DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confused

Trollistika

Reactions
Just got a zoom, I know I have to register. I'm in the U.S. California. I plan on going commercial in about 3 months. Can I register as non commercial now and then register as commercial later?

Oh good to know. The price is 5f for rec. What the price for part107? Also... part 107, that allow to fly for fun and to make money when you want? Finally bough one and diving into the rules. Excuse my lack of info and appreciate the reaponse.

Reactions: Former Member
Oh good to know. The price is 5f for rec. What the price for part107? Also... part 107, that allow to fly for fun and to make money when you want? Finally bough one and diving into the rules. Excuse my lack of info and appreciate the reaponse.

Under Part 107 the registration is for each aircraft, and is $5 per aircraft. Part 107 covers all flights, recreational and non-recreational (including commercial), but to fly non-recreationally you not only have to register the aircraft under Part 107 but also take and pass the Part 107 test.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Under Part 107 the registration is for each aircraft, and is $5 per aircraft. Part 107 covers all flights, recreational and non-recreational (including commercial), but to fly non-recreationally you not only have to register the aircraft under Part 107 but also take and pass the Part 107 test.
Ahh I see. So might as well do part 107. So best road plan is to start studying and within a few weeks take the test and right there is where you pay the 150$? Correct? What if I just want to fly noe for fun, just register it recreations for 5$? Then once the test is passed, it's considered registered comercial?

Ahh I see. So might as well do part 107. So best road plan is to start studying and within a few weeks take the test and right there is where you pay the 150$? Correct? What if I just want to fly noe for fun, just register it recreations for 5$? Then once the test is passed, it's considered registered comercial?

If you don't intend to use it under Part 107 then a recreational registration, which will cover all aircraft that you own, makes more sense. If you plan to take the test and fly under Part 107 then you may as well just register it under Part 107 now - same price and you won't need to register again for Part 107. Once you have passed the test you can fly under either recreational or Part 107 rules.

Reactions: Carb63
If you don't intend to use it under Part 107 then a recreational registration, which will cover all aircraft that you own, makes more sense. If you plan to take the test and fly under Part 107 then you may as well just register it under Part 107 now - same price and you won't need to register again for Part 107. Once you have passed the test you can fly under either recreational or Part 107 rules.
To clarify: if you choose 336 the registration is actually you, and the number can go on all your drones...... If you pass the 107 test each of your drones must be registered individually and each will receive a different FAA number which belongs to that particular drone.
Each registration number has the same fee.

To clarify: if you choose 336 the registration is actually you, and the number can go on all your drones...... If you pass the 107 test each of your drones must be registered individually and each will receive a different FAA number which belongs to that particular drone.

Yes - not quite though. Your Part 107 status doesn't change whether you can use your Section 336 registration number. You can still put a 336 registration number on aircraft that you own and fly them recreationally - you just can't fly them under Part 107.

Reactions: Thomas B
Ahhh I see. Good information. Then I think I will do the 5$ reg. Then when I am ready do the test [150$] and register the drone for commercial use. I'm thinking 6 months or so down the road to make money. I wasn't aware you can swap numbers... nothing illegal right? But makes sense to just register it part 107 noe to have both worlds.

When you say "each registration number has the same fee"... you are talking about the 5$?

The individual and licenced pilot concepts above are what the Australian equivalent of FAA (CASA) is doing soon, introducing changes from July 1 here.
Looks like a copy of FAA policy almost totally.
Not sure if commercial pilots will get separate numbers here, but expect so.

The proposed fee for commercial flyers is for each drone between AUD$100 and $160 per craft, many are understandably unhappy with that !
That is still to be decided in final yet though.

The individual and licenced pilot concepts above are what the Australian equivalent of FAA (CASA) is doing soon, introducing changes from July 1 here.

The proposed fee for commercial flyers is for each drone between AUD$100 and $160 per craft, many are understandably unhappy with that !
That's why I asked if the fee was 5$. I was confused with the 150$ test fee and the 5$ rec fee. And 5$ honestly is cheap, should be free. But 100 or 160$ per drone is nuts.

That's why I asked if the fee was 5$. I was confused with the 150$ test fee and the 5$ rec fee. And 5$ honestly is cheap, should be free. But 100 or 160$ per drone is nuts.

Yes, it is supposed to reflect cost recovery only, many commercial operators rightfully think this is WAY too much.
They already have huge costs for remote pilots licence and operators certificates here.

I think hobbyist flyers fee is supposedly going to be AUD$20 or less per year, and that is for the operator, drones are not levied like commercial.
Hobbyists test is free, online similar to the DJI one, very simple ensuring all know the rules.

Well, at least the ones that actually do the hobbyist licencing, like other such laws here the bad elements won't bother and do what they like anyway.
Not sure exactly how they will get all drone flyers to get into the new system, and exactly how it will improve safety . . . apart form all will at least be aware of the CASA rules etc.

Enjoy your zoom, and safe flying :)

Yes, it is supposed to reflect cost recovery only, many commercial operators rightfully think this is WAY too much.
They already have huge costs for remote pilots licence and operators certificates here.

I think hobbyist flyers fee is supposedly going to be AUD$20 or less per year, and that is for the operator, drones are not levied like commercial.
Hobbyists test is free, online similar to the DJI one, very simple ensuring all know the rules.

Well, at least the ones that actually do the hobbyist licencing, like other such laws here the bad elements won't bother and do what they like anyway.
Not sure exactly how they will get all drone flyers to get into the new system, and exactly how it will improve safety . . . apart form all will at least be aware of the CASA rules etc.

Enjoy your zoom, and safe flying :)
Thxs! And thxs all with the info. Will dive deeper with Google for the test.

Thxs! And thxs all with the info. Will dive deeper with Google for the test.

Test ?
If you mean the DJI one, it should come up automatically, just once, very easy for the US one, as was the one here for Australia.
The US one came out first, I remember reading about it, then we got tacked on later, but took all of a few minutes and covered our basic rules to fly at the time.

If you mean the US (?) licencing tests, depends on what you are aiming for I guess.

Cheers.

Test ?
If you mean the DJI one, it should come up automatically, just once, very easy for the US one, as was the one here for Australia.
The US one came out first, I remember reading about it, then we got tacked on later, but took all of a few minutes and covered our basic rules to fly at the time.

If you mean the US (?) licencing tests, depends on what you are aiming for I guess.

Cheers.
Yeah, meant the part 107 test. :p

Oh... 1 more question. If you get the Part107 licence only, you can fly recreationally without doing anything like slapping another number to the drone right? For U.S

Wow! What a price gouge!

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJIMavic3cine