DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can someone explain the micro SD in the Smart Controller to me?

ClearPropMedia

Reactions
Hey everyone,

Now, I know this may sound like the most basic thread that you have ever read, but I have some confusion about the DJI smart controller. I have never owned a smart controller, and I recently bought a Mavic 3, so I am considering getting the RC Pro.

Can somebody explain to me the purpose of having a microSD card in the controller and the drone? Does the drone footage still get recorded to the drone SD? Or does it get recorded to the smart controller? Or can you choose?

I am guessing the micro SD in the smart controller acts like a cell phone on a regular controller, and only cache videos get saved to it and the full res videos still go to the drone. But, I have seen conflicting information online that says you can record the full definition videos from the drone directly to the smart controller. That seems unrealistic considering some of the file sizes and the wireless nature. But could be wrong! Wonder if you can clarify the purpose of this controller micro SD, and how you use yours.

Thanks!

Reactions: kawartha
On most devices, the user has the option of additional storage via an SD card.

This would make it convenient to download the content from the aircraft to the device without having to take the card out of the aircraft.

Since the original Smart Controller can be bound to multiple aircrafts, it would make since to save the content of multiple flights from different aircraft to one card that could be used for future editing in a PC.

I don't own a Smart Controller and just assume that's another reason to have an extra card, if it works that way. 🤔

Some people like to screen record the flight as well for such things as telemetry etc, most of the Youtube channels who show drone footage use the telemetry screen as an overlay for the actual flight footage as well, so the SD card can write the video files directly & not fill the normal internal memory.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Regarding telemetry overlays, you might want to check the M3 camera setting for something like "subtitles on/off".
If available and switched on, telemetry is likely recorded in the video or in a separate SRT file. Displaying it during the replay is a switchable option on some video players.
That said screen recorders are GREAT but can you add them to a smart controller?

Hey everyone,

Now, I know this may sound like the most basic thread that you have ever read, but I have some confusion about the DJI smart controller. I have never owned a smart controller, and I recently bought a Mavic 3, so I am considering getting the RC Pro.

Can somebody explain to me the purpose of having a microSD card in the controller and the drone? Does the drone footage still get recorded to the drone SD? Or does it get recorded to the smart controller? Or can you choose?

I am guessing the micro SD in the smart controller acts like a cell phone on a regular controller, and only cache videos get saved to it and the full res videos still go to the drone. But, I have seen conflicting information online that says you can record the full definition videos from the drone directly to the smart controller. That seems unrealistic considering some of the file sizes and the wireless nature. But could be wrong! Wonder if you can clarify the purpose of this controller micro SD, and how you use yours.

Thanks!
Found this online and seems pretty specific.

Attachments

• MicroSD storage on Smart Controller.jpg
    MicroSD storage on Smart Controller.jpg
    661.5 KB · Views: 156
Reactions: HH-1
Hey everyone,

Thanks!

It can be used as an extension to the system memory on the RC Pro so you can install Apps to it, just like in a Android Cell phone, unlike the Smart Controller it’s easier to install 3rd party apps to the RC Pro, I tend to use APK Pure to do this as it seems to simplify the process of side loading and you don’t need a Google Account.

You can also use it to transfer files on/off the RC Pro or copy them. There is a slight bug in the native ‘Files’ App as it does not request permission to access the SD card when it sees it the first time, which means that you can not transfer files!

To get around this I side loaded another File Explorer App from APK Pure, when you access the SD card from this App it requests permission, from then on the native ‘Files’ app works as it should.

So if I have an SD card in the Air 2 and the smart controller will it record on both? I kept getting a memory error message and thought it had something to do with the memory on the smart controller not being enough to download images and video. Am I wrong?

Will adding an SD card to the smart controller fix that issue.
$29 for an SD card at Costco seems like an inexpensive fix. Thanks as always for your help and comments

Last edited:
Just a note about a problem I ran into, that may help you. There is a "Smart Controller Pro," and a "Smart Controller, "(which was released First of the two.), it is my understanding that there is enough difference to separate them. Best of luck on your question. Lots of helpful folks here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_