DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Class E due to small airport

firstbase

Reactions
My house is in Class E sfc air space created by a small private airport 5.5 miles away. The airport is open 8a-4p Monday -Friday. So I believe in order to fly in my backyard I have to contact the airport for permission even though I will fly at 100' max and within the confines of my own property lines. Is the Class E airspace only in effect during the hours they operate? If I want to fly at 6pm one night or on weekends, times when they are closed, is it ok to just fly? Common sense tells me yes but this doesn't seem to be a common sense oriented hobby as far as some of the rules and regulations go. I don't have a drone yet and honestly, things are so confusing I'm not sure I really want one! I'm also within Class E space from two other airports but they have 700' and 1200' lower altitude limits.

My house is in Class E sfc air space created by a small private airport 5.5 miles away. The airport is open 8a-4p Monday -Friday. So I believe in order to fly in my backyard I have to contact the airport for permission even though I will fly at 100' max and within the confines of my own property lines. Is the Class E airspace only in effect during the hours they operate? If I want to fly at 6pm one night or on weekends, times when they are closed, is it ok to just fly? Common sense tells me yes but this doesn't seem to be a common sense oriented hobby as far as some of the rules and regulations go. I don't have a drone yet and honestly, things are so confusing I'm not sure I really want one! I'm also within Class E space from two other airports but they have 700' and 1200' lower altitude limits.
Just call the airport and ask. Regardless of the answer you’ll be limited to 400’ altitude.

I don’t think it’ll be an issue flying 100’ high in your yard. No plane is going to go that low.
I sometimes get that message (not every time?)
when I fly in my backyard.
I have a couple acres with trees that are taller.

Are you sure about that? Very few small, private airports have surface Class E. Not that it matters anyway since, if you are flying recreationally, the airspace class is irrelevant. Under current Part 101 you are simply required to notify airports within 5 miles, which this one isn't.

14 CFR 101.41
(e) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.​

As others have mentioned, under the currently enforced recreational rules, you simply need to notify airports within 5mi of your location. The actual airspace isn't relevant (especially outside of Class B areas).

As far as knowing when the Class E airspace is valid, you can check the FAA "Chart Supplement" for your region. Once you open the appropriate file, you can scroll down to the relevant airport and the airspace description and hours should be listed.

Unless the OP tells us specifically which airport he is looking at, it is doubtful that a PVT airport has a class E attached to it.

Now untowered airport, usually in class G, may have a class E associated with it, and it will be shown on sectionals with a purple dotted line around it, like in this case Winslow, AZ.
1a0326317739236c4f688928522f2f01.png

Unless the OP tells us specifically which airport he is looking at, it is doubtful that a PVT airport has a class E attached to it.

Now untowered airport, usually in class G, may have a class E associated with it, and it will be shown on sectionals with a purple dotted line around it, like in this case Winslow, AZ.
1a0326317739236c4f688928522f2f01.png

Agreed. Some untowered airports have surface Class E, and others just 700 ft Class E, so Class G at the surface. I don't think I've ever seen a private field with surface Class E.

Reactions: Mavic Maveric
I posted this map a while back trying to figure out where/how I can fly in my backyard but will post it again so you can see the airspace I am discussing in this post. The airport I am talking about is William Gwynn. Monday-Friday 8a-4p. Unless I am incorrect the sectional shows my home, red arrow, in the class E. When I look at the notes it shows it as Class E sfc. 71465

I posted this map a while back trying to figure out where/how I can fly in my backyard but will post it again so you can see the airspace I am discussing in this post. The airport I am talking about is William Gwynn. Monday-Friday 8a-4p. Unless I am incorrect the sectional shows my home, red arrow, in the class E. When I look at the notes it shows it as Class E sfc. View attachment 71465

It is Class E, but it's a Class E surface extension to Class D airspace, not a Class E surface airport, so it is open for Part 107 flights. That's still irrelevant for recreational flights since you are more than 5 miles from the airport.

It is Class E, but it's a Class E surface extension to Class D airspace, not a Class E surface airport, so it is open for Part 107 flights. That's still irrelevant for recreational flights since you are more than 5 miles from the airport.

thanks for taking the time to respond. this is very confusing for the newb to say the least. Does this mean I can go in my yard and fly without notifying someone?

thanks for taking the time to respond. this is very confusing for the newb to say the least. Does this mean I can go in my yard and fly without notifying someone?

If you are flying recreationally at that location then no notification is required to GWINN. But you are less than 4 miles from Tailwinds, to the north, so you need to notify them.

If you are flying recreationally at that location then no notification is required to GWINN. But you are less than 4 miles from Tailwinds, to the north, so you need to notify them.

Again, thanks for the response. Tailwinds is a small neighborhood live-in/fly-in strip, approx 15 homes on the runway. I did see a guys number listed and will give him a call before hand.

Again, thanks for the response. Tailwinds is a small neighborhood live-in/fly-in strip, approx 15 homes on the runway. I did see a guys number listed and will give him a call before hand.

Yes - it looks like a golf community, except for pilots.

Yep. Never see anyone go in or out. I just don't understand the drone regs yet. Maybe I am confusing things between recreational and 107. Lets forget about Tailwinds for the moment. If I am in Class E sfc it is ok for me to fly as long as I am 5 miles from the airport? If I were flying as 107 then I would have to notify?

Yep. Never see anyone go in or out. I just don't understand the drone regs yet. Maybe I am confusing things between recreational and 107. Lets forget about Tailwinds for the moment. If I am in Class E sfc it is ok for me to fly as long as I am 5 miles from the airport?

Correct - 101.41 (e) is all that applies:

When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.​

If I were flying as 107 then I would have to notify?

Not notify - that's not how it works in Part 107. Flying in surface Class E requires authorization or waiver, obtained via the LAANC system or the FAA portal.

§107.41 Operation in certain airspace.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC).​

Note that the slightly convoluted wording regarding Class E means surface Class E designated for an airport, not Class E extension to a surface area. That means that the Class E airspace that you are in would not require authorization for Part 107 flights.

So as a recreational operator it is easier but I am more restricted on how I can fly -VLOS, under 400', notify if within 5 miles of an airport, and the other common sense safety restrictions i.e. not over people, events, etc. 107 operators can go beyond but there are encumbered by more air space regulations. I guess what has been confusing to me is separating out the Part 107 language I read. "No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C....etc." Thought I was a person. Apparently not. My wife reminds me of this frequently, at least not an adult person. :)

Last edited:
So as a recreational operator it is easier but I am more restricted on how I can fly -VLOS, under 400', notify if within 5 miles of an airport, and the other common sense safety restrictions i.e. not over people, events, etc. 107 operators can go beyond but there are encumbered by more air space regulations. I guess what has been confusing to me is separating out the Part 107 language I read. "No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C....etc." Thought I was a person. Apparently not. My wife reminds me of this frequently, at least not an adult person. :)

You have to read more than just individual clauses in the law. You are a person but, if flying recreationally, a person who can claim exemption from Part 107:

§107.1 Applicability.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, this part applies to the registration, airman certification, and operation of civil small unmanned aircraft systems within the United States.​
(b) This part does not apply to the following:
(1) Air carrier operations;​
(2) Any aircraft subject to the provisions of part 101 of this chapter; or​
(3) Any operation that a remote pilot in command elects to conduct pursuant to an exemption issued under section 333 of Public Law 112-95, unless otherwise specified in the exemption.​

I too live within 5 miles of a Class E airport. But if you look at your sectional chart, you will probably see that it has a floor of 700' which is common for Class E. So, from 700' to the surface is Class G (no ATC contact needed). Yes, the FAA says to contact the airport if you're going to fly. I have contacted my local airport and they said I needn't call them to fly, ever. So, I fly at will.

My 2nd house was 1 mile dead center off a public main 4000 foot runway. I can testify that I have seen planes less than 100 feet off the ground during approach. Not all pilots are experts. Experienced pilots planes will purr like a kitten, if the props aren't set correctly the bad ones will wake the dead. When the airport wanted to expand to 5000 feet, (To allow the next size jet plane, they get revenue on gas sales) The neighborhood(s) got together and petitioned for this not to happen. There is no argument on who owns what. We were told the airspace above 35 feet was the governments. They do what they want to do. It wasn't until we got the politicians involved that it finally got dis-approved.

I too live within 5 miles of a Class E airport. But if you look at your sectional chart, you will probably see that it has a floor of 700' which is common for Class E. So, from 700' to the surface is Class G (no ATC contact needed). Yes, the FAA says to contact the airport if you're going to fly. I have contacted my local airport and they said I needn't call them to fly, ever. So, I fly at will.

Thanks Mav. This is Class E (sfc) not 700'. Airport is Class D with a 200" floor a few hundred yards west of me and down to 0 over the airport. I am outside that radius. The However, the Class E extension is (sfc). I think my newness is just over complicating this. I'm within 5 miles of one small private neighborhood airport and will call the guy who is listed to touch base with him. I'm sure the yard will get old quickly but want to get the basic skills down before venturing out with the drone. Goal is to take it with us on our boat when cruising. Gulp. Another question, when Trump is in West Palm there is a TFR and I am within that radius. Towards the edge somewhat but still within it. I believe a TFR kills ALL flights no matter who or what you are, recreational, 107, without approval. Is that correct?

Reactions: Mavic Maveric

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu