DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

blacksilverod

Reactions
Hello everyone,
I recently went on a trip to a cruise through the Amazon River.
I had an accident with my mavic. I didn't realize the ship was moving, or, if I thought it was moving, I didn'd think it would be significanty fast. But right after taking off the Mavic and hovering about 1 m over the floor, it suddently flew towards the rear of the ship like a missile, hit the ceeling and crashed to the floor. Fortunately, all I had was a couple of broken propellers, gimble was just fine. I suppose the Mavic, witch had GPS signal ok, tried to compensate and stay still in the same place related to earth, not to the ship. I learned this lesson the hard way. Thanks people!

Last edited:
Reactions: designit777
Metal ship = NFZ

Had nothing to do with the moving ship. Good thing no one was hurt. I'm actually amazed they allowed you to fly in and around the ship.

I tried to take off from a cruise ship and as soon as it took off it came up navigation error and started drifting, so I compensated for the drift and brought it into land

There was a phantom and matrice taking off flying and landing ok even when the ship was moving

Reactions: blacksilverod
Did you take off from the deck? Probably would have had a far better chance taking off from a hand launch well above the metal deck.

Reactions: blacksilverod
Metal ship = NFZ

Had nothing to do with the moving ship. Good thing no one was hurt. I'm actually amazed they allowed you to fly in and around the ship.
Is it? Did not know. I've read many regulations here in my country and haven't read anything about that.. interesting. So in those big cruises in oceans one is not allowed to fly drones?

I dont know of any cruise ships that allow anyone to fly a drone on board, and experiences like yours are precisely why. Sadly, what happened to you will probably make it even harder to even board a cruise ship with a drone, which is already getting increasingly more restricted every day.

Reactions: danman999
With princess cruises there wasn't anything saying about drones, there were film crews onboard paid to take drone footage of the ship whilst sailing and coming into the ports

I had no problem taking my drone on and off the ship in the fly more bag

People that bought them in Hong Kong (boxed) had them confiscated until the end of the cruise

Must say I appreciated your video and for sharing but I am glad I wasn't on that cruise with you. The whole purpose is to rest and relax especially on what appears to be a rather $$$$ trip. To have someone buzzing over me and my family on an exotic excursion let alone the populated deck would drive me batty. Most take a cruise to be distracted by the beauty of the animals, lands, sites, not stare at a drone flying overhead waiting and wondering if this is the day they get beaned in the head by a distracted kid and his hobby. Again, not policing you but I would have Hated to be on that amazing trip with you and fully understand now why they do Not allow our hobby onboard these ships.

And FYI, my guess is they were not Sad to see you crash. In fact my guess is they were Gleeful they could finally go up top safely again. lol

Yes, the problem was the moving ship while hte Mavic tried to hold iits home position. And yes, magnetic interference may have played a role, too.
Phantom and Matrice have a big advantage over the Mavic on ships, they allow taking off and landing in Atti mode.
In Atti mode the drone will keep its position after takeoff independent of the ships movement, at least for a few seconds before beginning to drift away due to wind and other influences. Landing is more easy, too.

Reactions: MrsTreat and Kilrah
I would never go on a cruise line that allowed people to fly their drones from the boat, just as I would not fly on an airline that allowed people to use their cell phones while in the air.

I think flying from a moving cruise ship is a problem that most likely solves itself. To be honest.

Phantom and Matrice have a big advantage over the Mavic on ships, they allow taking off and landing in Atti mode

Hmmm... still seems like a really bad idea.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka