DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crazy out of control crash...

Kamakazi137

Reactions
Tonight I took my Mavic2pro out for a flight. Set up as normal, all good. Took off and hovered, a warning popped up about low light, it was getting dark but I've flown plenty of time in darker. I cleared the warning and went to move off then all of a sudden the thing flies off away up into the air and into a crazy arc down into the ground about 50m away.
The rear left arm is torn off completely. According to the flight log as soon as I take off GPS goes off, I didnt see any warning about this as I'm pretty sure I was frantically trying to regain control at the time.
I've messaged DJI but its Sat night and seems like they wont look at it until monday morning at earliest.
Absolutely gutted.
Where do I go from here?

Where do I go from here?
If you're trying to figure out what happened, then take a look at your TXT flight log. Otherwise, you'll need to wait patiently until DJI gets back to you.

Tonight I took my Mavic2pro out for a flight. Set up as normal, all good. Took off and hovered, a warning popped up about low light, it was getting dark but I've flown plenty of time in darker. I cleared the warning and went to move off then all of a sudden the thing flies off away up into the air and into a crazy arc down into the ground about 50m away.
The rear left arm is torn off completely. According to the flight log as soon as I take off GPS goes off, I didnt see any warning about this as I'm pretty sure I was frantically trying to regain control at the time.
I've messaged DJI but its Sat night and seems like they wont look at it until monday morning at earliest.
Absolutely gutted.
Where do I go from here?
POST YOUR FLIGHT LOG

I’ll have a proper look at them once I get home. According to the on phone logs straight after the low light warning it comes up with a ‘no gps’ warning which I didn’t see as it had shot off into the sky.
Surely even after losing GPS it shouldn’t have flown off unresponsive like that though right?

Surely even after losing GPS it shouldn’t have flown off unresponsive like that though right?
Nope. There's usually always a good reason why something like that happens.

Nah actually that is crazy bud !!! I fear almost every time I take off that something ignorant isn't going to happen ...I got my finger once zapped in a prop when I launched from a boat and we were drifting just enough that the drone , after take off , was about to head right into the T-Top ...I can't imagine what a 45 mph drone to the face would do from 150 ft !!! .... I just recently crashed my Mavic Pro , after a firmware update ... was flying .. got my 30% low battery warning ... was maybe 900 ft away ... all of a sudden drone went into critical low battery .. LANDING NOW !!!! Flipped up my goggles to try and override ... for some reason couldn't ... flipped goggles back down and low and behold , drone was bouncing up and down on the power lines right across the street !!! Finally i guess it had had enough of trying to land on the wires and trying to work its underside crash avoidance technique... and just decided to throw itself 25 feet upside down on the pavement ... 3 arms and a battery later . Like new again ...but that thought of something happening like a fluke outta the blue .... that's gonna stick for a while

Reactions: noosaguy
Absolutely gutted.
Where do I go from here?

There could have been a drone hater with one of these nearby.

Drone Killer 6 - Powerful UAV (GPS WIFI 5GHz) jammer - 120Watt

Absolutely gutted.
Where do I go from here?
Good luck with dji...they will blame you...I had the same thing occur with my mp2 with only 30 minutes flight time...it was blamed on me with no stick inputs on my part,so it was $345 to repair or $119 TO REPLACE,it chose replace and got the exact same original mp2 back...and it still has multiple issues all the time...just a $1500 paperweight at this point...hope you have better success with them than I did

Ok this is what my log coughed up..

View attachment 53635

Without seeing the actual log it's impossible to draw a definitive conclusion but, based on the ATTI switch and the flight path, it looks like magnetic interference at launch. If you want to know for certain, post the txt log and the mobile device DAT file (FLY070.DAT).

Reactions: survivor711
I had EXACTLY the same thing happen to my Mavic Pro.

I took off at night at a hotel out of town in Lake Charles, LA to show my friends how my drone flies.

As I was about to take off, some warnings came up about low light. I cleared it off as I was planning to just fly just to about 10 or 20 ft.

I took my drone up and wow. It took off on its own. This is in the hotel parking lot just at the entrance. Like 3 other random guests outside.

My Mavic took off on it's own and luckily did not go towards parked cars. It went towards the hotel cutting through some palm trees, hitting and crashing into the wall of the hotel just next to a guest's window.

The guests outside were scared and came up to find out what had happened.

Well, I contacted DJI and said drone malfunction. I sent flight log and they said my fault. Cost to fix it was $160 or so. I did not have DJI refresh. I haggled with them and they agreed to fix it for like $130. I sent payment for them to fix it. Instead of fixing it, they sent me a brand new drone with different serial number. The drone which crashed had so many crashes and gimbal was broken.

I was so happy getting a new drone with no scratches at all. Since then I have not flown any drone at night though I almost did tonight since i am out of town and wanted some night shots.

Maybe DJI will come up with some reason that it was pilot's fault. So your fault. I hope they give you a new drone if you send it to them to get it fixed.

Last edited:
I had EXACTLY the same thing happen to my Mavic Pro.

I took off at night at a hotel out of town in Lake Charles, LA to show my friends how my drone flies.

As I was about to take off, some warnings came up about low light. I cleared it off as I was planning to just fly just to about 10 or 20 ft.

I took my drone up and wow. It took off on its own. This is in the hotel parking lot just at the entrance. Like 3 other random guests outside.

My Mavic took off on it's own and luckily did not go towards parked cars. It went towards the hotel cutting through some palm trees, hitting and crashing into the wall of the hotel just next to a guest's window.

The guests outside were scared and came up to find out what had happened.

Well, I contacted DJI and said drone malfunction. I sent flight log and they said my fault. Cost to fix it was $160 or so. I did not have DJI refresh. I haggled with them and they agreed to fix it for like $130. I sent payment for them to fix it. Instead of fixing it, they sent me a brand new drone with different serial number. The drone which crashed had so many crashes and gimbal was broken.

I was so happy getting a new drone with no scratches at all. Since then I have not flown any drone at night though I almost did tonight since i am out of town and wanted some night shots.

Maybe DJI will come up with some reason that it was pilot's fault. So your fault. I hope they give you a new drone if you send it to them to get it fixed.

Do you still have the log? If so could you post it?

Do you still have the log? If so could you post it?

I do not remember if I still have it. How do we even send it to dji?

If it is through email, then I may still have it from my outbox. But if they access it remotely, then I may not have it.

I am out of town now and do not have my laptop to check if by chance I saved that flight log on it. May check when I get back home tomorrow night and see. If I find it, I will post for sure. But I think I may have their analysis of my flight log that they sent me in my email. May try to search on my phone. If not, will check when I get home on my laptop. Will update you.

Just searched and found my response from DJI interpreting my flight log.

Here is pic...

shihHBr.jpg

The warnings you mentioned were simply notifications that obstacle avoidance would not work because of low light conditions.
They did not indicate any problem.
Ok this is what my log coughed up..
That's a brief summary and doesn't show any of the important details.
If you want to find out what happened, go to DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

It would also help if you could describe the launch spot you used.

Reactions: Mile2102
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MemphisDrone