DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can anyone tell me if my back yard should be safe to fly in?

djiboi

Reactions
Hi, I was trying to wrap my head around the No fly zone maps and thought I would checkout my back yard

Ottawa, Scunthorpe

Google Maps

As far as I can tell, there are no restrictions in place. Yet there are always very low flying aircraft zipping around over my house. Are they flying illegally?

untitled-110637.jpg

Reactions: daisy-girl
Hi, I was trying to wrap my head around the No fly zone maps and thought I would checkout my back yard

Ottawa, Scunthorpe

Google Maps

As far as I can tell, there are no restrictions in place. Yet there are always very low flying aircraft zipping around over my house. Are they flying illegally?

View attachment 35401
probably from hibaldstow airfield about 10miles from you.

That seems likely. What confuses me is that in the UK drone users are allowed to fly up to around 120 meters. That aircraft seemed to be very close to that height. Are they allowed to fly that low when 10 miles from the airfield?

According to the ATC Surveillance Minimum Altitude Chart for EGCN Doncaster/Sheffield, aircraft on approach to RWY 20, could well descend to 2500' very near to you.

http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadb...s/AD/AIRAC/EG_AD_2_EGCN_5-1_en_2018-03-01.pdf

http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadb.../AD/AIRAC/EG_AD_2_EGCN_8-10_en_2018-03-01.pdf

Not familiar with the local laws regarding UAS's, but I'd advise you become so before flying.
Also, you might try to connect up with some local commercial pilots (or the ATC folks at Doncaster/Sheffield) and ask them for the local picture.

Last edited:
1700' is around 500m, much lower than that aircraft looked.

That seems likely. What confuses me is that in the UK drone users are allowed to fly up to around 120 meters. That aircraft seemed to be very close to that height. Are they allowed to fly that low when 10 miles from the airfield?
hibaldstow to breighton could overfly you but at minimum 500 feet

So i'm right in thinking that 500 feet is lowest any aircraft will fly unless ascending/descending near an airfield. So as a rule of thumb, providing I stick to lower than 120m I should be fine?

So i'm right in thinking that 500 feet is lowest any aircraft will fly unless ascending/descending near an airfield. So as a rule of thumb, providing I stick to lower than 120m I should be fine?
yup
your max is 400
there min 500
each airfield will have there own approach alt (that could be higher to allow for stacking)

Reactions: laurens23
Thanks, i'll stay away from airfields and bring down my drone if I even hear an aircraft around me.

Ottawa, Scunthorpe

Google Maps

View attachment 35401

Are they selling :p at Hygrow Hydroponics?

Reactions: djiboi
Looking at your neighborhood I would not even consider flying in the back yard.
You are surrounded by 2 story houses and you could very easily and quickly lose sight
of your MP behind one of the houses and that could be catastrophic.
First READ THE MANUAL FULLY and then go find a big flat field close to you where there are no obstructions and practice there.
Keep it low, under 100 feet, keep it slow and most definitely keep it in visual range.
Happy flying.

Looking at your neighborhood I would not even consider flying in the back yard.
You are surrounded by 2 story houses and you could very easily and quickly lose sight
of your MP behind one of the houses and that could be catastrophic.
First READ THE MANUAL FULLY and then go find a big flat field close to you where there are no obstructions and practice there.
Keep it low, under 100 feet, keep it slow and most definitely keep it in visual range.
Happy flying.
Thanks for the advice, the intention was not to fly in this area, it was more to clear up my understanding of the height restriction and no fly zones. I thought I understood that no aircraft should be flying low over my house but seeing that plane the other day, it made me question my logic.

Would not recommend flying around neighborhood you live in. Most people are anti drone. I have flown mine once ,in my neighborhood just to get the layout, and check out my roof . My neighbors were not happy I did that, I find suitable places else where.

Or you could do what I did. Buy 20 acres out in the countryside and fly there whenever you want. Any one tresspasses on my property to complain and they will get a haircut with a picture.;)

Hopefully I don't crash it in the 17 acres that is forested though:(

Or you could do what I did. Buy 20 acres out in the countryside and fly there whenever you want. Any one tresspasses on my property to complain and they will get a haircut with a picture.;)

Hopefully I don't crash it in the 17 acres that is forested though:(

Lol, still wouldn't help if someone flys over low like they do my property.

Last edited:
I have done a couple of flights, more like jumps, in my backyard.
Never higher than the eaves on my own house and never beyond the property lines.
Also, my entire backyard is surrounded by very tall hedges, so no neighbours to really see.

And I keep them short.

I imagine it's the same rule all around the world. Man takes priority over machine.

I also thought that aircraft were flying very low over my house. They just looked lower than 400 feet. But a couple of times I got up in the air after they passed. They were still a safe amount higher than me. That being said, whenever I hear an aircraft in the distance, I immediately drop my drone to under 100 feet.

Reactions: djiboi
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111