DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed MavicPro into trees/leaves after 1 month =( ... need advice please!

billem16

Reactions
Ugh... I've been loving my MavicPro and have flown it safely for about a month now. I made such a rookie mistake last night. My Dad asked me to bring it over to fly above his house to check something on his roof. I flew up and was only looking at my phone screen/camera view, and started backing up to get a better view of the house, right into the top canopy of the trees behind his backyard. And I watched it fall from limb to limb all the way to the ground. It seemed to fall kindof gently through the leaves and limbs into pinestraw on the ground. I inspected it thoroughly and the only damage I see are a few blades have some cracks. I pray that's all that is wrong. I was mainly concerned if the gimbal was damaged but it looks normal. After cleaning it up I turned it back on after 10 minutes to see if it had any issues connecting or turning on. It turned on fine but it wouldn't connect to the camera. In other words, my RC was on, and drone was on, but when I clicked "Enter Device", it would go to the camera screen, but not show any live feed, just a black screen. So I thought I was screwed. I turned it off and tried again 5 mins later, and thankfully it connected and I could see out of the camera again. I did some of the calibrations, compass calibration, etc, etc. Gimbal did the normal twisting and rotating at power on, so it seems normal. But I won't know until I get some new blades and try to fly again.

Sorry for the rant. My Question to you all is.......
Are there any "must-do" steps after a crash?
Are there any tests I should run to make sure it is not damaged?
Is there anything specifically I should be looking at?

I admit I'm a newb hence my rookie mistake. So please tell me anything you can about what my next steps are. I'd appreciate it a lot!

Totally not worth inspecting my Dad's roof. Hope I don't have to send it in for repairs or anything.

If it was mine I'd give it a thorough inspection a 2nd time under good light, and of course replace the blades - all of them - being extra sure the new ones seem to go on correctly. After that probably just do some test flights i.e. over a grassy (soft) are only a few feet off the ground at first and then slowly going farther. Maybe some good fast rotations, dodges forward / back / left / right. If you can run out a battery at close range this way I think you're probably going to be fine.

Curious if others have more specific recommendations.

My son never looks up. I’m tied to the air. If I take my eyes off the drone for one second...I lose my drone and my backside puckers up! Two schools I guess. Actually my kid has more freedom than I do and I’ve been flying a year longer. But around houses and trees....I wouldn’t take my eyes off. As far as gimbal.... I had mine fall thru trees from 68ft. There are a few good Tubes that show what to do to fix gimbal if you are getting errors. It shows exactly how it should look....without the crash. Good luck. I don’t think it’s serious.

Reactions: billem16
Good news, I got new props at Best Buy (surprisingly cheap thankfully...compared to everything else related to drones) & she still flies perfect! Big lesson learned, i'll keep my eyes on the drone now and not be glued to my screen, ESP flying backwards.

Good news, I got new props at Best Buy (surprisingly cheap thankfully...compared to everything else related to drones) & she still flies perfect! Big lesson learned, i'll keep my eyes on the drone now and not be glued to my screen, ESP flying backwards.
Genuine DJI props? If not, I’d be careful!!

u complain to the dji. the tree shoudn,t be there

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS