DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Comparison Shopping- Info Please

GregE

Reactions
Time for some knowledgeable input.... so asking the experts about some DJI Mavic differences :)
I've done lots of reading, looking and watching and think the Mini may be too light for the winds I'm likely to encounter.
The Pro has been around a several years and has a longer flight time than the Air and is available used or refurbished. Platinum Pro seems to be an improved model with a little more time and quieter props.
The Air has rear sensors and is more compact, is fairly new and is holding it's price. More noisy though.
Logically a Fly More package makes sense and some private sellers have other things in their sale package for prices lower than refurbished from 'authorized DJI sellers'. Questions about accuracy of hours, condition crash history are a concern.
Can't justify the $$ for Mavic 2 and higher cost models yet
I loved flying- retired Army and commercial Helo and FW, and am a hobby photographer with some darkroom experience ( remember those ) not so much digital editing beyond Photoshop.

So in the time honored tradition of helping others spend their money ( wisely ) please add your thoughts and recommendations.

Last edited:
Crickets on this one..

Reading lots of info

The mini is the only one that doesn't need to be registered in the US if you care about that. I'd suggest if you're into photography to go with the MP or better. The air would be useful if you're needing a compact package for transport but the occusync the pro has makes for better range.

My buddy crashed one of his MP's and they sent him a refurbished quad. Looked brand new and has been working fine for over a year. You might consider a refurbished model if you want to enter the hobby at a reasonable price. Having brand new is great for a while but when the new wears off you might feel better having more cash in your pocket.

Reactions: GregE
When i first started looking into getting one, i did a lot of research like you have. I ended up borrowing my buddies Air for two weeks and flying that around just to make sure i even wanted a drone. Once i flew it i knew i had to have one. So i did more research. Ended up picking up a slightly used Pro Platinum from a guy a few hours drive away. Came with a few extras and was a good price. I was able to see it and check everything out before buying. I love it and it has been worth the money, problem free and a lot of fun.

The Air and the Pro seem to be about the same price for slightly used. After flying both i think the pro is a slightly better unit. But they are both great and i'm sure you would be equally happy with either. The biggest selling point of the pro for me was the controller display and the fact that it has occusync over just wifi for transmission. Much better range and signal.

Good synopsis, thanks.

I'm leaning toward the MP but several Airs posted recently look good. Don't suppose the Comptroller will go for two !?!?!

Good synopsis, thanks.

I'm leaning toward the MP but several Airs posted recently look good. Don't suppose the Comptroller will go for two !?!?!
You mean one controller for two different drones? Nope. They're two different transmitters. But I have two controllers for my Mavic Pro. One has an amplifier on it that I use from time to time. The other is more stock and is used more often. Not sure if the Air has that capability to be operated with more than one controller.

DD, Comptroller is the one in charge of the funds...... or at least has great input :)
Two
drones- not gonna happen

YOu know the drill

The absolutely best buy currently is finding a gently used and never crashed Mavic Pro, if you look around you can get everything you could possibly need for around seven hundred bucks, maybe five hundred bucks if you really look. I should know I just sold one for less than half of what I paid just because I needed the better camera of the M2. When the Mavic 3 comes out and the original Mavic prices drop down even further I may buy one back just as a spare!

Jack et al, I appreciate all the comments and suggestions- I spent a lot of time looking at videos and discussion topics and came to that same decision.

I have a used Mavic Pro Platinum coming next week for about that $.
More questions to follow :)

Will I need more than two batteries?
Do I need a 5 in 1 charger or will the FlyMore charger be enough?
Waterproof Hard case for storage or lighter style/ pack?
What's the joy stick transport protector called? Source?
Will the Comptroller enjoy this or am I bunking with the dogs?
What travel destinations will allow us to use this?Platinum Mavic Pro.JPG

Last edited:

Here's why

platinum Mavic Pro bag.jpg

I've been flying drones since the Phantom 1. Of the birds listed in my signature, I currently have the M2P and MM. I haven't owned an Air, but have a close friend who does. Or did, rather. He sold his MP and bought the Air because it was the latest offering from DJI. He regretted it due to its shorter flight endurance and only marginally smaller physical footprint. He replaced it with a M2P as soon as he could.

I was flying an MPP at the time and loved that drone. It was noticeably quieter and had a few more minutes of flight time over the regular Mavic Pro. It's also the best-looking Mavic, if you want my subjective opinion.

I have no interest in the Air. If budget precluded me from getting the M2P, I'd try to find a Platinum.

(On an aside, what kind of helos did you fly in the Army?)

What travel destinations will allow us to use this?View attachment 90947

I fly with four batteries which works for me but can recharge in the field via an inverter. For the most part I rarely go through more than four in one day but YMMV
I have one of those chargers that can fully charge 3 batteries at once. The flymore adapter can hook up extra batteries but only charges one at a time. My AC charger (sometimes called a blue charger), requires a fairly high amp inverter but also carry a 12vDC car charger and a DJI brick that requires 110AC.
I have a large pelican type case but also a small backpack for short trips.
There are several sources for the joystick protector.
PGYTECH Control Stick Protector for DJI Mavic Pro Remote is about 10 bucks at B&H camera.
Only you can tell if your purchase is gonna go over well. Just figure you might need a few extras. Lens filters, SD cards, landing gear and maybe a landing pad. Possibly a bigger tablet and mount?
What travel destinations will allow us to use this?
Flying VLOS can be different depending on where you plan to fly. Terrain can be a huge factor. We have a few fly parks here in Nor-Cal that allow RC aircraft but that gets boring after a while. I find most lakes are worth checking out. BLM and forest service lands usually don't have restrictions like National Parks but you still should check. In CA some state parks forbid drone activities...some don't. Apps like Airmap show where there are general flight restrictions. Don't forget to register your aircraft with the FAA. Know and follow the rules for rec flying:

Wow, thanks for the thorough responses!!

Already working on the 'List of Stuff'

Travel plans include Hawaii this year. For Europe I'll be checking to see if registration has reciprocity

Clipper707, Over 4000 hours in UH-1, 2200 in OH-58/ Jet Ranger, 500 in OH-23/ 12E Saloy, lesser times in AH-1 Cobra, Oh-6 LOH, OH-13, TH 55.
Flew CH-46/ BV107 for Columbia Helicopters all over the NW logging and fire bucket jobs.
The picture was taken in Korea in 1983 a couple years before retired from the Army. Seems like a short time ago ........

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure