DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can the Contrast:saturation /sharpness be adjusted in Fly app?

jephoto

Reactions
Similar to settings in DJI Go?
Since there are only Normal or D-Log color profiles, is it possible to turn down the sharpness and contrast and saturation in the normal mode when shooting on contrasty days?
Quite often for my jobs turning files over to people who don’t want to do any color grading and it would take too much time for me to do that. I would just like to turn down the contrast and saturation down a bit on the normal profile to get more shadow detail.

Last edited:
No one has an answer for this?
I’m coming from several years of flying phantoms. And I’ve always had the DJI Go/4 app.
So I haven’t had a chance to explore the fly app yet as I don’t have my Mavic three yet. Soon to be rectified. But I would like to know if we can make any adjustments to the normal mode if I did not want to use D-Log but still wanted to reduce contrast and saturation.

You can try adjusting exposure compensation in Normal mode. It will help. Slight overexposure will tend to reduce contrast and saturation, just as slight underexposure tends to increase contrast and saturation. Best done in post, though.

Not what Im talking about. Exposure is definitely not the same as Contrast/Saturation & Sharpness settings.
In Go 4 app you can independently adjust those three settings for any of the Color modes. I usually had mine set at -1 on all three, or even -2 on Contrast.
You can always bring it back, hard to get rid of after you film.

Not what Im talking about. Exposure is definitely not the same as Contrast/Saturation & Sharpness settings.
In Go 4 app you can independently adjust those three settings for any of the Color modes. I usually had mine set at -1 on all three, or even -2 on Contrast.
You can always bring it back, hard to get rid of after you film.
I never said it was.
You asked, "But I would like to know if we can make any adjustments to the normal mode?" I offered the only possible solution, if you don't want to adjust contrast and saturation in post. It will help, but you should be doing it in post, as I stated.

I think you misunderstood what I was asking. I don’t want to have video/stills to use straight from camera. I want to reduce the contrast and saturation a bit as I shoot to give me more latitude that can be brought back to taste in post. - with light going all the way to D-Log which might be more work than my client want or are able to deal with.

With my Phantoms I always shot in D-Cinelike - but that’s not available on the M3

Last edited:
I think you misunderstood what I was asking. I don’t want to have video/stills to use straight from camera. I want to reduce the contrast and saturation a bit as I shoot to give me more latitude that can be brought back to taste in post. - with light going all the way to D-Log which might be more work than my client want or are able to deal with.

With my Phantoms I always shot in D-Cinelike - but that’s not available on the M3
In that case, just shoot in D-Log, and adjust as needed, before giving your client the files. You originally stated you didn't want to do any post work yourself.

What you need to understand GG is I have several clients where the jobs are NOT much money per shoot, and they may not want to deal with processing. And its not worth the time for me to shoot in Log, edit, adjust 20 clips and have my laptop take several hours to render them out to something the client can use easily.
For my own stuff or a higher budget job, sure, that's the way to go.
But for now I still have the question:
-CAN we make any adjustments to the normal mode for Contrast/Sat/Sharpness like we could with Go4? Or not?

UPDATE: I finally had a chance to go through all the settings. Well, not sure if I got them all. The RC Pro is way way different than the P4P and Go4. I am fumbling through getting what I need set. But it indeed does not appear to have any adjustment settings to the Normal color mode. Unortunate.
But I know there is way more attitude in the M3 files. So it should be fine...

Last edited:
What you need to understand GG is I have several clients where the jobs are NOT much money per shoot, and they may not want to deal with processing. And its not worth the time for me to shoot in Log, edit, adjust 20 clips and have my laptop take several hours to render them out to something the client can use easily.
For my own stuff or a higher budget job, sure, that's the way to go.
But for now I still have the question:
-CAN we make any adjustments to the normal mode for Contrast/Sat/Sharpness like we could with Go4? Or not?

UPDATE: I finally had a chance to go through all the settings. Well, not sure if I got them all. The RC Pro is way way different than the P4P and Go4. I am fumbling through getting what I need set. But it indeed does not appear to have any adjustment settings to the Normal color mode. Unortunate.
But I know there is way more attitude in the M3 files. So it should be fine...
There is a full tutorial on all the settings in the Fly app for the Mavic 3 starting on page 56 of the November 2, 2022 update to the User Manual. .

If it can be done, it's in there, but the Fly app is unfortunately definitely not as user friendly as GO 4. If you need that capability for those "cheap" clients, I would stick to GO 4 and your P4P or Mavic 2 Pro just for them, and save the Mavic 3 and its greater latitude for those clients that appreciate your true value, and are willing to pay for the difference in quality.

