DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controlling the Mavic while camera is pointing at the same spot

helmut

Reactions
If I want to take a movie from an object - I fly up or down, left or right I always have to adjust the camera direction.

Is it possible to fly in any direction while the Mavic camera is automatically pointing at a fixed spot?

You can use the point of interest feature on the djigo4 app.

POI Mode is different as the drone is always circling around the POI automatically (height, distance from POI and Rotation Speed are adjustable also)

I would also appreciate a new intelligent flight mode that „just“ adjusts the Orientation of the Camera to the POI.
Flying the drone should be Freestyle

If I want to take a movie from an object - I fly up or down, left or right I always have to adjust the camera direction.

Is it possible to fly in any direction while the Mavic camera is automatically pointing at a fixed spot?
Sometimes, I can play games with home lock flight mode where the Mavic will stay in the same orientation but move "forward" and "back" with the control sticks, so I can point the camera at the interest, enter home lock, so I do not have to yaw to change flight direction, slide past object for video. Just a thought.

With practice you can do it manually, just keep slight pressure on the sticks both out or both in.
Watch the screen to keep things in position.
From a composition point of view the automated options aren't always ideal as they place the subject very central.

Try Spotlight mode. This will keep the camera on the subject as you fly around, even if the subject is stationary.

Spotlight will accomplish what your looking for so long as the subject is relatively close and you want your movements slow. You also have to realize that when you move the aircraft the controls will be relative to the direction of the original heading when Spotlight was initiated.

If you truly want "freestyle" then you need to learn how to fly the sticks and gimbal wheel.

I’ve messed around with it trying to develop the skill of flying with my thumbs and controlling gimbal tilt with my left forefinger. It’s not any more difficult than say, learning to play the piano. A few years of daily practice and you’ll probably get pretty good at it. LoL.

I checked this morning ‘Active Track’ with ‘Spotlight’. It works very good.
Only the control sticks to move left or right are reacting slightly different. Big Fil mentioned it already.
Learning the skill to fly ‘freestyle’ and controlling the gimbal would be professional, but not easy.

Want to test if Spotlight works by framing a big building, a lake or a big tree?

Thank you everybody.

If you use active track and highlight your object, even though it remains stationary, when you fly freestyle, the camera will remain fixed on the highlighted object.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom