DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can someone recommend a LUT for this type of D-log night city video?

BrooklynFlyer

Reactions

Sorry video is long. I am no editor.

I think it has a certain appeal in D-log, but I'm sure there is lots that can be done (I mean very easily via LUTs, never mind real editing for now).

I have a few LUTs, but it is hard to know how best to apply them.

What were your camera settings? The colors look pretty good but you're getting a lot of noise in the dark spots. What editor are you using/planning to use? You may want to check out Neat Video which is a noise reduction filter that supports LUT plug-ins if you want to mess with the color. It runs on a number of editors.

Reactions: vertrider
Well I shot it in D-log with the idea of using Davinci, which I barely know how to use.
I am also thinking about Premiere but I don't know how much I time I want to devote to learning.

I've had the drone for a year, first one, now that I have some footage, I have to decide what to do with it.

Here is a night video of mine with "normal" settings, but straight out of camera

Yeah, the QM 2 vid has completely different lighting - no back scatter off the clouds and water. That darkness saved the shot.

I agree with you on Premiere. The learning curve is a vertical wall. I use Vegas Studio and am pretty happy with it. I'm going to upgrade to Pro at some point as it supports some of the other things I want to do. I'm also going to take a look at Corel Video Studio which has gotten some good reviews. Not sure it has the plug-in and noise reduction packs that are available for some of the more premium products. I use Corel Photo Studio for stills and am really happy with it. Much more intuitive than Adobe.

You are going to have to film in +1 sharpness to prevent blurry dark areas. This will also add some noise which you can clean up in edit. 2.7k 25P is also recommended as it deals with compression artifacts a lot better than 4K 30P. Just watch the tutorial below to get an idea of how to clean up your footage and grade it. In saying that for the LUTs you can use pretty much use any of the SpectrumGrades packs which are all great [emoji108]