DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CE Version of Mavic Mini. Big disadvantages in UK and EU.

Yup so select manual channel, choose a channel by tapping a channel signal bar. A message will pop up saying it needs to restart, click okay or whatever and a few seconds later you'll be on the new channel.

Reactions: WooZie
I read it was only a dismissible warning when FCC is flown in CE rather than power reduction.
Seems there is a lot of miss information.

Hhhmmm... this has been answered a few times in this thread already, (starting at about post #102) and further on there's a link to DJI's own forums where one of their mods lays it out pretty clearly. Several times.
But, certainly up for the idea of you spending your money to test this out ;)
Let us know here on the forums if it works out.Thumbswayup

In all seriousness, what was the conflicting information you saw and what was the source?
If its the dismissable warning - that refers to the warning you might recieve using your FCC drone's 5.8Ghz in a territory where 5.8Ghz is not approved (some parts of EU for example).
You can dismiss the warning, but - and this is key - you will still be operating at reduced power 5.8Ghz.

Last edited:
Reactions: Badgerman26
And I got glitchy at 750m on 5.8ghz yet had full signal and zero issues pushing out further than 800m on 2.4ghz

Hhhmmm... this has been answered a few times in this thread already, (starting at about post #102) and further on there's a link to DJI's own forums where one of their mods lays it out pretty clearly. Several times.

In all seriousness, what was the conflicting information you saw and what was the source?
If its the dismissable warning - that refers to the warning you might recieve using your FCC drone's 5.8Ghz in a territory where 5.8Ghz is not approved (some parts of EU for example).
You can dismiss the warning, but - and this is key - you will still be operating at reduced power 5.8Ghz.
Thanks. Seems DJI Mindy is the source of the power reduction in CE. I will just get a CE version then if this is confirmed. Thanks

Reactions: MavicNovice
And I got glitchy at 750m on 5.8ghz yet had full signal and zero issues pushing out further than 800m on 2.4ghz

Did you switch of WiFi from your phone while flying? Guess even if the phone is not using WiFi while flying, it may cause some interference?

No I do not. When a phone isn't actively connected to a network it will only scan most of the time and broadcast very very little. I did have to make sure I was a good distance away from my house though as I can often receive my wifi at distances of 100m due to the fact I've got a high power access point in my attic covering a larger area of my street incase I'm out washing the car or cutting the lawns.

I have found if I'm a bit closer my phone will try its hardest to stay connected but that's only possible on 2.4ghz so the phone would have had very little impact to the drone on 5.8ghz.

Hi more confusion as this from DJI support.

Attachments

• C371E388-6878-47EC-A77E-C16265821F12.png
    C371E388-6878-47EC-A77E-C16265821F12.png
    364.8 KB · Views: 107
  • BF62C8B6-001F-4ACE-A278-EAB61084343B.png
    BF62C8B6-001F-4ACE-A278-EAB61084343B.png
    338.9 KB · Views: 104
My first post on this forum. I currently own a P3S, and use it purely as a hobby drone. Given the limitation of what is now quite an old model; range has always been an issue in all but the most deserted of locations.
The Mavic mini appeals from its ease of use and obviously the size when compared to a Phantom!
I read through all eight pages, and am still left a little confused in that some say in the UK it will be limited to 500m and others claim a far better range.
Can anyone give a definitive answer for someone like me who is an occasional user and not a total enthusiast as to the range it will be capable of. Also does anyone know if the App can display in imperial I/O metric?
Thanks in advance...

Even though I am still waiting for mine to be delivered I dare claiming that the range is way enough for flying within the legal limits (VLOS) ;)
Something between 500-800m should be possible without problems - and beyond that you'll hardly be able o see the drone at all.
Antenna alignment and height seem to be the biggest troublemakers when it comes to range: antennas must be parallel to each other and must never point at the copter but always face it with the flat side (see quickstart manual page 3) - and more height naturally gives better connection (but also more wind, so be careful)

And IIRC the app is capable of showing ft and mph instead of m and m/s (there's plenty of footage on YT from all over the world); that might be dependent on your phone's settings, I haven't found any explicit option in the app itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: TDZHDTV
I've just had mine out to 1000m and it kept on coming home. I realised that I was too close to my neighbourhood as I was still on my home wifi at one point!
It was just too chilly to go further into the fields to check. At least I've got a decent baseline for distance on 2.4ghz.

Hello, in the case of leaving Europe with an CE version drone to an FCC location, would you change from CE to Fcc? Or would it remain with the limitations of the CE?

Google translate, sorry

You would remain on CE version as it wouldn't automatically swap to FCC version.
Currently whilst there is talk of a mod to enable FCC mode there is no real proof as I've tried the steps and got an error.

Reactions: Vicedore
Thank you very much for answering, the error is because the GPS says that you are in Europe, but, if you really are out of Europe would not give that error?
You would remain on CE version as it wouldn't automatically swap to FCC version.
Currently whilst there is talk of a mod to enable FCC mode there is no real proof as I've tried the steps and got an error.

The CE version can be used all over the world, why should it give an error outside of Europe?

Only the FCC version must be throttled down in Europe to comply with the law.

Yes, I know it will fly, but I don't know if it will change to FCC when it goes to a place outside Europe, or it will keep the power of the CE.

Well that's it pretty much decided. The extra range on 5.8ghz is okay but it's still nothing compared to what is easily doable on 2.4ghz with the CE version in Europe.
I've checked my logs and can see that I've hit 935m on 5.8ghz and 1658m on 2.4ghz. I'd be kicking myself if all I could get was 1000m on 5.8ghz with a USA import that wont have all the normal UK guarantees etc.

I want to see if I can get it out to 2000m but at the same time I don't see any real need to push it again. I reckon my next range test will be when I buy some parabolic reflectors for the remote.

when it goes to a place outside Europe, or it will keep the power of the CE.
I am willing to take a bet that it will keep at CE power level wherever you go, regardless of the frequency used.

I'd even claim that CE power is enough for safe VLOS in any case (at least where flying is legal). Definition of VLOS is pretty unambigous IMHO (and most probably way closer than most of us are willing to admit):
REGULATION (EU) 2019/947 said:
Article 2
(7) ‘visual line of sight operation’ (‘VLOS’) means a type of UAS operation in which, the remote pilot is able to maintain continuous unaided visual contact with the unmanned aircraft, allowing the remote pilot to control the flight path of the unmanned aircraft in relation to other aircraft, people and obstacles for the purpose of avoiding collisions;

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest