DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can someone please explain this craziness???

Even when you use Canon L series lenses that are thousands of dollars like I do, you find softness and darkening on the edges when shooting wide open. (f2.8 or lower) And this is a tiny camera and lens setup so I'd say you're gonna have to deal with it to some extent.

Sent from my SM-N920P using MavicPilots mobile app

I'm also a pro photographer davenphoto.com I understand what vignetting is and that wide round lenses fight flat sensors.
But this isn't uniform corner softness. This is one side sharp and the other focused and I'm thinking its more a mis-aligned lens element issue.
PS, canon L glass is hardly the barometer in sharpness wide open. Been there done that : ) I shoot Nikon and nothing holds a candle to the 14-24 at 2.8. Sharp wide open, corner to corner. Or my travel Fuji XT-2 razor sharp wide open at f1.2 See pic. at f1.2 you'll have to trust me on the corner sharpness...lol. So my question is, how many others are seeing this? if most are seeing what I'm seeing then I guess we live with it. But if other lenses are better than its time for a swap........

Attachments

• DSCF1934.jpg
    DSCF1934.jpg
    550 KB · Views: 80
I'm also a pro photographer davenphoto.com I understand what vignetting is and that wide round lenses fight flat sensors.
But this isn't uniform corner softness. This is one side sharp and the other focused and I'm thinking its more a mis-aligned lens element issue.
PS, canon L glass is hardly the barometer in sharpness wide open. Been there done that : ) I shoot Nikon and nothing holds a candle to the 14-24 at 2.8. Sharp wide open, corner to corner. Or my travel Fuji XT-2 razor sharp wide open at f1.2 See pic. at f1.2 you'll have to trust me on the corner sharpness...lol. So my question is, how many others are seeing this? if most are seeing what I'm seeing then I guess we live with it. But if other lenses are better than its time for a swap........
Like I mentioned I sent mine in for a similar issue and my new one is much better. However I have seen a thread where someone sent theirs in and the second one they got was worse, hopefully that is a rare occurrence.

However I have seen a thread where someone sent theirs in and the second one they got was worse, hopefully that is a rare occurrence.

Yep, that's me. Hope my third one will finally be ok. I wrote them a little letter this time that I put into the box when I sent it back...

Ordered 2 just to make sure. Lets hope they don't close down completely for the Chinese New year : (

Reactions: jerryflah
Ordered 2 just to make sure. Lets hope they don't close down completely for the Chinese New year : (
Are those pictures photos or video stills? Just curious. Do you plan to take more photos as a pro photographer or do you plan to shoot videos?
I'm curious because there are some differences I am sure you are aware of between taking photos and filming videos. Oftentimes that lack of focus will not be noticable in the video.
I'm not saying that you should not send it in or that your cam is fine, but still. This thing is mostly for aerial videos and it is consumer grade device, not a pro. At least in the camera department for sure. They've even dropped the Pro next to Mavic on their website :)

Reactions: Egika
Hopefully these kind of issues are the thing of the past since DJI bought out Hasselblad..

Hopefully these kind of issues are the thing of the past since DJI bought out Hasselblad..

I don't think we'll see the benefits of this until the Mavic 3 ! A camera upgrade some time would be nice though. This little bird has plenty of power to lift a little larger setup.

vsk

Agree with you on the focus. Funny, all the 'Jones' own one white and one black vehicle, except the guy next door has a grey one.

@hidaven IMO if you plan on using the Mavic as part of your business, I would possibly think about moving on to another platform. I have seen your first post with the 2 photos and I initially attributed it to be more depth of field. Not to minimize the Mavic, but it is a $1,000 device that has 2 main features 1) it flies 2) it has a camera. I would put a $700 tag on the flying feature and $300 on the camera feature. So basically its a $300 camera that flies and I wouldn't expect too much from it. I've seen many blogs/articles where professionals compare the Mavic camera to a high cell phone camera.

@hidaven IMO if you plan on using the Mavic as part of your business, I would possibly think about moving on to another platform. I have seen your first post with the 2 photos and I initially attributed it to be more depth of field. Not to minimize the Mavic, but it is a $1,000 device that has 2 main features 1) it flies 2) it has a camera. I would put a $700 tag on the flying feature and $300 on the camera feature. So basically its a $300 camera that flies and I wouldn't expect too much from it. I've seen many blogs/articles where professionals compare the Mavic camera to a high cell phone camera.
YEA but even cell phones have a zoom feature

It is as digital as your post production is after shooting in 4K. Sometimes worse. Yaw, roll, pitch, camera angle, VLOS, GPS, battery level. Right, add zoom to that list of things to think about :)

If you want a zoom lens on a drone, consider that it would necessarily be heavier, bigger, and slower (meaning: not as wide an aperture). Also, most zoom lenses aren't as sharp as comparable primes. So you would end up with a lens that transmits less light and requiring a stronger gimbal. To keep the same flight duration, the battery would have to be much larger to compensate for the added weight of lens and gimbal, and the entire drone wouldn't be as compact.

There is no free lunch, I'm afraid.

And even if the weight budget of the camera/gimbal assembly were larger, I'd prefer a larger sensor.

Reactions: jerryflah
Thanks for all the input. My question though still stands, are you seeing what I'm seeing with your own mavics? That's the question I need answered. If you are all saying that your stills are similar where parts of the image can be out of focus on the same plane, then it is what it is. If your stills are sharper across the frame then back it goes. I know some of you exchanged, do your stills look better than mine? And to answer the questions. Yes the video seems a bit cleaner than still shots, Yes I need to do both still and video when I travel, Yes I also own the Phantom 4 Pro plus for better across the board images at home, Yes my wife aggravate me about these purchases.....lol

Reactions: leesmavic
In short...my images seem similar to your's, thought the only time I actually scrutinized them was to ensure I did not have the "gelling" issue.

If your stills are sharper across the frame then back it goes. I know some of you exchanged, do your stills look better than mine?

Send it back. I did, for the same reason, and got a worse one. Sent that back too. Waiting for the third.

Reactions: hidaven
If you want a zoom lens on a drone, consider that it would necessarily be heavier, bigger, and slower (meaning: not as wide an aperture). Also, most zoom lenses aren't as sharp as comparable primes. So you would end up with a lens that transmits less light and requiring a stronger gimbal. To keep the same flight duration, the battery would have to be much larger to compensate for the added weight of lens and gimbal, and the entire drone wouldn't be as compact.

There is no free lunch, I'm afraid.

And even if the weight budget of the camera/gimbal assembly were larger, I'd prefer a larger sensor.
Well said

Reactions: hidaven
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez