DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Criminal Drone Operators caught - Updated - NOT GUILTY!

rbhamilton

Reactions
Edit: Wow. Sorry for starting this thread. Looks like the couple accused was totally innocent. In fact there's some question as to whether drones were even ever present at the airport. Getting tough to know what to believe. But at least it's a good lesson for me - don't assume because somebody is arrested that they are automatically guilty.

I'll leave my original post up below.

======================================================================================================

It's hard to underestimate the harm the Gatwick Drone criminals have caused to the hobby. Not to mention intentionally disrupting hundreds of flights over a 36 hour period and shutting down a busy airport. Wow. I seriously hope they toss this pair into a wood chipper made of thousands of carbon fiber drone blades. If this doesn't get drones totally banned I don't know what will.

2 arrested in Gatwick Airport drone disruptions | CBC News

Last edited:
It's hard to underestimate the harm the Gatwick Drone criminals have caused to the hobby. Not to mention intentionally disrupting hundreds of flights over a 36 hour period and shutting down a busy airport. Wow. I seriously hope they toss this pair into a wood chipper made of thousands of carbon fiber drone blades. If this doesn't get drones totally banned I don't know what will.

2 arrested in Gatwick Airport drone disruptions | CBC News
I fear you're right. We can only wait for the kneejerk.

There's talk of more strict drone laws because of these idiots. The article also says that flying a drone within 1km of an airport will get you 5 years in prison. Why would more laws help? The people breaking current laws will break any new ones so the only folks that will be hurt are those of us who fly within the law.

I'm an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer and have a Private Pilot Licence also own a Mavic Pro. In the early days of Drones I could not understand how anybody can buy an aircraft without any training or knowledge of Aviation Law and fly where and when they want. I still don't understand it. I can't jump into an aircraft and fly it when i want, first I have to prove to the owner that I'm competent and then have to be tested regularly.

A bird ingested into an engine can create havoc, a bird is relatively soft. A rock hard battery hitting a fan blade doesn't bear thinking about.

Pic 1, bird impact was exactly where the pilot's head is.

Pic 2, is 3rd stage blades, 4th stage damaged as well, probably 500mm into the engine.

Bird 1.jpgBird 2.jpg

From day 1 it should have been a requirement to pass a test and register prior to purchase, including the make and serial number for traceability.

After all, the government chase you if you haven't paid a TV licence or not paid your road tax. All drones could have been traced.

It's just another case in this country that freedom is taken to the extreme by self-righteous morons, do what you want and don't consider others. The normal, law-abiding people suffer from these actions.

Where next???...........................Heathrow?

It doesnt matter how many laws they make, and without starting something, but like gun laws, guns don't shoot people on their own, people do. More drone laws won't help the drone didn't fly on it's own . Keep the government out as much as you can. Harsher penalties in my opinion is the only thing that would help.

From day 1 it should have been a requirement to pass a test and register prior to purchase, including the make and serial number for traceability.

I've thought the same. Still believe it should be a requirement.

It doesnt matter how many laws they make, and without starting something, but like gun laws, guns don't shoot people on their own, people do. More drone laws won't help the drone didn't fly on it's own . Keep the government out as much as you can. Harsher penalties in my opinion is the only thing that would help.
At least with operator licensing / registration you do start to make an environment where people are a bit more serious about their Drones and know that they aren't just toys. Advertising by DJI and other drone manufacturers just makes it look like you take it out of the box and off you go - you're an instant Drone flying top-gun! From all the noobie questions on this Forum, we know that's not the case. But in addition to technical and practical flying knowledge, there has to be a culture of 'responsibility' that's set up - and the only way to do that is to test for competency and then license. Same as done for somebody who wants to drive a car ...

SUSPECTED operators at this point. Looks pretty fishy so far.

We'd never have anything close to the machines we have now if sale was controlled, and as usual controlled sales would never do anything against someone with an actual intention of causing a mess.

Morning Everyone

I’m fairly new to the drones (I have a mavic air) and although I agree with training & licences etc it still won’t stop the problem. Visitors to this country will still be able to bring drones in in their luggage. Also the disruption could also be caused by other ROV’s (model aircraft etc).
The easiest way to reduce the problem is to deploy Geo-fencing. I thought DJI did this already in there firmware/software, but obviously not in the UK.
A quick software update would put all legitimate pilots in the clear as the police would only need to check software version to know if the aircraft is able to fly into restricted areas.
Seems a quick and easy way to solve the problem.

The easiest way to reduce the problem is to deploy Geo-fencing. I thought DJI did this already in there firmware/software, but obviously not in the UK.

We don't know if they were using DJI firmware/software or products.

Reactions: JimCanada
I thought DJI did this already in there firmware/software, but obviously not in the UK.
They do, so... people who want to make a mess simply use an old machine from before restrictions got added, other brands or DIY machines.

Last edited:
Pair questioned over drone sightings that closed Gatwick airport released without charge, Sussex Police say.

Suspects released without charge, no longer of interest to the police.
Thought this would happen, unfortunate that the Police held them in custody so long.

Reactions: Mach12
They do, so... people who want to make a mess simply use an old machine from before restrictions got added, other brands or DIY machines.
Firmware can be hacked but I still think there is more to this and like you it does seem fishy
to me still .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan