DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CRAZY - FLYING in Narrow Canyon With Waterfalls

Hey, that's my Video!
Thanks for the feedback! I can agree its a long video... thank you for your honestly.
I should have broken that up into three sections as that was three different locations, normally I try to keep them shorter and at the 3 min mark.

Thank you for watching!

I'm new to MavicPilots, but have been hanging out in the InspirePilots forum for over a year, and the YuneecPilots one for a few years before I switched over the DJI. Lots of activity on this forum compared to the other ones, looking forward to being here.

Hey, that's my Video!
Thanks for the feedback! I can agree its a long video... thank you for your honestly.
I should have broken that up into three sections as that was three different locations, normally I try to keep them shorter and at the 3 min mark.

Thank you for watching!

I'm new to MavicPilots, but have been hanging out in the InspirePilots forum for over a year, and the YuneecPilots one for a few years before I switched over the DJI. Lots of activity on this forum compared to the other ones, looking forward to being here.

Thanks for posting the video - some of those shots took some real brass - nicely done

Thanks for posting the video - some of those shots took some real brass - nicely done

Thanks for the compliments. This is years of flying a Heli with no computer assist at all. Each landing use to cost $200 bucks for new blades and bent frame if not more... so you learn as fast as you can how to keep them in the air, or at least land without breaking stuff!

I actually didn't post this video on here, looks like one of my YouTube Channel subscribers (Aerial Gopher) subscribers did. So thank you to him for sharing the video with the group here. I actually only noticed when I got more traffic than I normally did for a 'drone video', and saw on the YouTube stats page that it was coming from this forum, and decided to check it out....

Again thanks for the feedback and compliments!

Very nice! I still haven't gotten to anywhere to get some great nature footage. Still practicing. I'm new so I'm not confident enough yet

Practice is what everyone needs. Learn the art and science of flying, get to know your gear and don't push yourself too early. I literally was flying in my back yard to learn (before they started with the more tense laws for drones). It can take a while, and the gear is not cheap either. So don't every feel you need to take risks that your not comfortable with, and don't rush. But do have some fun and get out to some locations that are flyable within your comfort zone! Confidence will build the more you fly. Your lucky to have a nice aircraft like the Mavic also, makes this more fun then the old days (which was like 2 to 3 years ago even!).

Reactions: FMR
Liked the music - can i ask what it is. Beyond that, beautifully filmed and for you, nice holiday footage but yeah, need to enjoy editing too : ) But I enjoyed it.

Thanks for the compliments; this music tracks used:
Dallex - Song: Lights https://audiograb.com/dFNbhhRz Orpheo - Daydreaming [XimerTracks] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCgoE...

Editing is probably not the most fun part of the hobby. The way I look at the editing is in a few ways. When the weather is not good for flying, I edit the footage I have. Second, the best part of this hobby is the social aspects - and there is no better way to share that then putting up some videos and getting feedback on YouTube. Meet some really cool people through YouTube, and the forums. Got to hang out with some really cool people.

My last trip to Hong Kong I got to spend the day with a guy I meet on the inspire forums, that worked with quantum computers! Ironically, he was buying stuff from a company called DWAVE, which is in Vancouver which I spend a good deal of time in. Another time, I did a "collab" video with some guys that live in Rural Alberta and build their own quads and flying wings! Not to mention, I did an off camera thing with Alan Yu from YouTube and we spent the entire day just hanging out and trying new things with his Mavic and Litchi.... (You can see his video on the broken Gimbal, I was there when that happened).

At the end of the day, this hobby has many aspects to it, and you can find enjoyment at different levels for each of them.

p.s. thanks for the compliments on the 'non drone' footage on my channel also. I have enjoyed the ability to travel in recent years and its been a blast!

Personally, I love editing but also know the truth is that for videos to music you really need hours of footage, taken from hundreds of different angles of dozens of different scenes. I no longer do but have worked in the film/ advertising industry and sometimes a number of small independent companies, ultimately dozens of people, with dozens of cameras will be all filming different things more or less at the same time and it gets edited right down. We of course just can't do that, or at least not most of the time so my editing point was a bit in jest really.

Thanks for the music titles.

Reactions: drone_video
Personally, I love editing but also know the truth is that for videos to music you really need hours of footage, taken from hundreds of different angles of dozens of different scenes. I no longer do but have worked in the film/ advertising industry and sometimes a number of small independent companies, ultimately dozens of people, with dozens of cameras will be all filming different things more or less at the same time and it gets edited right down. We of course just can't do that, or at least not most of the time so my editing point was a bit in jest really.

Thanks for the music titles.
Your welcome for the titles... and I agree with you on the drone footage kinda limits what angles you can use etc. I have not tried it myself yet, but it would be interesting to consider using slightly modified way point flights to get different angles on the same subject. I just thought of that as I was reading your post so not sure if its half baked... I think it would be interesting to setup a point of interest in say Litchi, and then have several flight plans to get different shots of the same subject... crazy maybe... But I think I may try that next time I'm out.

Cool video thanks for posting..... @drone_video thanks for making. Really nice shots . I'm learning to edit as well you have a lot of beautiful shots.

Thank you very much for the compliments. there is some really nice videos out there to learn to edit on youtube, they show some really nice tricks and tips. And there is a Channel ( Patrick Conlon - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpPO8vmB0sLK4ZpuT4U0wQQ ) where he shares some good tips and you can submit your work to him and he will offer some advice etc.

I have , probably a dumb question. But as someone who is placing an order for a Mavic and having zero drone experience, I will ask it!

The research I have done the last 6-8 weeks seems to say that trees interfere with the reception and is a dangerous fly, so is this video taken with the drone in site or was the OP up and away somewhere?
As long as you top the trees is the reception o.k?

Thank you very much for the compliments. there is some really nice videos out there to learn to edit on youtube, they show some really nice tricks and tips. And there is a Channel ( Patrick Conlon - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpPO8vmB0sLK4ZpuT4U0wQQ ) where he shares some good tips and you can submit your work to him and he will offer some advice etc.

That is the last one I have done I'm currently working one that I'm working on the timing of transitions monitoring scene to words better.

Reactions: drone_video

That is the last one I have done I'm currently working one that I'm working on the timing of transitions monitoring scene to words better.

I had a chance to took a look at the video. Looks pretty good. A few quick tips is that you should consider using parts of the clips that have smooth motion, where you shift camera positions for example, leave those out of the video. If you have a clip that you really like but you have that sudden camera movement, cut it, and put another clip or two between them cut to the beat of the music. Experiment (and don't be afraid) to mix up how you cut the video. The process is non-destructive, so you can always rework the video if you end up with something you don't like.

This is an example of a excellent format that I think we all would aspire to:

a) notice how he doesn't hold on to any clip for too long, and also cuts it to the music.
b) He also added sound effects to his video for things like the ocean, this was all added in Post (the editing process)
c) all of his clips are fluid motion with no quick changes in direction, all motion is subtle and smooth
d) he has a knack for telling a story. Notice how he tends to start up close to a subject, then show another shot further away so you can get some contact of what your looking at
e) This guy also tends to add b-roll like him driving to the location, to fill in the video and make it more interesting, this is part of his story.

I would say, this is one of the better/if not best channels for imitating as he does a really solid job. The hardest part of editing is cutting out stuff, and as you can tell from my latest work, I left too much in it. Its amazing how as the person who filmed and edited the footage, you feel like you have to leave more in the video than other people. Use the work of Man And Drone as a benchmark to help you get over the fear of cutting too much, and seeing ahead of time the type of shots you need to frame your story. Once you have that, you will develop your own style and grown as an artist.

Enjoy the Hobby/Art!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sam452