DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I transport my Mavic in Thailand?

I was in Thailand 2 months ago for holidays. No drone flying. My wife is Thai and her brother works for the Thai Government.

He made enquiries for me ( hence the email I received and shared here). Tourists can apply for permit to fly in Thailand, providing they respect the rules and regulations ( no flying in a populated area, etc, etc)

Should you fly and get caught without a permit, then a tourist canbe liable for a hefty fine or a maximum of 6 months jail.

This is not my interpretation, but what I was told.

As per my previous comments, they do ask for a lot of info when you apply for the permit and it does take approx 60 days to process.

Well, I will tell you my experience. I have lived in Thailand for over 20 years but have only been flying a Mavic for the past six months. I have 5 friends (1 westerner and 4 Thais) with drones (total 2x Phantom and 4x Mavic). I have gone through the airports (Suvarnabhumi, Don Muang, Phuket, Trang) at least a dozen times and have also flown in visits to China, Indonesia, Bali, Vietnam and Myanmar. In fact I came through Don Muang yesterday having been droning in Rhakine State. I have not encountered any problems. Often when travelling in Thailand I take my drone entirely in hand luggage. The X ray people have inspected it on a couple of occasions but that is about it (once they told me to take the battery out of the actual Mavic and keep it separate but that is standard procedure.) Generally speaking, (especially when travelling elsewhere in Asia) I keep my Mavic in checked luggage and my batteries in hand luggage.

Having said all that, Laws in Asia are extremely flexible (deliberately so) so you always run the potential risk going through airports that a customs official doesnt like the look of you or your Mavic and might confiscate it. I havent heard of it happening in Thailand yet but I have heard of it happening in Danang, Vietnam.

As far as permits go for Thailand. If you read the rules and the Laws you may well conclude that you shouldnt bring in a drone as a tourist. The Ministry of Transport latest regulations state that any drone with a camera needs a permit and getting a permit and using a drone (without a work permit) would be against the Labor Laws (which is a serious offense). I would hazard a guess that if you produced a drone permit to a local policeman as a foreigner he would immediately ask to see your work permit. The reality is that virtually everyone (whether tourist, western resident or local Thai) who isnt using a drone for commercial purposes doesnt have a permit and hasnt applied. Certainly I havent nor have any of my friends. I know of one westerner with a permit but he is using his drone for commercial real estate photography.

I actually looked into acquiring a permit on the basis that at some point I might do some commercial work with a drone (I already have a work permit). But it is quite a difficult procedure and drone insurance is quite a lot of hassle to get in Thailand unless you are a juristic person. (Essentially I would need to set up a company for the purpose.) I guess if you are a tourist it is possible that you already have insurance with worldwide coverage which would already qualify you there.

To the best of my knowledge you could not be prosecuted in Thailand for not having a permit as this would require an amendment to the 2015 Act. You could possibly be fined but I doubt any fine would exceed US$30 (Bt1,000). The chances are any run in with the police could get your prosecuted for breaking the Law though. If you read the article in the Bangkok Post and posted above there is a lot of talk of the need for permission to fly a drone. This refers to the existing Law that states that if you fly over private property you need permission from the property owner (it has nothing to do with the need for a permit.)

If you are a tourist, the 100% risk free approach is not to bring a drone to Thailand (but then again the 100% risk free approach to avoiding a crash is not flying your drone at all.) I certainly dont see any advantage to gaining a permit for a tourist and certain legal disadvantages in that it enshrines your use within the legal system. The permit system is there essentially for regulation of commercial operation of drones as, as far as I can tell, is the insurance system. You have to wonder out of the thousands of tourists who fly drones in Thailand every year, how many have a permit - my guess is that if you stated the number as a percentage of the total and rounded it up to the nearest whole number - that number would be zero. Of course, I cant speak for tourists who have applied and received a permit because I havent come across one.

Reactions: TomzHobbyz
Well, I will tell you my experience. I have lived in Thailand for over 20 years but have only been flying a Mavic for the past six months. I have 5 friends (1 westerner and 4 Thais) with drones (total 2x Phantom and 4x Mavic). I have gone through the airports (Suvarnabhumi, Don Muang, Phuket, Trang) at least a dozen times and have also flown in visits to China, Indonesia, Bali, Vietnam and Myanmar. In fact I came through Don Muang yesterday having been droning in Rhakine State. I have not encountered any problems. Often when travelling in Thailand I take my drone entirely in hand luggage. The X ray people have inspected it on a couple of occasions but that is about it (once they told me to take the battery out of the actual Mavic and keep it separate but that is standard procedure.) Generally speaking, (especially when travelling elsewhere in Asia) I keep my Mavic in checked luggage and my batteries in hand luggage.

Having said all that, Laws in Asia are extremely flexible (deliberately so) so you always run the potential risk going through airports that a customs official doesnt like the look of you or your Mavic and might confiscate it. I havent heard of it happening in Thailand yet but I have heard of it happening in Danang, Vietnam.

As far as permits go for Thailand. If you read the rules and the Laws you may well conclude that you shouldnt bring in a drone as a tourist. The Ministry of Transport latest regulations state that any drone with a camera needs a permit and getting a permit and using a drone (without a work permit) would be against the Labor Laws (which is a serious offense). I would hazard a guess that if you produced a drone permit to a local policeman as a foreigner he would immediately ask to see your work permit. The reality is that virtually everyone (whether tourist, western resident or local Thai) who isnt using a drone for commercial purposes doesnt have a permit and hasnt applied. Certainly I havent nor have any of my friends. I know of one westerner with a permit but he is using his drone for commercial real estate photography.

I actually looked into acquiring a permit on the basis that at some point I might do some commercial work with a drone (I already have a work permit). But it is quite a difficult procedure and drone insurance is quite a lot of hassle to get in Thailand unless you are a juristic person. (Essentially I would need to set up a company for the purpose.) I guess if you are a tourist it is possible that you already have insurance with worldwide coverage which would already qualify you there.

To the best of my knowledge you could not be prosecuted in Thailand for not having a permit as this would require an amendment to the 2015 Act. You could possibly be fined but I doubt any fine would exceed US$30 (Bt1,000). The chances are any run in with the police could get your prosecuted for breaking the Law though. If you read the article in the Bangkok Post and posted above there is a lot of talk of the need for permission to fly a drone. This refers to the existing Law that states that if you fly over private property you need permission from the property owner (it has nothing to do with the need for a permit.)

If you are a tourist, the 100% risk free approach is not to bring a drone to Thailand (but then again the 100% risk free approach to avoiding a crash is not flying your drone at all.) I certainly dont see any advantage to gaining a permit for a tourist and certain legal disadvantages in that it enshrines your use within the legal system. The permit system is there essentially for regulation of commercial operation of drones as, as far as I can tell, is the insurance system. You have to wonder out of the thousands of tourists who fly drones in Thailand every year, how many have a permit - my guess is that if you stated the number as a percentage of the total and rounded it up to the nearest whole number - that number would be zero. Of course, I cant speak for tourists who have applied and received a permit because I havent come across one.
Great reply and in line of my thinking.
Thanks !

That is a wonderful explanation and information, Thx Collins.

Yesterday an announcement was published in the Bangkok Post regarding registration of Drones and prosecution if not registered.

Was this new announcement a change to the existing law?

Is this a new law pertaining to tourist now?

wow not safe to fly drone at Thailand without permit.... the only thing is how to apply drone insurance??

wow not safe to fly drone at Thailand without permit.... the only thing is how to apply drone insurance??

The insurance seems to be the only thing with no information out there at all.
The rest of the forms for registration are available in English on the CAAT website ( https://www.caat.or.th/en/archives/27220 ).

Wonder if its worth asking DJI or one of the other big drone stores in Bangkok. If anyone knows the answer, surely they will.

The insurance seems to be the only thing with no information out there at all.
The rest of the forms for registration are available in English on the CAAT website ( Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) Regulation - The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) | สำนักงานการบินพลเรือนแห่งประเทศไทย ).

Wonder if its worth asking DJI or one of the other big drone stores in Bangkok. If anyone knows the answer, surely they will.
All the form can be found but not able to found the Insurance for Drone. Anyone got information on the drone Insurance kindly share. My location at Malaysia.

The the press article and 90 day registration limit is to register the drone with the NBTC rather than the CAAT. They are two separate regulatory authorities.

Received a response from Drone Thai Insurance today via Facebook Messenger:

/////////////////////////////////

Hi,

Please sent your request to email [email protected]

with all detail of your drone and your request for insurance and/or registration.

Your contact address are also important.!

Also due to overcrowding customer please apologize us for any delay.

You may need to sent remind email if it no response in 2 - 3 days.

Thanks

Danny 080-229-1313

////////////////////////////////

My checked Bag with my Mavic got scanned when going throw customs today at Krabi Airport.
They let me through without a Word.

And no one even looked twice on my three Mavic batteries i had in my carry on.

The the press article and 90 day registration limit is to register the drone with the NBTC rather than the CAAT. They are two separate regulatory authorities.
So need to register to NBTC or CAAT? 90day ... cannot make it already

Hi Collin,

If I want to fly drone as hobby when i go thailand for vacation by december then how?

The 90 day grace period for registration at the NBTC means you there is no need to register at the NBTC before January 2018.

It is very unclear if tourists on holiday will be able to fly after January 2018 because registration at the NBTC might be difficult for tourist visa holders.

The 90 day grace period for registration at the NBTC means you there is no need to register at the NBTC before January 2018.

It is very unclear if tourists on holiday will be able to fly after January 2018 because registration at the NBTC might be difficult for tourist visa holders.
Hi Collins,

Is that means before Jan 2018, as a tourist we no need to apply any permit from NBTC and CAAT to fly drone in Thailand.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13