DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crash - Pilot error or drone issue?

@MavicDelight

I prefer Ventusky over Windy. Windy's screen is a bit too cluttered for me. With Ventusky, I can check the winds at a variety of altitudes in just a couple of clicks. Whichever you choose, the point is you need to rely on a product other than UAV Forecast.

Ventusky is probably good for USA but in France, it doesn't allow models like NEMS or AROME with grids thiner than those of ECWMF or GFS. Only ICON which is more precise than the latters. Nor it gives waves heights and swell that are important to me.
However, it is precious to get an idea of the wind not only at 10m altitude but also at 100m and 250m above ground. I will adopt it as a complement of Windy, thank you.

[Edit : Ventusky well reports waves heights, I didn't see it]

Reactions: VegasFlyer
Ventusky is a great low cost app.
I just use the web based version (free) before going out, gets me by.

Otherwise I monitor my drone screen indicators to assist with wind at altitude.

Reactions: VegasFlyer
Something happened around 234 secs. But power (battery voltage * current) only dropped a little after that point when it starts to descend sharply. It would be interesting to see the motor rpms. Probably it didn't help with "Not Enough Force" for most of the flight. Maybe something gave way, like one of the motors overheated or something, the sudden pitch/roll at 234 secs. After that, it's just descending and not enough power to maintain altitude.

I agree that we need to see the motor speeds. I've now seen 5 or 6 examples of this behavior - all very similar and all accompanied by significant attitude instability, which is not normal when descending except in VRS. Unfortunately it's clear that the DJI Fly app is very inconsistent in actually recording DAT files, and so far none has been available.

Ventusky is a great low cost app.
I just use the web based version (free) before going out, gets me by.

Otherwise I monitor my drone screen indicators to assist with wind at altitude.

I, too, consult the web version before I head out. I like that I can click on the time of day to see how the winds are forecasted to change. So far I haven't seen any reason to purchase the app. (even though the price is reasonable) I can do without the 3D globe view the app supplies.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I do not understand why newbies at this hobby think they can fly in winds over 20 mph with impunity. You are pushing your luck with an expensive toy! Must be nice to be rich! I've dared nature with my MP once when I was a newbie & the 22 mph wind almost blew my Mavy into the neighbor's tree. I had to quickly switch to Sport mode to bring it back to safety & I consider myself very, very lucky that day! I had no warnings, I had good GPS sats & a "green" takeoff but flying above my yards trees was almost a disaster. I now have the apps "Dark Sky" & "UAV Forecast" set @ 15MPH & I get "RED" indications & texts before I even think about flying. You will have enough crashes flying your drone without pushing your luck with high winds too!
Sorry you lost your drone but remember what I've said... Chill when it is windy!...

Reactions: MavicFlyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3