DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can you carry something hanging from your drone for commercial use

Vegasdad

Reactions
I saw a fire Dept that had a ghost for halloween hanging from the bottom. Is that legal?

I saw a fire Dept that had a ghost for halloween hanging from the bottom. Is that legal?

Its the same as when you would tie a rescue tool to the drone , not illegal.
Causing people to panic well that can be a violation called disturbing the peace. ;)

Its the same as when you would tie a rescue tool to the drone , not illegal.
Causing people to panic well that can be a violation called disturbing the peace. ;)
Its legal to drop a rescue tool such as a life preserver - it just can’t contain hazardous materials.

I believe you cannot transport material across state lines commercially as well, meaning carry an item from one state and leave it in another. I remember that from the 107 preparation and thinking it was really odd. I guess you could get a waiver for that? Maybe not.

Last edited:
Can't they fly the quad under hobbyist rules? They're not flying it for business, just entertainment.

I believe you cannot transport material across state lines with a drone as well commercially as well, meaning carry an item from one state and leave it in another. I remember that from the 107 preparation and thinking it was really odd. I guess you could get a waiver for that? Maybe not.

I think that was actually one of the unwaiveable restrictions.

Can't they fly the quad under hobbyist rules? They're not flying it for business, just entertainment.

Negative. A Department can't fly the department sUAS under Hobby/Recreational rules.

Now a fireman, not on shift, can fly a private sUAS for Hobby/Recreational use and then would then fly under Hobby/Recreational (aka Authorization for limited recreational operations as described in section 44809 ) rules.

Keep in mind that a Fire Dept (or any Public Safety Entity) can also be flying under a COA which could have a whole different set of rules & regulations well outside of Hobby or Part 107. While a COA could be less restrictive than Part 107 (flights over people, BVLOS etc) it's also more restrictive because it tells you exactly what you can and can NOT do under the COA. For instance a COA does not allow for things like Capturing Data for Social Media/Website type of actions. You'd want to fly under Part 107 regulations for that particular flight unless it's built into the COA from the beginning.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78