DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed my new Mavic Air 2 on small island in lake in Montreal

Surely there must be someone who lives by the lake who has a small boat. For all it’ll cost them for fuel and their time a bottle of nice whiskey or whatever should do the trick. Most people are only too happy to help with these things. I know I would. Get door knocking with bottle in hand. Tell them it’s to recover an “aircraft”, and only let on it’s just a drone when the boat is launched LOL ?
I’ve been inspecting backyards for such boats, no luck so far. Maybe the whiskey bottle idea will work....but after he gets me there and back ?

I thought Refresh plus added another drone, not another year...
It adds one more refresh but only on the second year after the original had expired. It also extends the warranty where the refresh does not. You have to have a refresh left to get Plus, but he hasn't put a claim in yet so he's still eligible for Plus.

Last Friday I was getting too confident with the MA2 and didn't realize that collision avoidance is off in S mode. So it crashed on this small island with only trees. It about 500m offshore, but in late November I cannot not find anyone with a small boat to help retrieve it.

My choices are:

1 Find someone with a dinghy willing to help this late in the year
2 Wait and see if lake freezes over in February and attempt the rescue
3 Wait until next spring to do 1 above

I'm covered with DJI Care till Nov 2021. All I would need is to recover the drone to get replaced before expiry.
I'm attaching the flight records should any member be kind enough to share their insight. I'm interested to find out if it's possible to determine the altitude at crash time. This might tell me if it's at the top of a tree or crashed nearer to the ground. It appears to be the latter.

Thanks
PS a new MA2 is in on the way....can't wait till spring :))
The island looks like it has a lot of easy access. I can't imagine all those living around the water wouldn't have a small boat, canoe or kayak to borrow. Probably the only damage is to props right now, if you wait through the weather its toast. Go get it.

The island looks like it has a lot of easy access. I can't imagine all those living around the water wouldn't have a small boat, canoe or kayak to borrow. Probably the only damage is to props right now, if you wait through the weather its toast. Go get it
Thanks. It does. Looking for just that.

You lucky thing!
Now only waiting for the icefloor to reach a thickness of at least 4 inches to safely walk to your paper weight.

Or did you find a canu and paddle to the still functioning drone?

I'm so curious to find out what it has turned out.

Ruud

You lucky thing!
Now only waiting for the icefloor to reach a thickness of at least 4 inches to safely walk to your paper weight.

Or did you find a canu and paddle to the still functioning drone?

I'm so curious to find out what it has turned out.

Ruud
Not sure how lucky Ruud! No luck on any kind of boat. I haven’t yet checked if this part of the lake freezes over. In a similar location it does and is thick enough for ice fishing. I should probably take an ice pick along?
The operation will succeed, the patient will die, then the online resurrection process for a replacement can begin. Amen.

Stay tuned!

Reactions: RuudF
Hope you find it. I have never flown that far,I am big chicken. I own two Mavic pros one to rescue the other. So, far that has not happened, close calls, but always have a eye on it.

Reactions: RuudF and Shismo
I would print flyers with a brief description of the crash and with the 3D map showing the small island. Throw it in mailboxes around the lake with your contact info, locals will know a friend of a friend who has a boat.

Reactions: Shismo
I can't believe you don't know CA is off in sport mode. You still have to watch where your going anyway.

Another thought , go to a local discount store that sells the less expensive kayak or inflatable boats. With a kayak you could add a new dimension to where you fly and take pictures/ videos.

Another thought , go to a local discount store that sells the less expensive kayak or inflatable boats. With a kayak you could add a new dimension to where you fly and take pictures/ videos.
Thanks. That’s what I’m looking for. All Marinas and marine stores, this being late November, are either closed or can’t help. The search goes on! I’m hopeful.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada