DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Colorado Mountains Montage

Savon W.

Reactions

A year of flying, a few crashes, and one documentary later I finally made a video that I'm ok looking at.
These are a few of the more interesting places I've been to in that time.
All thoughts and criticism welcomed. I have a long way to go and appreciate other pilots opinions.

Last edited:
Spectacular! One of the best I've seen - and I've seen a LOT. Super compositions, perfect panning and great variety. Love the reverse shots in the opening, curious if you flew/filmed in reverse (I never think to do that) or if you reversed in post, which is totally legit, just curious. Ending shot is fantastic, a treat for those who watch to the end. Subscribed to your channel.

Thank you

Spectacular! One of the best I've seen - and I've seen a LOT. Super compositions, perfect panning and great variety. Love the reverse shots in the opening, curious if you flew/filmed in reverse (I never think to do that) or if you reversed in post, which is totally legit, just curious. Ending shot is fantastic, a treat for those who watch to the end. Subscribed to your channel.
Thank you very much.
I flew those shots LOS in reverse(excluding the last one because I couldn't get a vantage point to look through the ridge). You can usually fly faster and get a smoother shot flying LOS be it forward or in reverse. I learned a lot about flying LOS from Mattias Allring. He has a few videos describing his process of flying backwards near objects.

Reactions: W2EJ and JRL67
Thanks! Super video. Something new to try! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Savon W.
Thank you

Thank you very much.
I flew those shots LOS in reverse(excluding the last one because I couldn't get a vantage point to look through the ridge). You can usually fly faster and get a smoother shot flying LOS be it forward or in reverse. I learned a lot about flying LOS from Mattias Allring. He has a few videos describing his process of flying backwards near objects.

Great video, interesting tips

A year of flying, a few crashes, and one documentary later I finally made a video that I'm ok looking at.
All thoughts and criticism welcomed. I have a long way to go and appreciate other pilots opinions.
This is some great footage. I’m coming to Colorado this weekend and traveling around the state in hopes of finding some incredible places like these you have flown. Flying into Denver and going on a week long adventure from there. Can you tell me some places to fly where I can fly legally? Thanks.

Incredible! I need to practice a lot more. Just when I start to lose motivation, someone does a sUAS video like this and I get re fired up. Here in northern Illinois, finding epic scenery, is an epic challenge. But, just as you've done here, it's not just the scenery, it is in how it's shot, edited and presented. You're video is a perfect example of that.

This is some great footage. I’m coming to Colorado this weekend and traveling around the state in hopes of finding some incredible places like these you have flown. Flying into Denver and going on a week long adventure from there. Can you tell me some places to fly where I can fly legally? Thanks.

Colorado is such a beautiful state, there is plenty to see. I am a new flyer and I'm still searching for good places, too. I just did a good one in Rollins Pass/Moffat road, all along 119 from Blackhawk to Estes Park has good views. 93 from Boulder to Golden has some cool spots. North Table Mountain is on my list to try. Any National Forrest is good. Highway 50 from Pueblo out through Canon City and Salida is a great drive, I want to go out that way soon, too.

All Denver parks have a drone ban, you can't launch in any Denver park (Red Rocks is in Morrison, but is still a Denver Park). Near Denver Airport is restricted of course, and there is an airport in Broomfield that restricts a good chunk just south of Boulder. AirMap shows a ton of little airfields all over, probably mostly no tower kind of things. I'm still not clear on those, I think you just call and let them know you're flying, right?

Loved your video! Your flying skills are so good - such smooth panning and great fly-by shots. Also, loved that you kept our interest by doing short clips of subjects (vs the minute's long shots of the same subject that seem to permeate so many videos on this site). Your superb editing skills were very apparent too. Looking forward to more of your work!!

You nailed it this time. Truly exceptional. Well done.

Colorado is such a beautiful state, there is plenty to see. I am a new flyer and I'm still searching for good places, too. I just did a good one in Rollins Pass/Moffat road, all along 119 from Blackhawk to Estes Park has good views. 93 from Boulder to Golden has some cool spots. North Table Mountain is on my list to try. Any National Forrest is good. Highway 50 from Pueblo out through Canon City and Salida is a great drive, I want to go out that way soon, too.

All Denver parks have a drone ban, you can't launch in any Denver park (Red Rocks is in Morrison, but is still a Denver Park). Near Denver Airport is restricted of course, and there is an airport in Broomfield that restricts a good chunk just south of Boulder. AirMap shows a ton of little airfields all over, probably mostly no tower kind of things. I'm still not clear on those, I think you just call and let them know you're flying, right?
Thanks for the reply. Yes, you should call nearby airfields. It’s unusual to get anyone on the phone at these small air strips but at least I have a record of trying on my phone. I usually just fly in super observation mode. I looked at some blogs and see the re is still a lot of snow. I’ll find some good places and let you know.

Reactions: Savon W. and JRL67
Great video, interesting tips
NP Thank you
Excellent. Really very good. A lot of patience; a lot of cold-*** mornings!
Thanks. Yes, very cold. A few mornings I was wondering if the mavic would even launch. I slept with my batteries every night.
Thank you
I personally like Long Scraggy Peak. It is less than an hour from Denver, has awesome rocks, and is never crowded.
Loved your video! Your flying skills are so good - such smooth panning and great fly-by shots. Also, loved that you kept our interest by doing short clips of subjects (vs the minute's long shots of the same subject that seem to permeate so many videos on this site). Your superb editing skills were very apparent too. Looking forward to more of your work!!
Thank you.
I learned by making a lot of slow uninteresting videos first. Long shots have merit but they still need to be engaging. That is a lot harder to do over a 4min clip vs. a 4 second one.
You nailed it this time. Truly exceptional. Well done.
Thank you Sir.
Excellent, great shots, great editing, nice music, all great stuff, too bad about your crashes though.
Thank you. Luckily for me the Mavic Air is as tough as I am dumb. I haven't crashed in months but I still carry extra props everywhere I go for those hard to see branches.

Absolutely stunning!

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU