DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can anyone recommend an Android tablet similar in size to an iPad mini?

Xiaomi Mi-Pad 4. I use the Mi-Pad 3 since two years and it works flawlessly. Same good screen as the iPad mini 4 but far less expensive.

So first of all I have not flown the MA2 with this tablet yet, but for those wondering about the Galaxy Tab s2 or having issues with it. One thing to remember, there are 2 main flavors of this tablet, one with the samsung exynos proc(not 64-bit) and one with a snapdragon(64-bit). I confirmed I can install the fly app on my T813(snapdragon). I will test it out tomorrow.

The latest Samsung Galaxy Tabs are pretty cheap in price and have decent specs. I'll throw my name in the hat for recommending one of these too.

Bjs Club has a good buy for the Galaxy Tab S5e!

Strange goings on: I have many Android devices and all of them cannot get the DJI Fly app to present on Android Play Store... any ideas as to why this is..? (I'm in Canada)
as stated here before you need a 64-bit device. Most devices made in last 5 years are 64-bit,but not knowing what you have and what version of android it's hard to tell. Here's one thing I always do when something like this happens is to go to the app in the store on the web and see which registered devices it thinks it can install on and it will often tell you why they are not compatible.
click the little "i" information icon next to "this app is compatible with some of your devices" label

Guess they don't tell you why anymore, but you can see what devices it should work on if any.

I used to use a Samsung Galaxy S7Edge but I don't like flying and getting interrupted by a call or text. I switched to using a Galaxy Tab A (newer model) and it works just fine however it's not very sunlight readable without a hood. Inexpensive though and I tether it to my phone for live map updates.

I am looking for a newer tablet though that's better sunlight visible. Don't always like using a hood.

I purchased a Samsung Galaxy tab A ,an 8 inch tablet that works without any problem ,150 bucks at Bestbuy

Reactions: Elrod44
Anyone know of a tablet with HDMI out that will work for MM? I do not want to use a "casting" device. I'm sure this question has come up before but I have yet to find the answer. It seems only the cheap tablet models have HDMI? Doesn't make sense to me. Pls help thanks!

Anyone know of a tablet with HDMI out that will work for MM? I do not want to use a "casting" device. I'm sure this question has come up before but I have yet to find the answer. It seems only the cheap tablet models have HDMI? Doesn't make sense to me. Pls help thanks!
Any samsung tablet with USBC should support HDMI out through USBC-HDMI cable. Tab S3,S4,S5 and S6 all support HDMI out. Anything with Micro-USB is going to be hit or miss.

The Tab S4 is older but more performance than the 5E. All the upper end Tab S4, 5E. and S6 all perform nicely.

Reguarding over heat... that will occur with any tablet. If the screen is exposed to Sun, they'll over heat to a failure point. I use multiple
air iPads, mini 5 ipads, ipad pro 10.5, and Tab S4... all overheat within a short timeframe of the others.... although when placed in shade or under cover, the Tab S4 recovers quickly.

Friend has a Teclast M89 Pro 7.9 inch tablet that has worked flawlessly for him - and it fits the controller without the need for a cradle. Doesn't appear to be available any more, or not from AliExpress anyway.

I use an iPad 4 and also regularly get the CPU overload warning, despite the iPad being stripped of other apps and used exclusively for the drone.

Reactions: tusc
Im an android person, using an ipad mini 5 w celluar. My next tablet is going to be an android, so im watching this thread. No complaints the mini has been flawless! I was wondering if the Samsung Tab 6, with verizon LTE would work like the minis GPS where you dont have to activate the cell service?

I use a Samsung Tab A... Bought it off some 12 year old on CL for 60 bucks and I gotta say it's the best 60 bucks I've ever spent. ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESS!

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0" is my preferred tablet. Works just fine.
I also have a Samsung 10.1" tab but a little cumbersome for my liking. And to round things off, my favorite is my Moverio 300 bte glasses.

I have bought this Android tablet pc, 10 inches, 6+64G storage capacity. Run smoothly.
Wow! You've got that running the Fly app smoothly?
I've tried 3 tablets with similar specs and the DJI app would not connect to the controller (regardless of the cable)
I've got the verizon Asus Z8S and that seems to be playing very nicely with the Fly app. But your's has a bigger screen and a better price than even the Z8S. ($105 on ebay)

It may be out of the OP's initial request, the new Samsung Tab S7 or S7 Plus are great new tablets when Android tablet development is declining. The aspect of the Plus model may sound large, but it appears much smaller than the large iPad pro. I personally think the 11" iPad pro to be ideal size... I currently use the 10.5 iPad Pro and have a iPad Mini 4th gen, and Tab S6. I rarely use the Tab S6 unless a Android dedicated app. The 4th Gen Cellular Mini works adequately but not as nice as a iPad Pro and once mounted to RC... overall there isn't a benifit to a slightly smaller screen considering the full package. If small is needed, a large iPhone or Android phone provide a compact package with minimal difference in screen size.

Main issue is normally heat on all units (when hardware is within requirements). On a clear day with Sun, even if moderate temps, they can reach temps that a shut all tablets down due to glass temps transferred to hardware. A Hoodman's hood greatly reduces that problem. The X-naut cooler has also proven it's worth in both cockpit and sUAV controls. I haven't personally used an X-naut, although I've ordered both a 11" and 10.5" to experiment... they have a nice military / vet discount too.

So I purchased a used iPad mini 4 back when I bought the Mavic Mini last year. I've stopped using it with my new MA2 as I keep getting the dreaded CPU overloaded issue. For now I just use my S20+ and can screen record with no issues.

I'd like to try an 8" Android tablet this time as I don't want to invest in used Apple gear that is frankly overpriced (IMHO) with an outdated processor. Any recommendations on a model that has a decent CPU that won't experience the same issue? Or is the iPad mini 5 the go to for most of you? Thanks.
I would think any of the Samsung Galaxy Tab S5 to the new S7 10 in. should work.
I would be interested in knowing if anyone is using one now.
Keep us posted!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000