I assume you meant latitude, not attitude. ;-)

Actually I think the M3 files have way more Attitude too…😏
Hope you enjoy the M3 as much as I do, in spite of the limitations of the Fly app.
The RC Pro is the RC that was specifically designed for the M3. Good choice! No compromises there! If the screen size is too small for you, you can hook up a FeelWorld 10” 2000 nit monitor through the mini HDMI port, or a set of Moverio BT-40 glasses to the USB-C charging port!

Well I hope these things will be added to the M3 /Fly app with future firmware updates. Seems crazy to me to have a drone with the level of caps y the M3 3 has and hamstring it with amateur software.
I also want more resolution choices. 4K or 1080p with nothing in between?

I am really liking the RC Pro though. I just have to get used to where everything is. After flying phantoms since 2014 I know what moves to make without having to think about them when I had to react quickly.

Well I hope these things will be added to the M3 /Fly app with future firmware updates. Seems crazy to me to have a drone with the level of caps y the M3 3 has and hamstring it with amateur software.

I am really liking the RC Pro though. I just have to get used to where everything is. After flying phantoms since 2014 I know what moves to make without having to think about them when I had to react quickly.
Yep i ask DJI multiple times to add 2.7K resolution to the FW. They said twice that they will send it to tech team, so far nothing in Fw.

Given that the Fly app appears to be the one DJI intends to move forward with, they are slowly filling in the holes in it, and embellishing it. It's still missing lots of GO 4 features. Even more crazy was shipping the Mavic 3 with the junky, entry level RC- N1 remote to save money, and shave $1000 off the price, over including the RC Pro that was designed for the Mavic 3, in the non-Cine package, that should have been sold for $3200, instead of only $2200.

RC Pro is a joy to use. Lots of customizability in a very small package, compared to the P4P+ remote, with a larger, brighter screen. The stick controls are unchanged from the Phantoms, but their sensitivity and response curves are different, but completely tunable to your liking in the settings.

Given that the Fly app appears to be the one DJI intends to move forward with, they are slowly filling in the holes in it, and embellishing it. It's still missing lots of GO 4 features. Even more crazy was shipping the Mavic 3 with the junky, entry level RC- N1 remote to save money, and shave $1000 off the price, over including the RC Pro that was designed for the Mavic 3, in the non-Cine package, that should have been sold for $3200, instead of only $2200.

RC Pro is a joy to use. Lots of customizability in a very small package, compared to the P4P+ remote, with a larger, brighter screen. The stick controls are unchanged from the Phantoms, but their sensitivity and response curves are different, but completely tunable to your liking in the settings.
Yup. Agreed in all parts.
Just did my first job with these items. And just my 3rd time out with them. I’m overjoyed at how smooth the movements, pans, manual POI’s are. In 4 years with my P4P I couldn’t do a decent manual poi to save my life.

Reactions: GadgetGuy and KS-6
I flew a job today in that I had to mimic the view a cyclist or sightseeing motorist would see looking off to the left towards a ski area as it related to a proposed home site’s story poles. It was blowing a steady 8-12mph crosswind with the drone out in front of me at my at eye level at about 3-4‘ feet away pointing off to the left at my 10 o‘clock. I did this walking a brisk pace for a 1/4 mile up and down a hill that curved to the left.

Being able to really dial back the speed in Cine mode allowed me to get it done in one battery and maintain a pretty tight tolerance on AGL, heading, speed and position on the shoulder of the roadway. It was some goofy flying for sure but the M3 handled it great.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I flew a job today in that I had to mimic the view a cyclist or sightseeing motorist would see looking off to the left towards a ski area as it related to a proposed home site’s story poles. It was blowing a steady 8-12mph crosswind with the drone out in front of me at my at eye level at about 3-4‘ feet away pointing off to the left at my 10 o‘clock. I did this walking a brisk pace for a 1/4 mile up and down a hill that curved to the left.

Being able to really dial back the speed in Cine mode allowed me to get it done in one battery and maintain a pretty tight tolerance on AGL, heading, speed and position on the shoulder of the roadway. It was some goofy flying for sure but the M3 handled it great.
The Cruise mode would certainly come in handy for that, if you can set it to your walking pace, and then just adjust to the necessary simulated speed in post.

Reactions: KS-6
The Cruise mode would certainly come in handy for that, if you can set it to your walking pace, and then just adjust to the necessary simulated speed in post.
I tried that a few times on a scouting day but found I did a lot better fully manual.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian