DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't fly over people???

It's almost like some people are trying to justify a reason to fly over people. The OP asked how many feet...10', 30'? I just look at it as if my quad goes down and hits someone I'm responsible for my actions. I've posted this before recently in a similar thread that the rules are more about how the RC community has conducted itself in the past. That is why the FAA prior to a couple of years ago only suggested following AMA rules. Now it's not a suggestion, it's a set of rules but the distance isn't stated in black and white. At times a RC pilot might have their aircraft fly over people...oops. If you hit someone that is a different issue. And if I'm are flying over or close to people and they complain, I'd just go find a different place to fly. I'm not gonna stand there and argue with some idiot who is claiming I'm flying over them even if I know I'm not. I fly my fixed wing planes closely overhead to people all the time, and sometimes I might be a few hundred feet in the air or within 20 feet in front of other pilot flying as I land. While in the air I might be directly over over the runway, yet to a spectator 50 feet behind me, it looks like the plane is over their head. Even if RID is put in place it's not going to show that an aircraft is close to or over people but if a bunch of people say you're over them and they feel threatened in some way or another I'd think it would be more of a he said she said incident if nobody or nothing was hurt. I'd be more worried about how an uneducated law enforcement officer would handle the situation. But if you do any sort of damage you are liable. Minimizing risk should be taken into account every time you fly. I'm not 107, but I'd think most properly educated 107 pilots take that into account when preforming a mission and do their best not to get themselves in situation where they might be sued.

Does anybody know of an incident where (within the past couple of years) the FAA took action against someone flying close too but not directly over the public and the aircraft didn't damage anything or anybody? Just curious.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d