DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Connecting RC to tablet

rscheff

Reactions
I just bought an MM and using my Galaxy S9 to connect to the RC but it is so small when flying out of sight. I would like to hook up a Galaxy Tab 2 to the RC and DJI does not have the cable. I figured I would make my own and I found the schematics for the Tab 2 cable but I can't find the schematics for the DJI RC cable, without both schematics I have no idea which wires to connect. Does anyone out there have the schematics or know where to get a cable? I also could not download the software directly to the tablet, any ideas on how to do this?

I believe it is a reversible micro USB connector. What you can do is use a Micro USB connector. From what I'm looking at through my Mavic 2 controller, the micro USB cable enters one position so not sure why its called reversible micro USB. But yea a Micro USB connector is what you can use. And as for the DJI go 4 apps being available for the Tab 2 I don't believe it works on there. You need at least IOS 8 for apple products or Android 4.1 for android devices. This might be far fetched but I recommend an iPad or a recent Samsung tablet to make it run well. An iPad mini is something I'd suggest to use.

I believe it is a reversible micro USB connector. What you can do is use a Micro USB connector. From what I'm looking at through my Mavic 2 controller, the micro USB cable enters one position so not sure why its called reversible micro USB. But yea a Micro USB connector is what you can use. And as for the DJI go 4 apps being available for the Tab 2 I don't believe it works on there. You need at least IOS 8 for apple products or Android 4.1 for android devices. This might be far fetched but I recommend an iPad or a recent Samsung tablet to make it run well. An iPad mini is something I'd suggest to use.
The Mini is not reversible, at least it is not reversible in that it only goes in one way, the wiring may be, but I doubt it is because why would they build it so that you cannot put it in upside down. I know that my tablet wires go like this: red (hot), data (white), data+(green), ground (black) because I have the schematic that shows this, but I do not know that the DJI RC is the same, in fact I highly doubt that it is.

Attachments

• galaxy-tab-usb-adapter.gif
    galaxy-tab-usb-adapter.gif
    34.4 KB · Views: 19
The Mini is not reversible, at least it is not reversible in that it only goes in one way, the wiring may be, but I doubt it is because why would they build it so that you cannot put it in upside down. I know that my tablet wires go like this: red (hot), data (white), data+(green), ground (black) because I have the schematic that shows this, but I do not know that the DJI RC is the same, in fact I highly doubt that it is.
I know it isn't I'm not sure why that got put into the name. Either way, I do believe it acts like a Micro USB cable considering you don't need DJI's special cable to connect it there and I have tried it numerous times, it works like intended. Unless you want to open up Dji's cable and see what wire types it has. Whatever works for you

I have to buy another cable to splice the 2 together anyway so I can tear the cable apart but I still will not know if one wire is "data" or "data+", unless they use the same color wires, they might because ground and hot are universal (except in AC ground is green and hot is white). I just wish I could get a schematic. I will have to try DJI again, maybe I will get a different person. I still have the issue of the software not working with the tablet.

I will have to try DJI again, maybe I will get a different person. I still have the issue of the software not working with the tablet.
As for the software issue I am not sure if the tablet is compatible with using DJI Go 4. What android version is it running? I'm pretty sure this tablet is like from 2012-13 so support on that may be low. Seems easier to either get an iPad that uses lightning or an android tablet with Micro USB or USB C that works well with the DJI Go 4 app.

I just happened to have this tablet sitting around and was hoping I could convert it. My wife was not too happy with me buying this drone now with everything the way it is with this Corona virus, and on top of it I just got my boat back from the shop at the tune of $1,200 to replace a voltage regulator and 2 batteries. Just in case she lets me buy (boy do I sound henpecked) another tablet do we know which ones work with DJI hardware and software?

Just in case she lets me buy (boy do I sound henpecked) another tablet do we know which ones work with DJI hardware and software?
If you're asking for a recommendation then I can help you find some very good and reliable options. Here's the latest generation of a 10.2 inch iPad 128GB for $399 here. Or an Amazon renewed for $299 with 32GB of storage here. On the Android side we have Samsungs 2019 Galaxy Tab A here for $249 and honestly the Tab A series has improved very much over the past few years. Or Samsungs (flagship?) galaxy Tabs like the Tab S4 here for $580 if you want a very good android tablet. Many options to choose from honestly. For me when I fly my Mavic 2, I mainly use my S20 Ultra. The screen size is pretty good to work with but if not I do use my iPad sometimes. If you are in the market of an iPad I recommend this cable from RCStyle with Micro USB to Lightning here if you need more cable length to connect to

Thanks for all the info, far and beyond what I expected. Considering how much money I have spent in less than a week (with no income) I guess I will be looking at the Galaxy Tab A. Thanks again.

Thanks for all the info, far and beyond what I expected. Considering how much money I have spent in less than a week (with no income) I guess I will be looking at the Galaxy Tab A. Thanks again.
No problem man! I do hope your situation gets better as its no pretty here either. Hope the Tab A suits your needs for flying you Mavic Mini. Man I have got to get one...

Just a heads up about Tab A options for the Fly app:
I just went through the process or researching this and found zero evidence that the 10.1" model works and some evidence that it doesn't.
Only the 8" model SM-T290 2019 with Android 9 manufactured for North America with a Qualcomm processor has a reputation for working.

There are reports of folks having success with some of the more expensive 10.1" models like the Tab S5e but be sure to do your diligence.
It's a muddy topic because every time someone asks the question they'll get answers for the Go4 app.
There are lots of models known to work with Go4 but not many confirmed to work with DJI fly.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
It seems to be a crap shoot on of your Tab A will work. I had a 10.1 Samsung tab a and it did not work. You could load Go4 but it would not load The Go app for the mini at all. I just bit the bullet and bought an iPad mini. Best choice I have made I think, it just works perfect. Happy flying and good luck with your wife :)

Just a heads up about Tab A options for the Fly app:
I just went through the process or researching this and found zero evidence that the 10.1" model works and some evidence that it doesn't.
Only the 8" model SM-T290 2019 with Android 9 manufactured for North America with a Qualcomm processor has a reputation for working.

There are reports of folks having success with some of the more expensive 10.1" models like the Tab S5e but be sure to do your diligence.
It's a muddy topic because every time someone asks the question they'll get answers for the Go4 app.
There are lots of models known to work with Go4 but not many confirmed to work with DJI fly.
Just confirming the above @Meanderthal . Good point about the Qualicomm processor. I believe the key point is having the "arm 8 or arm64" which all 64 bit processors do not.

For a friend I just set up a new Samsung SM-T290 2019 (Canada) by downloading the APK Android App from DJI.com. It installed and all works well. He couldn't get the the app from Google so came to me for help.

DJI would not release the diagram of their cord because they said it was proprietary. I don't know what they are worried about doesn't seem like a big secret where the wires go!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan