DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Chernobyl

Guess I sound like an echo, but your video is extraordinarily powerful, eerie, thought-provoking, amazing! Incredible job, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: warburtonc
All,

I wanted to share a video I put together from my trip to Chernobyl this past July. It's seven minutes and shot with my Mavic 2 Pro. Amazing experience! I'm rather new to post processing video so ANY feedback and/or criticism would be greatly appreciated. Shot with a Mavic 2 Pro.

Chris

Might be the only drone video that could have gone on another hour and kept us in awe.
Music changing as we got closer to the demon child at the end left goose bumps.
The child screaming etched into the wall , great detail. pulling out of the room brilliant.

Being able to spot the subject in the air as you were flying not easy to do and you nailed that.
Well done, I am left wanting more.

Phantomrain.org
Coal

Awe inspiring. I'm surprised that the drone was not affected by the high radiation levels in some way.

I love how there are trees/bushes growing in the gunk/dirt on the roofs of the structures. Nature taking back over. I agree with many others, one of the best and most interesting videos I've seen on the forums.

WOW! Thanks for the kind words.

As GnirtS mentioned you can visit the exclusion zone on a group or private tour. Ukraine has allowed tours into the zone for quite a few years now and it's quite safe if you follow the rules (don't roll around in the mud for example).

Drone On - I don't know the closest truly inhabited city but people still live in the exclusion zone. They came back to their homes not long after the clean-up was done. I flew into Kiev and Chernobyl was about two hours away by car.

I had to get a government issued drone permit to fly in the zone. My tour operator did the paperwork, I just paid the fee. Getting the permit is not guaranteed but I had no problems. I opted for a two day private tour as attempting to get any real flight time in a group would be very challenging. I shot over an hour and a half of footage from the air. I brought a second Mavic as back-up and ten batteries (some borrowed from a friend). Flying there presented some minor challenges but was so worth it. The place is both haunting and amazing. You can see me piloting the Mavic at 2:30 in the video, top right corner of the screen on top of a building.

Thanks again for the kind words.
Chris

Reactions: marin849 and bbooty
Awe inspiring. I'm surprised that the drone was not affected by the high radiation levels in some way.

I love how there are trees/bushes growing in the gunk/dirt on the roofs of the structures. Nature taking back over. I agree with many others, one of the best and most interesting videos I've seen on the forums.

How would you expect low-level ionizing radiation to affect a drone? It's much less sensitive to radiation than living organisms.

Interesting read, thanks for posting.

Interesting, but unnecessarily mysterious. It was a high-power (10 MW) pulsed, phased-array radar for ballistic missile detection, rendered obsolete by satellite detection methods some time before the Chernobyl incident.

Had never seen it and just found it interesting. :)

This is the place I would most like to visit.

My Russian born wife was married to an engineer who worked for the USSRs atomic energy agency. The day after the melt down he flew to Chernobyl and did a low level helicopter inspection of the reactor. He died a few months later of cancer as a result the radiation dose.

Wow really well shot, a great composition, the video is a credit to your imagination, flying and editing skills.

Chernobyl truly a graveyard in more ways than one....

Good Luck in the future.
Waylander

Awesome footage.
I’ve watched many great docos on Chernobyl, including residents who live nearby and refused to move after the incident, still seemingly healthy.
The way nature has taken over again is remarkable, animals are thriving there without mans presence.
A great doco is wolves of Chernobyl, found a link.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada