DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass calibration second step?

Johnyboy

Reactions
Hi all.

Setting up my new mavic 2 pro and need some advice on the second step of the compass calibration.

I complete the first step then it asks me to face the drone front down to the ground yet the image demonstration displayed shows the drone vertical on its side?

So do I calibrate the second step with the drone vertical on its side as the illustration shows or face down as the text shows?

Many thank

@Johnyboy are you sure you are doing the compass calibration and not the IMU calibration

Some folks may choose to turn the drone in their hands while rotating to calibrate. I do it a bit differently, holding it the whole time in one hand while doing "the calibration dance". Step one, while holding it flat turn your whole self to the left until it (the app) says to change positions, while continuing to do the anticlockwise dance. I continue turning to the left now pointing it to the sky until it tells me that calibration was successful. You could of course opt to turn it, changing hands as you remain stationary as it rotates on both planes, but other than maybe getting myself a bit dizzy from turning, I find it's a no-fuss, quick way to get the job done.

@Johnyboy are you sur you are doing the compass calibration and not the IMU calibration
Definitely compass calibration. First step i hold the drone horizontally in front of me a spin round 360 withe drone centralised. Then step 2 is the problem with contradicting information. The illustration showing drone vertical on its side for the 360 spin and the text saying point front of drone downwards and spin 360. Which one is correct? Both ways seem to work and complete the compass calibration.

Reactions: old man mavic
Hi all.

Setting up my new mavic 2 pro and need some advice on the second step of the compass calibration.

I complete the first step then it asks me to face the drone front down to the ground yet the image demonstration displayed shows the drone vertical on its side?

So do I calibrate the second step with the drone vertical on its side as the illustration shows or face down as the text shows?

Many thank
On-screen instructions are confusing indeed, DJI never bothered to fix this. Proper, or at least working way:
1. Full turn with camera facing away until LED lights indicates confirmation.
2. Full turn with camera facing down until LED lights blinking green.

Notes:
1. Do not calibrate with iron in proximity (5m distance minimum).
2. Remove all iron and phone (suspender clamps may mess with calibration).
3. Check the compass reading bar in app.
4. Do not re-calibrate until Go4 app clearly demand such.

Definitely compass calibration. First step i hold the drone horizontally in front of me a spin round 360 withe drone centralised. Then step 2 is the problem with contradicting information. The illustration showing drone vertical on its side for the 360 spin and the text saying point front of drone downwards and spin 360. Which one is correct? Both ways seem to work and complete the compass calibration.
Doesn't matter. I always do nose down, easier when holding it from the bottom.

Well I never, hmmmm, only ever followed the text.
Now that it has been mentioned I recollect this has been discussed before but may have been in connection with the Mavic Mini or with differences between the App and the manual which states and shows nose down (page 65/66)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I never, hmmmm, only ever followed the text.
Now that it has been mentioned I recollect this has been discussed before but maybe in connection with the Mavic Mini
Like Kilrah said above, it doesn't really matter. However, Mavic 2 Pro may be finicky in this department. Mine is demanding compass calibration once a month or every 50-75 km when on the move. Go figure ...

Mine is demanding compass calibration once a month or every 50-75 km when on the move. Go figure ...
That's on purpose, they've added a trigger that requests cal based on these 2 parameters even if it's already good.

That's on purpose, they've added a trigger that requests cal based on these 2 parameters even if it's already good.
That much I've learned too. Why this annoyance was introduced for M2P only (if I'm not mistaken) remains a mystery. It's not fun when you travel thru beautiful country ...

It just takes a minute...

I believe it's not only the M2, but anything since the M2. My MM2 definitely did these past few days where I went to different places. Flew indoors yesterday and it was happy to fly as it was for a couple of flights until it caught enough of a GPS signal to figure out where it was and bam, cal required.

That much I've learned too. Why this annoyance was introduced for M2P only (if I'm not mistaken) remains a mystery. It's not fun when you travel thru beautiful country ...
There is no physical reason that the compass would need recalibrating for travelling any distance or the passing of any number of days.
DJI haven't given any clues to what they were thinking and it makes no sense.
It's almost as if they are making a rule to support the incorrect imformation they used to put in the old manuals about compass calibration.

There is no physical reason that the compass would need recalibrating for travelling any distance or the passing of any number of days.
DJI haven't given any clues to what they were thinking and it makes no sense.
It's almost as if they are making a rule to support the incorrect imformation they used to put in the old manuals about compass calibration.
Concur, they have always said one and done. My P3P has had one for over the almost 4 years I have had it, flies perfect.

Like Kilrah said above, it doesn't really matter. However, Mavic 2 Pro may be finicky in this department. Mine is demanding compass calibration once a month or every 50-75 km when on the move. Go figure ...
My Mavic 2 Pro isn't finicky at all. Maybe it's because I bought a refurbished unit? :oops:
In all seriousness, the only times I have to recalibrate my compass is when I'm too close to metal with some mass (i.e. my car). I suppose I'd be annoyed if I had to do it every time I flew. But I got the M2P in early August and I think I've calibrated it 3, maybe 4 times since then.

It could be they want to be cautious that any stray magnetism that might be picked up in a month's time is accounted for. Some have had to degauss their M2 for being stored near a strong magnetic field too long.
Can't explain distance tbough.

It might not matter much but rotating yourself isn't as accurate a calibration as rotating the AC itself.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
My Mavic 2 Pro isn't finicky at all. Maybe it's because I bought a refurbished unit? :oops:
The 30 day/50 km thing only affects some Mavic 2s - just more confusing DJI compass inconsistency
In all seriousness, the only times I have to recalibrate my compass is when I'm too close to metal with some mass (i.e. my car).
You don't have to recalibrate the compass in that situation.
It's just DJI's poor message wording that makes people think it's needed.
It's a perfectly working compass warning you that it's detected a problem in the launch environment.
The appropriate action is to power down, move the drone to a safe launch spot and power on again.
Recalibrating isn't necessary since there's nothing wrong with the compass.

My M2P demands compass calibration whenever I go 200 kms or more from my home place. Shows some magnetic interference and requires calibration. 1st step is easy. Hold the drone still in air over the place it was started and rotate yourself around it in such a way that drone rotates with you but stays on top of starting point. For 2nd step, I used to hold it with camera facing towards sky and rotate myself and drone the same way... Calibration is completed successfully. Whether this procedure is correct or wrong but serves the purpose well.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Inconsistency is the name of the game. For over 6 years dealing with a plethora of DJI drones - consumer, prosumer or enterprise class - I've never seen two of the same models behaving exactly the same way. Compass calibration is one of the most controversial, mythical issues, poorly - if ever - explained in official documents. Bottom line: do the dance only when clearly requested by the app, always in magnetically transparent environment ...

I believe we'll be seeing more M2's periodically request calibration. Early on when some were seeing it and others weren't, the data stream of the ones that didn't had a date to next calibration years off. I can't remember what the date specified was but I believe we're nearing it if not already reached it.

My MM1 seems to call for calibration too readily so I think the 30 day is in it too.

I always recalibrate the compass at the beginning of every session no matter if it's 50 feet or 50 miles different. Magnetic lines of force are different than true north on a map known as magnetic declination. It varies throughout the world. Granted that a distance difference of a few miles shouldn't make any difference, but these magnetic lines are subject to change over time.

I have made it a practice to do three things prior to flight as part of my preflight.
1. Use a landing pad where practical.
2. Calibrate the compass.
3. Upon takeoff, hover at about 20 feet for about 15 seconds to give drone a good chance to "see" the landing area and memorize it.

Since I have started doing this, when doing a RTH the drone ALWAYS has landed within an inch or two of the takeoff position.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998