DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Computer Specs

Sixdollars

Reactions
I fly an Air 2S with an RC Pro Controller. My computer is a HP Envy with an I7 16th Generation Chip It has 12 MB of Memory, but it's 5 years old and I'm getting a little worried about its life and starting to think about replacing it.

I'm starting to do some Photo work and, also some video. What would you suggest for the specs I should look for in a new computer?

I'm starting to do some Photo work and, also some video. What would you suggest for the specs I should look for in a new computer?
Depends entirely on what software you choose. For the highly regarded DaVinci Resolve video editor, you should aim for at least 32GB of RAM and a midrange or better GPU card with at least 8GB of VRAM. Those recommendations go up if you plan to do more than basic 4K editing.

Reactions: Cafguy
For basic video & photo editing you can get away with just about anything that's "today". As a test I purchased an off-the-shelf laptop from BestBuy. Loaded all of our basic editing programs and it cranks through them with ease. Not nearly as fast as my custom Work Horse laptop but leaps and bounds ahead of a 5 year old laptop. Even 4k video doesn't crunch it for the "day to day stuff".

When you get into more in-depth processing and larger more robust programs you'll want something with a lot of Horsepower and Torque (CPU and RAM) under the hood.

Reactions: Cafguy and dmathis
For most high definition work a powerful GPU with lots of memory will be needed.

Anything with a 3050/3060 or 4050/4060, 8/16GB of RAM and an i5/i7 and an IPS monitor. All the Adobe suite and most editing programs use both the GPU and the CPU to accelerate the processing. An SSD is also mandatory, but you can store the data long term on cheaper external HDDs.

I personally prefer custom tower PCs, and I'm currently using a 13600K, a 4070, 65GB of DDR5 and a 1440p GSync monitor, but if you are not into the hobby of PC building any laptop should do it.

For example, I recently picked this laptop for my father for 588€ which is a great deal at that price range, you buy a Windows 11 key for 2€ and you are good to go, and now it's even cheaper.

You can't buy tech from the future, so always go with the performance per buck when buying electronics; past the sweet spot, double the money usually means just 5-10% performance increase, which means nothing, just save for the new computer in 3-5 years.

1700298895277.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne