloon w/ my MAV,.. for a while yesterday,, wondering the same thing,(what happens when one of Those gets sucked into an intake or.....)
it was above my ceiling, thought about how i might take it out /down,
useful drone fantasy?

I might have just drempt this but didn't the FAA just recently publish their investigatory findings on this very subject. From memory, a consumer drone could cause material damage to a helicopter but presents negligible risk to a passenger airframe.

I think the study was something to do with potentially relaxing the rules about flying VLOS.

edit: added study context.

It's not even a fair debate. You risk nothing but losing your equipment where as the pilot or student pilot can loose their life.
Drones have no transponder so the pilot has no chance of any detection but visual. Good luck with that. I think all drones should have transponder that automatically comes on over 200 ft. I have over 1200 hrs in small planes and a drone could put a small plane down easy. Rip a stabilator apart or come through a windshield. And even if the drone just smashes into it and falls, it's gotta land somewhere like someone's house car or worse. As a pilot and drone enthusiast plz keep those drones low and in sight.

I'm sorry I was just pointing to what I thought he was referring to and I was not there so I will not speculate on it as you just did . Here's more on it from another of our forum's What May Be U.S.’s First Drone-Linked Aircraft Crash Is Being Investigated.

Yea I know that you just linked the article, just wanted to point it out for others. It's not just speculation at this point, anyone with experience in aviation will tell you that the pilot clearly overreacted even if there really was some kind of drone..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom