DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't fly over people???

In the UK at least if you are 150m or more from a built up area and / or 150m away from any crowd (both undefined) then you can overfly isolate people or buildings at a minimum altitude of 50m.

In the UK at least if you are 150m or more from a built up area and / or 150m away from any crowd (both undefined) then you can overfly isolate people or buildings at a minimum altitude of 50m.
Could be getting hold of the wrong end of the stick but doesn’t it say all that, but state a crowd or people not under your direct control, meaning if it’s you and your friends who are all aware of what’s going on then you may fly within these limits?

Could be getting hold of the wrong end of the stick but doesn’t it say all that, but state a crowd or people not under your direct control, meaning if it’s you and your friends who are all aware of what’s going on then you may fly within these limits?

Yes it does Peter. Did think if it at the time and then forgot to put it. Allows for wedding photographers and event togs to get various shots.

Still doesn’t say how many people per m2 constitutes a crowd though so there’s an element of leeway for common sense flying.

Yes it does Peter. Did think if it at the time and then forgot to put it. Allows for wedding photographers and event togs to get various shots.

Still doesn’t say how many people per m2 constitutes a crowd though so there’s an element of leeway for common sense flying.
Thanks. Was starting to think I was having a “Senior moment “ (all too many these days allas!). It’s a shame these days that common sense is becoming less common. Take care and catch you later.

If I am at a beach or my neighborhood, flying over people means on top of them? Is it ok if my drone is at a 45 degree angle?

If I am at a beach or my neighborhood, flying over people means on top of them? Is it ok if my drone is at a 45 degree angle?

Yes, it means directly overhead. If your 45-degree angle positions the drone outside the specified minimum horizontal distance then you're OK.

I admit that I am a vocal advocate of all drone pilots strictly following the rules but I have to say that it's difficult to understand how flying (not hovering) at 400 feet over an isolated couple of people walking on the beach would pose a viable risk.

But in any case, the regulation stands and the airspace regulators would argue that a fault which causes a drone's motors to stop means that it becomes a brick and will plunge vertically - not like a fixed-wing aircraft that can follow a glide path when the motor fails.

Yes, it means directly overhead. If your 45-degree angle positions the drone outside the specified minimum horizontal distance then you're OK.

I admit that I am a vocal advocate of all drone pilots strictly following the rules but I have to say that it's difficult to understand how flying (not hovering) at 400 feet over an isolated couple of people walking on the beach would pose a viable risk.

But in any case, the regulation stands and the airspace regulators would argue that a fault which causes a drone's motors to stop means that it becomes a brick and will plunge vertically - not like a fixed-wing aircraft that can follow a glide path when the motor fails.
Thanks Pete and how many feet up?

The maximum allowed altitude above ground is 400 feet. There is no mention of altitude (when flying over people) in the regulations - you simply cannot fly over people regardless of altitude.
What I mean is I can fly over pp at 45 angle and be at 50 feet high?

The maximum allowed altitude above ground is 400 feet. There is no mention of altitude (when flying over people) in the regulations - you simply cannot fly over people regardless of altitude.
i am glad i dont live in oz every time i fly in my local park not far from my home and yes we have permission to fly there at some point i am and will be flying over people as they walk there dogs or just taking in the sites if i was unable to fly over people i would never get to fly any where much as there are always going to be people who just wander up to see the drone flying and ask me about it i ask them politely to let me land and then i will talk to them

What I mean is I can fly over pp at 45 angle and be at 50 feet high?

Yes, so long as you are outside the minimum allowed distance. If, as in Australia, that distance is 30 metres then you could be flying at any altitude (at or below 400 feet) so long as the drone is at least 30 metres horizontally away from people.

Yes, so long as you are outside the minimum allowed distance. If, as in Australia, that distance is 30 metres then you could be flying at any altitude (at or below 400 feet) so long as the drone is at least 30 metres horizontally away from people.
yes i do fly at around 150to200 ft up and iknow the rules about landing and take off i also wear a high vis vest when i fly so people can see me better i probably misunderstood your statment cannot fly over people sorry

In the UK.
– ANO article 138 (Endangerment – “A person must not recklessly or negligently cause or permit an aircraft to endanger any person or property”) is the overriding article that can be used at any time if it is considered that a person is operating a drone (which is still defined as an aircraft) inappropriately.

– You can also refer to ANO article 166(2) “The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft may only fly the aircraft if reasonably satisfied that the flight can safely be made” as well in that he/she is responsible and must take reasonable steps to ensure the flight is conducted safely.

So, in the case of someone hovering a drone ‘51m’ directly above/almost above someone, yes – it is ok with regard to art 167, but this could easily fall under endangerment, especially if the person flying it has not taken any reasonable steps to satisfy him/herself that the flight can be conducted safely.

In Oz, you have a 30m radius where you cant fly over people or buildings that might have someone inside just in case they walk out of the building. Think of it as a 60m wide cylinder below the drone and its easy.

If someone walks out of the bush, then you must move away asap. simple

The obvious reason is so that if/when the drone fails, it doesn’t fall and injure them. Obviously the higher you are the harder it will hit the person on the deck.

We tend to follow rules here and where there are no rules, we use common sense. That’s why we have less restrictions that the US I suppose

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM