DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can the usb port

Sprocket

Reactions
on the bottom of the controller be used for something else at the same time the micro usb port is in use?
Here's what I've got:
MPP controller driven by a dedicated Iphone 8 with no cellular. (no sim card)
Iphone 7 in my pocket. It has cellular service.
HP laptop running Win 10. Doesn't have bluetooth, but I can order a bluetooth dongle.
All I want to do is cast my Iphone 8 screen running DJI Go4 to my laptop.
I don't want to purchase a third party program to do this. It seems to me there should be a way to do it with either my hotspot on my Iphone 7 or thru bluetooth or using the bottom USB on the controller to a USB port on my laptop.
I have searched this forum and Googled everything I can think of. All I get is "sure you just need to download this free app, no problem." That turns out to be nothing but ads, free for 7 days and then only $29.99 renewal fee.
I am a firm believer that if I can think of something then someone else has already done it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I am pretty sure you cant use both USB ports on the rc at once. I cant even use the bottom port if an empty cord is in the side. I think Apple TV is the easiest option.

Reactions: Rnl
You can only use one port at a time, even if one is being used for power only (I've tried). Also, for the micro USB, you can't even have the wire plugged in, with the other end not plugged in to anything, if you want to use the standard USB port. There must be a micro-switch in the micro USB port that senses when something is plugged in, and disconnects the standard USB in that case.

This can easily be done with a Samsung phone that has Smart View and a laptop running Windows 10. Not sure about IPhone though.

This can easily be done with a Samsung phone that has Smart View and a laptop running Windows 10. Not sure about IPhone though.
Whether or not the port is active when the mini port has something plugged into it is not a function of the phone. When I first got my MP, I thought the controller was defective and called Mavic support. They were the ones that told me about this. I have both a Samsung and an iPhone (I switched a while back). I've tested both, and confirmed that to use the USB port in the center bottom of the controller, you can't have a cable plugged into the port at the left.

You can only use one port at a time, even if one is being used for power only (I've tried).
That is incorrect, you can supply power to the remote via the side port while using a mobile device on the bottom one. Many people doing it.

It's if an OTG cable is plugged into the side port that the bottom one is disabled (on MP remote).

I have searched this forum and Googled everything I can think of. All I get is "sure you just need to download this free app, no problem." That turns out to be nothing but ads, free for 7 days and then only $29.99 renewal fee.
Since you're mixing iOS and Windows you have to deal with each one's ways... i.e. you will need Airplay receiver software for your PC. This should work. Screen mirror Android, iOS & Chrome OS to a bigger screen | Reflector 3

Wit an android phone you could mirror straight to Windows 10's built-in receiver.

Last edited:
That is incorrect, you can supply power to the remote via the side port while using a mobile device on the bottom one. Many people doing it.

It's if an OTG cable is plugged into the side port that the bottom one is disabled (on MP remote).

OK - that makes more sense. Thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks for the clarification. The one thing I have NOT tried is having the console on external power while using it. I'm going to try that this weekend.

Since you're mixing iOS and Windows you have to deal with each one's ways... i.e. you will need Airplay receiver software for your PC. This should work. Screen mirror Android, iOS & Chrome OS to a bigger screen | Reflector 3

Wit an android phone you could mirror straight to Windows 10's built-in receiver.

That would most certainly be the cats meow except for eating up a lot of data on my cellular plan. Having that much more wireless going close to my controller may or may not be a problem.
I was thinking that it would really be nice if I could use some of the Occusync waves that are being transmitted by the drone. Most of it is just going right on by and not being used anyway. Of course it would take some kind of receiver attached to my laptop. Just a thought. Thanks

That would most certainly be the cats meow except for eating up a lot of data on my cellular plan.
Huh? No, you set up a wireless network between your phone and PC, no need for mobile data.

I was thinking that it would really be nice if I could use some of the Occusync waves that are being transmitted by the drone
Yep, but unless DJI decided to sell a receiving device to do that there's no chance of it happening anytime soon.

Huh? No, you set up a wireless network between your phone and PC, no need for mobile data.

Yep, but unless DJI decided to sell a receiving device to do that there's no chance of it happening anytime soon.

I downloaded the 7 day trial. The only way I can make it work is if I have an internet connection. It works perfectly as long as I am on my home wireless network. When I connect my laptop to my personal hotspot on my iphone instantly Reflector quits. Reflector won't work using my hotspot. Unless I am doing something wrong it is the perfect program only it won't work. Thanks anyway.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gerardomavic