DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I fly a mavic mini drone in local parks

cilantro

Reactions
I just got my mini and did some research. According to this government page :"Use of drones at Parks Canada places", it shows " All Parks Canada places are “no drone zones” for recreational use ". I understand flying drones in national/provincial/municipal parks is definitely prohibited. But how about local parks? BTW, is there any good spots in west GTA?

Reactions: FraserLW
Use Google and you will be surprised as to what is on the interweb...
"
From the Mississauga Parks By-Law (186-05)

While in a park, no person shall: […] operate any remote-controlled or other powered devices, including but not limited to, model versions of aircraft, rockets, watercraft and vehicles, other than in a designated area unless authorized by Permit;
This particular wording is pretty broad and definitely includes “drones.”

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
New to the drone world. Any reason why there is so much aversion to these devices? Like why can you not fly in one of our vast Provincial or National parks?

The first thing to remember is that, even though you don’t need a licence or registration to fly a Mini because of its weight, all the other regulations that apply to drones still affect you (and me too by the way).
Rule of thumb: Know the regulations as they apply to you and ask permission if you’re flying anywhere where other people are nearby. I haven’t tried it yet but I’m guessing that, if you plan your flights for a time when very few or no other people will be around, you may have an easier time getting permission to fly in many areas that would normally be restricted.

Reactions: kevbac
Just go on YouTube and see how many people brag about what they did with their drones and where they did it, willingly and knowlingly endangering people, laughing about peoples concerns, not in the lightest way or form responsible.
It will take hundreds of people to build a good reputation, just one fool to destroy it.
That might explain the problem people have with drones.
It is up to the responsible pilots to restore the reputation, would be good if you are one of them.

Reactions: Thanev and kevbac
The first thing to remember is that, even though you don’t need a licence or registration to fly a Mini because of its weight, all the other regulations that apply to drones still affect you (and me too by the way).
Rule of thumb: Know the regulations as they apply to you and ask permission if you’re flying anywhere where other people are nearby. I haven’t tried it yet but I’m guessing that, if you plan your flights for a time when very few or no other people will be around, you may have an easier time getting permission to fly in many areas that would normally be restricted.

Not directly related to flying in parks, but the way I try to deal with people who are nearby and curious...

I haven't been flying long but EVERY time I set up within sight of people (beyond the 30m distance), someone will come over and ask about the drone.
I'll chat and answer their questions and when they ask if I mind if they watch, the conversation pretty much always includes something like:
Me: "I'm not legally allowed to fly within 100 feet of anyone who isn't part of my crew."
Them: Look of disappointment.
Me: (If I think they'll follow my instructions and actually help observe VLOS) "But, if you want, I can make you part of my crew for this flight."
Them: Look of enthusiasm
Me: "That means a couple of things. First, if I tell you to move - it's probably because there's a problem. If that happens, move away quickly, but be careful not to trip over anything. If it sounds like I'm giving you an order, it will probably be to prevent an accident - the propellers spin pretty fast and I don't want to get blood all over them. Is that ok?"
Them: Puzzled look, then realization - maybe a laugh. "Yes"
Me: "Second, I have to be able to keep the drone in line of sight the entire time it's flying. I'm going to be concentrating on it but I have to land it very quickly if there's any real aircraft in the area. So, your job will be to look around every few seconds to see if there are any planes or helicopters coming nearby. Can you do that?"
Them: "Yes"
Me: "Welcome to my flight crew! I have to finish my checklist before I take off. Want me to tell you what I'm doing as I get ready to fly?"
Them "Yes" - usually with a big smile by this point.
Me: "Ok, so I have to ..."
And off I go.

About parks, though, the 'rules' can be kind of funny. For example, there are places that you can't take off or land in the park, but you CAN fly in/over them.
Get in touch with whoever controls the park - local bylaw (call 311 in many places in Canada) and ask.

Reactions: MMPerrish
As a quadcopter pilot AND a rc plane pilot,I feel people go to a park to experience natural surroundings....NOT the aggravating and often intrusive sound of drones and other assorted aircraft.Animals tend to not appreciate them either...perhaps this is what the rule makers were thinking?

Reactions: j.r.r. and kevbac
As a quadcopter pilot AND a rc plane pilot,I feel people go to a park to experience natural surroundings....NOT the aggravating and often intrusive sound of drones and other assorted aircraft.Animals tend to not appreciate them either...perhaps this is what the rule makers were thinking?
I try to not annoy people or animals when I fly. Some municipal parks are OK, some are not. Provincial parks, I think I might want to fly in some. And, if I was given permission to do so, I would avoid flying when/where it might bother people or animals.

I've been in other conversations where people try to stretch the limits and find as many loopholes as possible. I think the guideline should be - if you need to look for a loophole, maybe just look for another place to fly.

People going too far out of their way to exploit loopholes is how extra rules wind up being made. Extra rules are not generally designed to make things more fun.

Last edited:
Great that you consider the effects on others and animals.The sound of a drone or aircraft can really carry,and we are not always aware of others or animal locations. I think that most would not give a darn,therefore,rules for the masses dictated by acts of the few.

Great that you consider the effects on others and animals.The sound of a drone or aircraft can really carry,and we are not always aware of others or animal locations. I think that most would not give a darn,therefore,rules for the masses dictated by acts of the few.
Unfortunately, there's no emoji for - "sadly, I agree".

There's an osprey nest near one place that I fly once in a while. It's at a St. Lawrence Seaway lock. The locks are about 230 metres (roughly 760 feet), plus areas that feed into them. I'd estimate that the nest is, about 50 or 60 metres past (outside) one end of the lock, proper. I launch from near the opposite end of the lock, go straight up to 120 metres AGL and then fly out a couple hundred metres further away and hover there to get the shots I want. I'm keeping the drones more than 30 metres from people, and around 1/2 km or more from the nest.

This particular pair of ospreys and their chicks are VERY used to human noises, though, ships pass through the locks at any time of day or night (not exactly silent), and while the chicks are getting ready for their first flights, there is usually a large cadre of photographers.

I have some photos and videos of the ospreys and their chicks - NOT taken with a drone. And, seriously, if someone were to intrude on them with a drone, I would hope momma or poppa osprey would take it down (without getting hurt).

Purely subjective, because I haven't measured: In my drones, the Mavic pro seems the loudest - not that it's frighteningly loud, but it could be disturbing. The Mini isn't very loud, but the 'flock of angry bees' pitch may be annoying. The Inspire is a lower pitch and doesn't seem as loud even as the Mini (I haven't measured, so that's purely subjective). The Tello, well, I'm scared to fly it high or far enough away to not have it sound like a big mosquito.

• Haha

I thought this at first because I read it in a bunch of places (mostly forums, etc.) and I think even DJI says something similar but I think I've researched it enough now to know this isn't true. Almost none of the drone regulations apply to something weighing less than 250g.

This guy knows a lot more than me so maybe watch this:

Of course none of this has anything to do with the OP's question about parks. If a municipality has a by-law naming all remotely controlled devices, it trumps everything.

And here's the same thing from the horse's mouth (Transport Canada):

I own a registered Mavic Air 2 with the basic flight certification and an unregistered Mini. With this knowledge in hand, I'll be flying the Air 2 within the regulations and reserve the Mini for more advanced flying (safe of course). Pretty sure I'm being legal with this approach and I'm happy I own both devices.

Have fun.

Last edited:
I generally launch from places with no one or very few people around, then fly to my point of interest. One of the reasons I like the M2 Zoom, is I don't necessarily have to get real close to get what I want.

Sorry, I am new here. I am thinking of buying a drone. I also live in GTA, Scarborough. So Parks is not allow, Red Zone is not allow. I am asking, where do you guys in the GTA fly then? I think of getting the mini which is under 250g, don't tell me only indoor? Can someone name me a place in Toronto? Please????

Reactions: FraserLW
I just got my mini and did some research. According to this government page :"Use of drones at Parks Canada places", it shows " All Parks Canada places are “no drone zones” for recreational use ". I understand flying drones in national/provincial/municipal parks is definitely prohibited. But how about local parks? BTW, is there any good spots in west GTA?
Hello there, it depends where you are. I have spoken with a couple different supervisors after contacting 311. Currently drones are not addressed under the by-laws and the same goes for RPAS, contact the park supervisor of the park you want to fly at. Each supervisor is different and may not want a drone taking off or landing in their park. Follow TC regulations and you're good.

Reactions: Thanev
Hello there, it depends where you are. I have spoken with a couple different supervisors after contacting 311. Currently drones are not addressed under the by-laws and the same goes for RPAS, contact the park supervisor of the park you want to fly at. Each supervisor is different and may not want a drone taking off or landing in their park. Follow TC regulations and you're good.
Asking for permission is easier than begging for forgiveness...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78