DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Capturing a shot at 400m directly overhead

Meta4 thank you the reply. The climb rate is actually pretty amazing. A typical single engine Cessna or Piper you are looking at +/- 500' per minute for a cruise climb.
Sorry ... I should have converted to fpm
4 m/s = 787 fpm

The air 2S is faster at 6 m/s = 1181 fpm !

Last edited:
Meta4 thank you the reply. The climb rate is actually pretty amazing. A typical single engine Cessna or Piper you are looking at +/- 500' per minute for a cruise climb. For many reasons it is not a constant. Drones are amazing little aircraft. Learning more everyday. Thanks again.
These drones are light, and have good power-to-weight ratio. The climb rate is actually firmware limited, not power limited, which is why they can continue that rate even as density altitude goes up simply by increasing motor speed. To achieve the same result in a fixed wing aircraft would require higher airspeed in the climb, and that is power limited.

I'm suprised someone can get permisio to clim above 400ft
Why was explained in post #5.
Yeah, the best signal possible is to point the rc at the drone as described in post 5. I also have many friends who have simply gone up to max altitude without losing signal, regardless of rc positioning. For this reason: "due to lack of obstructions and reduced radio interference from that on the ground". Anyway, I'm surprised he's got or going to get permission for the maneuver. I think it's a hard waiver to get, but with the caveat of not moving away from the take off point I suppose it's safer and thus permission was given.

That
Sorry ... I should have converted to fpm
4 m/s = 787 fps

The air 2S is faster at 6 m/s = 1181 fps !
That's funny, when I relate it to how fast many Air Guns can shoot a pellet or BB. I think their max is like 1600 ft per sec, but most are actually around 1200 fps. It interesting to think the drone can fly as fast a pellet guns ordinance.

That

That's funny, when I relate it to how fast many Air Guns can shoot a pellet or BB. I think their max is like 1600 ft per sec, but most are actually around 1200 fps. It interesting to think the drone can fly as fast a pellet guns ordinance.
That's a typo, of course. 6 m/s is 1181 ft/minute, not ft/second. It's 20 ft/second.

I use an app called "Flightradar24" to see what is flying in my area. Since helicopters and seaplanes may be in the area, you would be able to know this before you take your M2P to altitude. Nothing substitutes for a good eye and a good ear, but make use of every tool available if you are going that high.

Reactions: NG Wildman
I use an app called "Flightradar24" to see what is flying in my area. Since helicopters and seaplanes may be in the area, you would be able to know this before you take your M2P to altitude. Nothing substitutes for a good eye and a good ear, but make use of every tool available if you are going that high.
Good Advice

You mentioned only needing 1 picture but suggest getting a bunch of exposures while up there. Plan for the shadows too. Would be interesting to see a copy of the end product when able. Good luck to ya.

Client wants one single shot at 400 meters. Drone is Mavic 2 Pro.

I have spoken with the local authorities on obtaining a permit for a flight that is 400 meters.

They are fine with the height but I will not be able to move from the take off site. It will be straight up to capture it.

Is anything I should do to maintain a signal with the drone directly overhead at 400 meters?

I would appreciate it if anyone has any advice or comments on this so I can avoid complications or disaster during this commercial activity.

Thanks for any help!
I've had my M2P up 500 meters AGL no problem. I don't recall exactly the signal strength, but it was fine, and I was not attempting to position the antennae in any way. I believe I was sitting, so they were likely mostly horizontal (perpendicular to bird) .

I would not worry the M2P having any issue with it. For certain though, have your head on a swivel for local manned aircraft.

You should be prepared to be disappointed or surprised as Flightradar 24 can only show you the planes that have ADS-B out active.
Many planes don't, particularly the light planes that you are most likely to be sharing airspace with.

You should be prepared to be disappointed or surprised as Flightradar 24 can only show you the planes that have ADS-B out active.
Many planes don't, particularly the light planes that you are most likely to be sharing airspace with.
FR24 does have a couple of additional data sources - they get aggregated North American radar data and MLAT.

It’s possible actually. I’m a commercial drone pilot here in Singapore too, and the majority of my shots are done with a permit to climb up to 1,000 ft. Occasionally up to 1,500 ft too.

Don't forget to check the winds up there. Birds will circle above a thermal or updraft from buildings. Either that or somethings dead.

This brings up a side somewhat related question not directly related to the OPs original concerns/questions. Having been a long time manned aircraft pilot I have had the use of Vertical Velocity Indicators both old fashioned and digital. It indicates that I am climbing at say 500' per minute etc. What rate of climb does say a Mavic Air 2 or comparable have and is it relatively constant as you gain altitude. Not shifting the conversation but a legitimate curiosity question related to a long climb. It also plays into how much time/battery use in the time to climb and descent.
Nice idea! On my Garmin Fenix 5X Plus it shows descent/ascent as well when running uphill or downhill. Perhaps i have to connect my garmin to my DJI to register or test this. +je

Attachments

• 79D8044C-1CE4-4460-9F2B-491327F54428.png
    79D8044C-1CE4-4460-9F2B-491327F54428.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 5

Yeah, the best signal possible is to point the rc at the drone as described in post 5. I also have many friends who have simply gone up to max altitude without losing signal, regardless of rc positioning. For this reason: "due to lack of obstructions and reduced radio interference from that on the ground". Anyway, I'm surprised he's got or going to get permission for the maneuver. I think it's a hard waiver to get, but with the caveat of not moving away from the take off point I suppose it's safer and thus permission was given.
Depends on location and lots of other reasons. We seem to be specialized in thinking a general rule can cover everything in security. I will just give you a picture where i tested weather conditions and humidity. Above the mountain are incredible dangerous wind speeds. That is why in a big city like Sofia one
of our studies about microclimates contained... more than 1000 pages. Within Sofia (one of the highest capitals of Europe) there are huge differences in wind, humidity, temperature and condensation. And where i live we can have in two days temperatures from minus 25 to plus 17. And my DJI’s work in all these conditions and altitudes from 0 to >3000 m.

Even real air pilots have to watch the temperature of the kerosine in their planes before landing... i am member of Mentour Pilot as well, perhaps drone pilots can watch here how engines can fail (or even freeze or burn down opposite in bad weather).
+je

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hippysmavic